Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

URGENT MESSAGE TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just tried to get an online insurance quote (UK) for a 3 year old M5, 18 year old student with "other" income. Not a single quote, not even silly money, just all refused.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

yeah...my cousin who is 19 wanted to get an M3 and his insurance guys basically said NO and then they asked for 1200 pounds a month.... basically saying GTFOH!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi- Alpine White, Natural Brown Interior, Sport Pack, Premium Pack, Comfort Access, 20 way Multi-contor seats, Navigation, 18" rims, Cold Weather Pack

i know that theres has been much argument on the forum about 550 and 535, but the 300hp in my car is scary to me sometimes. Im only 26 so thats the fastest car ive ever owned, hopefully i can afford an m5 one day myself. My first car was a Toyota tercel so i think ive paid my dues and have earned what i own by myself. The fastest car ive eve driven was my father in law's porsche 911 and i could see how you can over due it in a supercar like that and i only drove it for 30 mins. I couldnt imagine driving 500hp everyday! My father always taught to respect what i own by working hard for it and sweating for it this way you care for it and think twice before your frivolous with it!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='538400' date='Mar 2 2008, 04:04 AM
yeah...my cousin who is 19 wanted to get an M3 and his insurance guys basically said NO and then they asked for 1200 pounds a month.... basically saying GTFOH!
?14,400 per year. $28,800.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

His parents should know one thing. It's hard to drive a M5 under 100 mph.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Contributors

Just because a kid has to buy his/her own car doesn't mean it will be safe. When I was 16 (1982) I bought a 1973 Mustang Fastback with money I had worked very hard for ($1,700). It had a 3 speed manual (crazy huh) and my friend and I worked on in his driveway - I added a holley 4 barrell carb, ported and polished the heads, mickey thompson tires on cragger mags, etc. For it's time the car was pretty quick and I definately exceeded 100mph. No airbags, no abs, etc. The car finally met it's end late one Friday night having hit a snow bank on the side of the road, all four wheels leaving the ground and crashing into a building. (Note to lawyers: the statue of limitations has long passed for anything I may have done in or with that car).

Here's my point: a small budget does not mean your kid won't buy a powerful or unsafe car. When my kids start to drive I would rather they be in something that has new tires, ABS, airbags, stability control, 5 star crash rating and low HP....so a base mode 4 door volvo or something, and since that isn't part time job money, I will suppliment to make sure their first couple of years behind the wheel is in a safe vehicle.

I am a responsible 40+ adult and it takes all my judgement to drive an M5 everyday and not do something stupid. I just can't image having a ride like that at 18 - a crash is really just inevitable.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='538344' date='Mar 1 2008, 05:21 PM
My friends M6 has settings in the idrive. You can select 400 hp only, 400 then 500 with sport button or default to 500 hp. I would think the M5 would be the same.
In iDrive, there's a setting for M Drive (the M button on the steering wheel). For power, the options are 400, 500 or 500 Sport. You can't select it to only limit the car in 400hp mode. There's a Power button on the center console by the shifter that will take you to 500hp directly.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yes anything online is public. I know. nothing new. Facebook, Myspace, anything you search in google or yahoo and what not, they are all archived. Searches are archived for around 18 months, Facebook and myspace archives things within hours and are kept for years and can be recovered anytime the courts want them. or if an employee decides to sell them HAHA.

So Nothing is private on the internet. Dont post a pic of a hooker giving you a lap dance on facebook if you dont want your next boss to find it. Companies "google" employees and go through about 18 pages of returned searches. And if you're going for any sort of clearance Good luck they'll find it all. They dont spend a 550 on you for no reason.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='538349' date='Mar 1 2008, 08:30 PM
You're correct I missed it and I did not realize how tragic this was.

My point here today was the possibility of what we write here on this forum making it into an attorneys hands and used against us in court.
For the record: I got the Dinan software really just to tow my boat easier.

you did a good job covering yourself....Who tows a boat with an e60?????????
Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='538500' date='Mar 2 2008, 04:56 AM
Yes anything online is public. I know. nothing new. Facebook, Myspace, anything you search in google or yahoo and what not, they are all archived. Searches are archived for around 18 months, Facebook and myspace archives things within hours and are kept for years and can be recovered anytime the courts want them. or if an employee decides to sell them HAHA.

So Nothing is private on the internet. Dont post a pic of a hooker giving you a lap dance on facebook if you dont want your next boss to find it. Companies "google" employees and go through about 18 pages of returned searches. And if you're going for any sort of clearance Good luck they'll find it all. They dont spend a 550 on you for no reason.
It's not only what people post about themselves. We recently interviewed a round of interns from leading universities and one of the more promising candidate's, when Googled, has a very nice article in the school newspaper telling the world she was arrested for drug possession on campus. That won't fade away easily.

Quick Reply: URGENT MESSAGE TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS