Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

URGENT MESSAGE TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have three boys, and none of them will get cars bought for them. They will need to buy their own - that way, they will initially have to buy cheap shitty cars and learn how they work. That's how I did it myself. If somebody had given me a Ferrari at age 18, I probably would not be here today.

Much of the responsibility has to lie with the parents. There is no good reason to give young kids such powerful cars. History alone shows that this is a bad idea.
What he said !!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='538326' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:20 PM
P400 is not a valet mode. It's the default setting until you push the power button and there's no way of disengaging it. And even in P400, the M5 is just as lethal. You can still reach max speed.
My friends M6 has settings in the idrive. You can select 400 hp only, 400 then 500 with sport button or default to 500 hp. I would think the M5 would be the same.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='538331' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:27 AM
You don't need to argue with an 18 yr old. How about just not buying him the M5 ( or letting him drive yours) - it's just crazy. I never listened either - but I also never had access to a 500HP car.

I have three boys, and none of them will get cars bought for them. They will need to buy their own - that way, they will initially have to buy cheap shitty cars and learn how they work. That's how I did it myself. If somebody had given me a Ferrari at age 18, I probably would not be here today.

Much of the responsibility has to lie with the parents. There is no good reason to give young kids such powerful cars. History alone shows that this is a bad idea.
I kinda agree with you. but my personal experience would show otherwise.

My first car was a 12 year old ?100 piece of crap in 1978. I had to buy it and insure it myself. Being young and inexperienced I made a mistake and crashed it. Lost job, 3 months off work due to injuries. My son, now 19, was bought his first car - approx ?2,400 6 years old, at 17 years. I was all for the old crap car route, but my wife didnt agree. A year or so later, my son has to do 30 miles a day in a car with a low crash rating. So, we figured that as our son was living at home whilst attending local university, we had no expenses to support him living away from home, so we upgraded his car to a new Fiat Grande Punto with 5 star NCAP rating - as opposed to the 2 of the earlier car. (If my son had been in an accident in the other car, my wife would have ensured i was the next fatality!) In 2 1/2 years of driving, he has been without accident and is a VERY careful driver. When he had his first car he came home alomost in tears as he had made a small mark on the back against a post whilst reversing. It literally did 'buff out'.

All that said, hes driving a 95hp car. No way would I have though of buying him something powerful. In any case, insurance in the UK is ballistically expensive for young drivers in the UK. Josh - the M5 driver, obviously came from a monied family with a lack of sense.

I think in the UK any court action would have been against Josh's insurance company. There certainly wouldnt be any inferred manslaughter or murder implications - i dont think dead people can be found guilty of that. Death by misadventure would likely be the coroner ruling.

regarding the M button..... ive been a passenger in an M5 - with the button off the car seemed to lose a lot more than 100 horses. In any case, Josh may have flown just a few feet less into the tree had he only a mere 400hp......

I have seen posts on this site before when someone in USA complained that the cost of putting their 16 year old daughter on their E60 insurance was expensive............ shouldnt it be?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='538335' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking pennetta didn't see the original thread where we discussed this tragedy:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=49937
You're correct I missed it and I did not realize how tragic this was.

My point here today was the possibility of what we write here on this forum making it into an attorneys hands and used against us in court.
For the record: I got the Dinan software really just to tow my boat easier.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Members

I read this and i have to respond. I know its scary that they check posts, but its horrible when people die. I am 18 years old and own a 2004 530i. My good freind last may who owned a brand new 335i, was tragically killed in his car. The day before he told me he had pulled the limited off, and i warned him, but he didnt listen. His car was supposedly going about 160mph on impact, and to this day i still have a piece of his headlights which i found 200 ft from the impact site. It was horrible for all my freinds and my whole school, so please everyone listen to what adentonmiller said. Dont buy your kid an M5. Even my car is too fast. This is ridiculous.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Ive seen kids with M3 at 16. So a 18 year old with a M5 does not surprise me.

I do feel bad for the families.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Although this is less likely to happen on a 5-series site (I would think), I have read about Mitsubishi monitoring the posts on the Evo sites to void the warranties of those who track their cars. Not only may attorneys be reading, but the manufacturers are definitely reading. I wouldn't post about how your after-market computer mod blew your turbos and then go to BMW and try to get them to cover it under warranty.

Also, as an attorney, I know I had a case in private practice where I asked the other side via interrogatories for any screenames he used on any websites as well as web addresses for any forums where he regularly posted. All of the information you put out here is discoverable, so be careful.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='538349' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:30 PM
For the record: I got the Dinan software really just to tow my boat easier.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Members

Sad that my first post has to be on this particular topic but shit man, RIP the four passengers, but as for the driver...............

And someone else tried to do a calculation of the initial speed of the projectile(the M5) and 65 is plausible however unless the we know what the tire manufacturers coefficients of friction are, the exact distance skidded by the car(even then the skidding does not decrease the cars speed evenly throughout braking), and the angle at which the car creased the tree we can only speculate.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='538331' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:27 PM

I was allowed to have a car at 17. I was not allowed to borrow $ to obtain it. I had to work and save until I had earned 90%. My Dad chipped in 10%. It was a used Chevy that needed some minor work. I had to pay for the repairs, maintenance, tags, and gas. I had to pay for insurance (at least a portion of it since I was on my Dad's policy). Needless to say, I quickly learned the cost and responsibility associated with having my own wheels. Sure I drooled over new Camaro Z28's and Mustangs and wished I could have one. But looking back, this was the right decision and I am greatful to my parents every day for making me get my first car this way.

Quick Reply: URGENT MESSAGE TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS