E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 545i "Battery voltage low" warning, flickering iDrive scr

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, weirdest thing. I have a 2004 BMW 545i that has about 62k miles.

On Friday I drove myself and some co-workers to lunch...maybe a 20 minute drive. Ate lunch over the next hour or so, went out to the car, got in it, it started up fine. One of the people I was with needed to stop at the post office, so I swung by there on the way back to the office. As we were sitting in the parking lot waiting for her to return, I shut the car off but left the key on so we could have some music playing. MAYBE a minute after turning the car off, I get a "Battery voltage low" warning on my iDrive screen (not sure that's the EXACT wording, but close). So I start the car up, and it starts fine. Warning message goes away. We drive back to the office, which is maybe a mile away, and as I pull into the parking lot, my iDrive screen starts flickering on and off. Then my ABS light pops on. After that, just about EVERY warning light/message starts flashing. TPMS, flat tire sensor, Transmission fault light, you name it, it came on. So I parked the car, and turned it off. Tried to start it up again, and it BARELY turned over. And it still threw all of the warning lights, as well as the iDrive screen not even turning on this time. I thought maybe the car sounded a bit funny as well, but it could've just been me being paranoid. I turned the car off, and tried starting it one more time. It wouldn't start. So I went up to the office and grabbed my stuff (as I was leaving for the day), and had a co-worker come down with me so he could give me a jump. Before we even got the jumper cables out to jump my car, I hopped in my car and tried starting it, and it started up fine. No warning lights, nothing. It's been fine all weekend, transmission shifts smooth, and I haven't had a glitch since. I did notice my clock had reset to dashes, but the date was still correct. My trip meter also reset itself, as well as my MPG reading on the BC.

Some background info might help. 4 Saturdays ago I got hit in the front left quarter panel due to some woman sliding into me during a big snowstorm. I just got the car back last Sunday, and this happens 5 days later? Would it be something related to that? The body shop put on a new front left quarter panel, and also installed a new front left headlight, as the other one cracked a little in the accident. My other thought is maybe some sort of fuse got jarred in the collision that could be causing problems (but I really didn't get hit that hard...so I wouldn't think it'd be that).

Anyone have ANY idea what this could possibly be? Regulator going bad? Alternator? I'm off to get the battery tested later today, but I can't imagine it'd be that, since the car has been fine since Friday.

Thanks anyone who helps out!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bbuchho90
OK, weirdest thing. I have a 2004 BMW 545i that has about 62k miles.

On Friday I drove myself and some co-workers to lunch...maybe a 20 minute drive. Ate lunch over the next hour or so, went out to the car, got in it, it started up fine. One of the people I was with needed to stop at the post office, so I swung by there on the way back to the office. As we were sitting in the parking lot waiting for her to return, I shut the car off but left the key on so we could have some music playing. MAYBE a minute after turning the car off, I get a "Battery voltage low" warning on my iDrive screen (not sure that's the EXACT wording, but close). So I start the car up, and it starts fine. Warning message goes away. We drive back to the office, which is maybe a mile away, and as I pull into the parking lot, my iDrive screen starts flickering on and off. Then my ABS light pops on. After that, just about EVERY warning light/message starts flashing. TPMS, flat tire sensor, Transmission fault light, you name it, it came on. So I parked the car, and turned it off. Tried to start it up again, and it BARELY turned over. And it still threw all of the warning lights, as well as the iDrive screen not even turning on this time. I thought maybe the car sounded a bit funny as well, but it could've just been me being paranoid. I turned the car off, and tried starting it one more time. It wouldn't start. So I went up to the office and grabbed my stuff (as I was leaving for the day), and had a co-worker come down with me so he could give me a jump. Before we even got the jumper cables out to jump my car, I hopped in my car and tried starting it, and it started up fine. No warning lights, nothing. It's been fine all weekend, transmission shifts smooth, and I haven't had a glitch since. I did notice my clock had reset to dashes, but the date was still correct. My trip meter also reset itself, as well as my MPG reading on the BC.

Some background info might help. 4 Saturdays ago I got hit in the front left quarter panel due to some woman sliding into me during a big snowstorm. I just got the car back last Sunday, and this happens 5 days later? Would it be something related to that? The body shop put on a new front left quarter panel, and also installed a new front left headlight, as the other one cracked a little in the accident. My other thought is maybe some sort of fuse got jarred in the collision that could be causing problems (but I really didn't get hit that hard...so I wouldn't think it'd be that).

Anyone have ANY idea what this could possibly be? Regulator going bad? Alternator? I'm off to get the battery tested later today, but I can't imagine it'd be that, since the car has been fine since Friday.

Thanks anyone who helps out!
If you have not replaced your battery yet, now is the time. Winter is when they go dead especially if its more than 4 years old.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Chances are your alternator is about gone after all these years and the battery is on its way out as well. I'd suggest to get a new battery and test the alternator thoroughly.

Tip: when having your alternator tested make sure it is a prolonged test, these alternators tend to work intermittently when deteriorating so the initial readings may be excellent but charging will stop later on, then recommence etc.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i Sport

i would check these out.....
Link 1
Link 2
This just happened to me=Link 3
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

After getting the car from body shop (with new headlight installed), I would see whether the car is going into sleep mode. Check the LED (orange light) on the shifter goes off after some time once the car is shutoff (and locked). If the car does not go to sleep mode. If you have some drain some where..

I am also suspecting your battery. especially yours is more than 7 year old car.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

My money is on your battery, I went thru the same drama with my E60.

Let us know once you get her fixed!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 05' 545i

Sounds like the same issues that I recently had with mine. I had a fairly new battery (about 4 months old) but I still had inermitten issues like you. I just replaced my alternator last night with a brand new Valeo alternator and so far it seems to have solved all of my issues! It took about two hours to replace the alternator by myself. I would suggest buying a voltmeter from your local parts store to keep an eye on what your car is doing. I bought one that plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter and it was running at 12V +/- .50V (Running off of the battery) and every once in a while it would jump up to 14V +/- .50V (Running off of the alternator). I narrowed it down to the alternator/voltage regulator being bad. Since the install, the car starts up to 14V +/- .10V and runs a lot smoother without charging faults and other error messages.