Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!
View Poll Results: See Topic Title and Topic Description for the question.
In a new 5-Series Performance Forum
62.96%
In the E60 Discussion
37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Where would U prefer to see all types of 5-Series per-

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Please see the discussion here. Then, do the poll. Note that 5-series performance of all types (e.g., straight line, twisties, braking, top speed, etc.) is such an important topic that it seems better that performance posts not be mixed sporadically with multitudes of other types of topics. Historically, this topic's importance has kept it in the E60 Discussion.

Also, having a separate forum for performance should eliminate disagreements about where topics dealing with 5-Series performance, per se, and in relation to other cars (BMW's or otherwise) should be housed. In this regard, what should matter in deciding where a topic is housed ought to be its content and not its title. Also, those who don't like to see performance posts or certain types of performance posts could easily avoid the "5-Series Performance Forum" (suggested name for the new forum). Finally, the Competition Forum would be a terrible place for 5-series performance topics for several reasons: sometimes the topic is about 5-Series performance per se; (2) sometimes the issue is comparative 5-series performance; and (3) the Competition forums is largely irrelevant to 5-series performance since its focuses tend to be cars other than BMW's and very, very frequently non-performance issues.

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Just my two cents, but I would hope a better "performance" descriptor is used if the new forum was created.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Isn't the performace discussion already within the M5/M6 section?
Old 11-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='359787' date='Nov 23 2006, 12:12 PM
Just my two cents, but I would hope a better "performance" descriptor is used if the new forum was created.
Maybe the word "performance" should be used in a performance-related thread's title or subtitle whichever place the thread is posted if performance is the issue under consideration. Then, the thread shouldn't be moved, with one exception, since the implication is that the poster is talking about performance and not, for example, meeting and greeting. The exception would be if the topic turns out not to actually have to do with performance.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='359791' date='Nov 23 2006, 12:15 PM
Isn't the performace discussion already within the M5/M6 section?
Just M5/M6 Performance is in that forum.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I think a performance forum is a good idea. Only dificulty as Imola pointed out is what we should define as performance. Things like Znod's straight line discussions, Vegas' competitive runs and the like are interesting and probably important enough to have their own forum.

One other thought, for those interested in this kind of stuff, is that we have a couple of forums that frankly see very little activity right now (press articles etc). May be worth using one of those as the place where those who are in the know and want to follow the discussions can find it. Bet we've got 10 or more theads that are performance related for every one in a couple of our current forums.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='359798' date='Nov 23 2006, 12:24 PM
I think a performance forum is a good idea. Only dificulty as Imola pointed out is what we should define as performance. Things like Znod's straight line discussions, Vegas' competitive runs and the like are interesting and probably important enough to have their own forum.

One other thought, for those interested in this kind of stuff, is that we have a couple of forums that frankly see very little activity right now (press articles etc). May be worth using one of those as the place where those who are in the know and want to follow the discussions can find it. Bet we've got 10 or more theads that are performance related for every one in a couple of our current forums.
Check out the things I said in post 1. I think I zeroed in very well on what the 5-Series performance forum should contain, but my mind is open to other ideas (presumably additions). I may have been confused about what IRed was talking about. I thought he was talking about what's in the title of a thread that would identify it as a performance thread.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I'm in favor of new performance forum.

The problem I see is that our admins/moderators are not fond of racing threads which we'll most likely see in this new performance forum I personally don't see a problem with racing threads.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Busta' post='359801' date='Nov 23 2006, 12:34 PM
I'm in favor of new performance forum.

The problem I see is that our admins/moderators are not fond of racing threads which we'll most likely see in this new performance forum I personally don't see a problem with racing threads.
Mark/das did not want "Kills" threads, but indicated that even street racing threads would be tolerated, although such activities could and would not be condoned no matter how carefully controlled (e.g., as the So. Cal. group does). If the mods are doing something inconsistent with what Administration wants, the they should cease and desist. If Administration has changed its mind, then we should be informed.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Znod' post='359799' date='Nov 23 2006, 12:29 PM
Check out the things I said in post 1. I think I zeroed in very well on what the 5-Series performance forum should contain, but my mind is open to other ideas (presumably additions). I may have been confused about what IRed was talking about. I thought he was talking about what's in the title of a thread that would identify it as a performance thread.
we're on the same page - your description was fine.

Quick Reply: Where would U prefer to see all types of 5-Series per-