E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

!!!HOWLING NOISE WHEN BRAKING HARD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)
Thumbs down

I'll tell you what it is - its my new drilled and slotted Centric rotors and Hawk HPS pads

The sound these things make when you really step on them is not at all unlike that of a jet reversing it's thrusters. First time I did it, I was like "whoa!!!! "

This also happens to be my first more-or-less serious mod I'm extremely happy with the outcome so far. Of course, I got a flat the next day and so, I can't even bed them in properly right now. Either way, I'm happy - I'll drive it for a little while more before I bed them in anyway.

Initial impressions were a little misleading - the pedal went soft at first, stopping power was criminally weak and I was already about to feel disappointed. But then, after about 50-60 more miles on the odo, I suddenly started feeling the bite getting real aggressive. Now its already up to the level of my OEM brakes or better - and these aren't even bedded in properly yet! So needless to say, I'm completely stoked about it (I'm not being too repetitive, am I? )

There is no brake squeal from this setup AT ALL. Dust also seems to have disappeared, but I can't be too sure about the dust, because I've got the doughnut spare on the car right now, so I'm not really braking heavily at all.

OK, I'll shut up and share a couple of pics I took when they were being installed at my indie:

!!!HOWLING NOISE WHEN BRAKING HARD!!!-photo.jpg
!!!HOWLING NOISE WHEN BRAKING HARD!!!-photo-3-.jpg
!!!HOWLING NOISE WHEN BRAKING HARD!!!-photo-2-.jpg

PROPS:

Big props to Anthony@BimmerBrakes The deal he gave me on these - even the guys at my indie shop said they cannot get them this cheap! Absolutely great guy to deal with.

Gotta say, even though usually I'm not their biggest fan, Tire Rack came through with the pads big time! UPS had them at my door the next morning after I ordered! WOW!

Thanks to Garry Romani for the deal on the OEM brake sensors and the quick shipping as well.

Gotta also give it up to Sergei and my boys over at Major Tire on McDonald Ave in Brooklyn. After all the crappy experiences with a whole lot of different indie shops in the area (and a few borderline criminal things my car has been subjected to at a couple of places - thankfully, all is corrected now except for one detail, that hopefully will be taken care of when my sideskirts go on), they came through in a HUGE way! All four rotors and pads swapped out for 120 American!!! That's including erasing the wear indicator from iDrive and resetting the service intervals. Best part - they let me stand over their shoulders and watch while they did everything. Super! Anyone wants to get their info, PM me - will be more than happy to get you in touch with them
Old 03-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Dang, I don't get any love?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Dang, I don't get any love?
EDITED

Michael is great
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Contributors

BTW here's a little repost of instructions on bedding in the brakes:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

GL y'all
Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 AM
Contributors

Nice mod Vlad!
Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Nice mod man!!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

now you can stop quicker Vlad to avoid those brutal potholes that keep giving you flats
Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by selbycy
Nice mod Vlad!
Thanks Tom! Totally worth it

Originally Posted by Krozi
Nice mod man!!
Yes, on a non-M car, brakes are one of those things that I now know need to be modded... come to think of it, I am edging closer and closer to the conclusion that one may as well get an M car and avoid the modding process somewhat - may be something to consider when I get my next ride.

Originally Posted by melimel
now you can stop quicker Vlad to avoid those brutal potholes that keep giving you flats
Yes! Now I just need to decide if I want to go with RFTs again or get some non-RFTs with wheel insurance and save myself some headaches