Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Rotate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport
Default Rotate?

Sounds like a stupid question but the dealer said not to worry about it..goes against everything my pops taught me.

Non-stagered Run-Flats OEM 135M wheels.

I know that there are plenty of RF enemies around here, but Im stuck with these a while so please let me know what yall think to help make these hunks of rubber last.
Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plowery21
Sounds like a stupid question but the dealer said not to worry about it..goes against everything my pops taught me.
Non-stagered Run-Flats OEM 135M wheels.
I know that there are plenty of RF enemies around here, but Im stuck with these a while so please let me know what yall think to help make these hunks of rubber last.
Thanks
There is a lot of debate about this. Here's my experience.
(1) Most BMWs tires wear in a distinct manner (front and rear set wear 'differently')
(2) IF you notice HEAVY tire wear (say on inner treads, etc) by the time you notice it it may not be a good time to rotate.
(3) Some BMWs wear the rear tires more heavily than the front (wonder why )
(4) Some BMWs tires "wear evenly" - that the case, there may be no benefit to rotating except to balance front to rear tire wear. (see #3)
(5) IF you decide to rotate, and your tires set / wheels are NOT STAGGERED, rotate OFTEN (every 5,000 mi or less) and rotate only FRONT TO REAR and visa-versa. NEVER NEVER x-Rotate radial tires - Pay attention to (radial) tire rotation!!

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if you do have staggered wheels, you shouldn't rotate straight across if they're non-directional tires? And on non-staggered sets I've always thought that you do cross rotate fronts to back, then backs straight to the front...

TireRack seems to back me up on this, plus some other options:
Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions

I've never thought it would do much good to rotate them straight across, but was thinking of doing it for the heck of it, to see if I notice any different wobbles or anything...I'm feeling a little vibration at a certain speed range and thought it might help to determine where it's coming from.

166's staggered

Last edited by Crckrjck; 01-02-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
So if you do have staggered wheels, you shouldn't rotate straight across if they're non-directional tires? And on non-staggered sets I've always thought that you do cross rotate fronts to back, then backs straight to the front...

TireRack seems to back me up on this, plus some other options:
Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions

I've never thought it would do much good to rotate them straight across, but was thinking of doing it for the heck of it, to see if I notice any different wobbles or anything...I'm feeling a little vibration at a certain speed range and thought it might help to determine where it's coming from.

166's staggered
I try to rotate my tires (by rotate, I mean I go to the tire shop, have them dismounted and remounted on the wheel directly across from the one it was on) about every 5-10k miles. I have a staggered set, so putting my rears on the front won't work at all. Since the rears especially tend to wear on the inside edge, due to BMW spec alignment being -2.0 degrees of camber, it is a good idea to swap the tires in the rear for peace of mind. Using the method of swapping instead of normal rotation, and having as much of the camber dialed out in the rear as possible (spec is -2.0, I have mine at -0.8) my rear tires have lasted me over 18 months. Which is pretty good for ultra high performance tires considering I went through 6 sets of rears in the first 2 years with 20's and I haven't changed them since the alignment.