Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Leaky rims anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:08 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Default Leaky rims anyone?

Just curious how many of you are having issues with your 10 or so year old alu rims not holding air.
Got me an apt with Costco tomorrow to fix mine as since they installed my new Pilot Sports last spring got me leaky rims ever since and they say it,s because rims are now over ten years old and they corrode loosing their seal around the rim, maybe so but then again old tires were just fine and my E 39 rims were much older and never had an issue like this either so I think they are BS'n me.......
Old 04-29-2015, 09:37 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I don't buy that argument. Your rims are made of Al and any corrosion is just Al oxide. That is easily cleared off with a ScothBrite pad or similar.

Do you have new valve stems? Do you maybe have a nail you haven't discovered yet?

Maybe the last installer used crapy valve stems or didn't change them.

Maybe the last installer skipped using the bead sealer when mounting the tires or waited too long after applying the sealer before mounting the ires on the rims.

I have a 10 year old e60 and my rims hold air fine all the time.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:17 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by twh
I don't buy that argument. Your rims are made of Al and any corrosion is just Al oxide. That is easily cleared off with a ScothBrite pad or similar.

Do you have new valve stems? Do you maybe have a nail you haven't discovered yet?

Maybe the last installer used crapy valve stems or didn't change them.

Maybe the last installer skipped using the bead sealer when mounting the tires or waited too long after applying the sealer before mounting the ires on the rims.

I have a 10 year old e60 and my rims hold air fine all the time.
Thanks for seeing it the way I do.......I was not impressed with the job but did not want to complain. About the different valve stem lengths an different color caps on them nor the lead clamb on balance weights the used last summer but this time I did mentioned it, I believe I just lucked out on their worst performing employee...LOL, but looks all good now weights are now the plastic covered stickpins instead as well.

They re-sealed all 4 today and put new stems on so keep my fingers crossed.