Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by -Mike-
did you replace your shocks as well or just springs? I've read that you should replace both to do it correctly?

i'd be curious to hear your experience thus far, including ride comfort etc. I've heard they are somewhat "bouncy" as well?

springs are relatively inexpensive solution to the 4x4 look, but I've read the horror stories on here with one guy using a razor to cut his bump stops

obviously, would prefer not to get into that mess

thanks for sharing

I didnt have to trim or cut nothing, just took the old ones out and put the new ones in. I haven't had the ride problems Dr. Lev had an I'm running factory shocks (my car only has 55,000 km on it).

I drive on pretty decent roads for the most part so the ride is fine. If you have lots of uneven bumpy surfaces I would look at coils. I couldnt justify the cost for coils since this mod cost me $300 installed. I figured I would try it out, snap some nice pics at the very least and if it was nasty I could take them off.

Car rode great all winter so looks like I will be keeping them for another year or two.

When its time to replace the shocks I will go with coils.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
I didnt have to trim or cut nothing, just took the old ones out and put the new ones in. I haven't had the ride problems Dr. Lev had an I'm running factory shocks (my car only has 55,000 km on it).

I drive on pretty decent roads for the most part so the ride is fine. If you have lots of uneven bumpy surfaces I would look at coils. I couldnt justify the cost for coils since this mod cost me $300 installed. I figured I would try it out, snap some nice pics at the very least and if it was nasty I could take them off.

Car rode great all winter so looks like I will be keeping them for another year or two.

When its time to replace the shocks I will go with coils.
Wow, $300 installed...that's awesome. Did you have a local shop install them? You're convincing me to do this now.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by -Mike-
Wow, $300 installed...that's awesome. Did you have a local shop install them? You're convincing me to do this now.
I had a friend install them for $125 and I bought them used from here He said it was no different then working on his E30. Dealer would be much more im sure
Old 03-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ultimatum
Is it true that Miros tend to crack more than VMRs? They are both gravity cast wheels but I've read that some have had not so good experience with Miro wheels. On the other hand, VMR customers are almost always satisfied.
Miro's crack and bend. First hand experience here.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 White 530xi

I found a set of style 162's off a 335i, front rims 18 x 8 offset 34 and rear rims 18 x 8.5 offset 37. Will these rims look nice with that offset and what size tires would be recommended for no rubbing. thanks chris
Old 03-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by LeMans
Miro's crack and bend. First hand experience here.
Miro's are not alone in that department. Several New York area members have reported bends in their VMR V710s in the past year.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Let's be honest, guys, OEMs crack and bend just as much IMHO. I should say, I've never had any experience with Miro or VMR first-hand, but my OEMs have been repaired plenty of times. And doesn't everyone still remember those horror stories about 124s with split barrels? I'm not sure that when you look at these stories, Miros and VMRs still look as bad as they are presented to. They are definitely ok to use on smooth roads though.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown'
By the way, a special plug for Michael at Acute. He is patient, very customer oriented, and has excellent prices. While I may not end up with DPE's for this car, whenever I do decide to get a set, it WILL be from him
[quote name='v_therussian;1127389]Michael is definitely a great guy to deal with. I've purchased my RPI scoop and BMC filter from him and it was an absolutely flawless transaction. He also happens to have a set of DPE ST-10 (or is S-10?) forged wheels in the classifieds right now - for anyone who wants a set of custom 20s on their Xi

And yes, I keep the Xi faith alive [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

i love te37... but idk..

just go with miro or vmr... or wheels that is easy to find just incase it get damaged and you can get replacement easily...

but you should buy my steering first lol
Old 03-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

not sure about aftermarket, but i'm looking at style 128's from a x3,i put this in the e61 forum as well.

stock: 7.5 x 17 et 43

x3 style 128's
front 8.5 x 19 et 46 i'm figuring nice fit maybe cosmetic spacers
rear 9 x 19 et 51 this might be close on the strut side so mandatory spacers 10-15mm

will they fit?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi