E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

IDrive Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Do I have a bad CCC unit, or cable? If cable, where can I get directions on how to open the panels to get to the unit?

Day 1:
Start car and Idrive initializes
500 yards after moving Idrive cuts out (black screen).
Park car and turn off key and restart and Idrive comes back on.
Everything seems normal.
Receive call via Bluetooth while in motion.
Stop car, and call still active.
Turn off and realize call was still on Bluetooth. End call

Day 2:
Get in car and high battery drain message.
Idrive reset 2 times while driving.
3rd time got black screen on Idrive
No-SOS Error message
Disconnect battery for 5 minutes, and reconnect, everything comes back on and looks OK.

Day 3:
Start car ? Systems Check OK (No messages)
Drive car and Idrive blacks out and No SOS Error Message on instrument cluster
Park car and disconnect battery
Leave disconnected for 30min, and reconnect.
Car starts fine, however No Idrive.
Drive the car for a few hundred yards and push the eject buttons and the Idrive boots up.
Park car, and Idrive seems to be fine.
Then I gently tapped on the leather panels (passenger side) and the Idrive reboots!!!
I let it turn back on, and once fully initialized I tap on the front leather panel between the buttons and the DVD drive, and it Reboots again!
I?ve successfully had the CCC reboot almost everytime I tap on the panel.
What?s going on?

Damn Gremlins!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Contributors

Also, Day 3 - Battery Voltage while parked = 12.7v, while running = 13.9v - it would seem no battery /or alternator issues?

Thx.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I would bet it's a battery dying on you!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
I would bet it's a battery dying on you!
I hope that's all it is :-), I'm in the process of setting her up on a trickle charger to see if that helps?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Members

I had very similar problems with my 06 E61. Sometimes the iDrive would go dark, BT would hook up to the phone, but when a call came in it wouldn't work.

Finally got the dealer to pay very close attention to it and they got BMW to approve replacement of the whole CCC unit. Haven't had a problem for five months.

They initially told me that it would likely be a battery problem. Turned out it was probably a hardware problem.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Members

check your sunroof seal, gutter system/drains... (no joke)
i had the same problem, hoping it was just a battery or software issue.

so what happened was my drains got clogged, so the water couldnt funnel out of the sunroof area properly. So what happeed was the water flowed along the channels on top of the car , than into the trunk behind all the interior trim. and deposited a pool of dirty rain water where the idrive module sits (in the trunk), and corroded the harness. unfortunaly i was not able catch this problem until it was too late. There were no visible signs of water, everything was hidden behind the interior panels

I had the exact same symptoms as you i kid you not, the screen would come on and off intermittently at random.

had to get my gutter drains cleared, sunroof seal replaced, new idrive module, idrive harness, and reprogramming,

was NOT a cheap fix
Old 04-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Update:

Replaced battery, and dealer registered battery today. They told me my most bus was down and they had cleared the error and it should be fine?

I had noticed I was not getting the correct oil level, after registration Oil level now reading correct. Idrive came back on, however when driving went over a bump and the drive blacked out. It would seem like something is loose inside the console.

Idrive turned back on after leaving it alone for a while, and I tapped on the side and it cut out.

I have to wait till late next week to bring it back in. I am really tempted to open up the panels to inspect the cables around the drive.

Do I have to remove the trim and get to it from the front, or can I remove the black plastic dash kick panels that wrap around the back of the center console to get access?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Hey 604 - my car has been garaged "ALL it's LIFE" no issues with drainage......

Ok - I've manageed to get the CCC Unit out. It is relatively easy to take the CCC out. I've opened and checked for any frayed cables/etc, and everything looks good.

I put everything back together, and the display came up the first time once I turned the ignition back on.

I think I have found the CULPRIT. I turned off the car, 2 button to completely shut down IDRIVE, and it is still sitting at the BMW logo after 5 min. Whatever is going on with the CCC unit caused my first battery drain. I had the original battery and it took a crap because of the drain!

Any further thoughts? Do you think it's something with the S/W or do I need a new unit. I am thinking of replacing the drive with a new one and getting the dealer to do the programming?
Old 04-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Contributors

Day 6:
Connect battery.
Ignition on, IDRIVE boots up to menu.
Turn ignition off, IDRIVE sits at BMW logo
Press CD Volume and Eject button and release and IDRIVE seems to have turned off completely.
No fan running anymore (silent)
Remove Key, and Exit and after a few seconds the Instrument Cluster (gear) & Push button lights go out
Car in sleep mode.

Could it be the Power Module?

Or a software glitch with the CCC that has been preventing the car from going into a "deep" sleep mode.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Contributors

Final Verdict = Bad CCC Unit Replaced.
Case Closed