Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Some of you looked in a mirror today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Well said, guys

I just shook my head at the aggressiveness/hostility of some recent posts.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='1019797' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:40 PM
I want to give a big round of thanks and praise to Iceman and Rudy for their hard work since becoming moderators of the forums but most especially over the last month or so. Many of you probably don't know but I was away on vacation for 3 weeks in Poland visiting family with my fiance (hers & mine) in late August and the first half of this month. This was about the time period when things were beginning to get out of control. It's funny how this always seems to happen when I travel. It's not the first time. Anyway, Iceman and Rudy handled things to the best of their ability and I can not find fault in anything they have done. Believe me, it is not easy to "put your foot down". It is impossible to please everyone but we try our best. Thank you Rudy! Thank you Iceman!

I've tried to catch myself up to what's been going on and honestly I'm a little lost because it seems that everyday different people are in some kind of heated discussion. This is inevitable as the forum grows. So I have layed low and let things play out. Finally when I thought things were under control, new drama occurs. I expect the best from everyone here, not only from our senior members but from new members a like. New members should not be bashed on the first question they ask and told to use the search button. Sure they could search, some do, some don't, some think it's exciting to ask a question and get fresh answers. Our new members have just as much excitement about the E60 as we all had and do when we first got the car. As we each own the car for longer and longer, we begin to think that such questions are repetitive and maybe they are to you but not to the person asking. Just remember, each member is in a different period of E60 ownership. I could go on and on but I'll use only that one example.

I would hope that all members would respect each other as you would respect others outside of the Internet. Discipline here has been extremely light and we'd like to keep it that way. We've banned very few members in the last 5 years other than hundreds of spammers. It's my belief that in most volatile situations the members involved need a "cooling off" period which I would hope those members could take on their own as needed to calm their nerves. However, should problems continue, we have discussed possibly using temporary account suspensions for a day, a few days, a week, whatever the time frame but hopefully we won't have to.

I want to end by thanking Iceman & Rudy once again. Everything they do may not be perfect, but who is? I believe we've done an amazing job in running this forum the past many years. New members and old members a like always say how great a community we have here as compared to "other" forums. Lets not become like the "others". We're better than that and lets act like it!
+100 lomag.. ive never understood the search button thing at all.. in fact i posted a thread about it a while ago, and it upset quite a few people it just seems like a silly thing for people to get upset about.... and sorry about my wizard of oz post if it offended you, some folks were going crazy over it... it was just a joke

thx to u all for having such an awesome forum
Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I just hope that the tone of this place improves and that our mods' intervention helps to bring back a greater level of civility and respect.

I really care for this forum and there is no better place on earth to talk about and share our passion for our cars.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Good thing I didn't "pull a Calton" on you, Iceman - you know I came close All throughout reading that post I was thinking "he must be joking!" but you know me - ain't like I'm gonna say "screw you guys, I'm leaving"

well, we "live to fight another day"... like I always tell you kids: its all about ... well, you know
Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1019704' date='Sep 28 2009, 07:01 PM
Hey pj,

I think I need to make it clear again:
The contents of the messages I posted today were serious.
The way I posted them was intentionally over the top to wake everyone up and let some of the members here look in the mirror and see the ugly face of such offensiveness.

But the messages itself were serious...

Iceman, I understood when you mentioned that the message was serious. It was also effective.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I just sat back reading all the posts back and forth....the truth is we really DON'T know each other that well, so if Iceman went ballistic, it was news to me, and I just sat back a bit longer to see how this was going to play out! We all portray ourselves in a manner we see fit, and I suspect under the surface of everyone of us is a slightly different person than our on screen self. So to summarize, I was fairly shocked at the tone etc. of Iceman's posts, but I must confess I only TRULY know him from the words on the screen and had to believe that perhaps I was seeing another side of our beloved Moderator! Point taken Iceman, we ALL are somewhat responsible for the tone and content around here, whether we are posting a "Questionable" thread or simply overlooking bad behaviors from any other member here. LETS FIX THIS NOW!! Before we really do lose any more members!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Hello everyone!

Thank you for the feedback I received here and in PM's.

I have to admitt, nobody was more nervous than me yesterday.
I was sitting here, watching the forum and where members go, the entire day, refreshing the forum again and again and again...
I was not so sure if I was doing the right thing but thought it's time for a try.
And I think that especially our veteran members got in a shock when reading my posts, but they started thinking about what's going on here. And that's a good thing and just what I wanted.
I had noticed the changes we go through. We discussed it a lot amongst us mods & admins. But there was one thing, after we started to clean it up and make it the community we all loved once and hopefully still do... Many veteran members, extremely well respected members that are important for our community on different levels, who have chosen to come back after we talked to them and promised to intervene more than in the past, used a different approach and aggresivness in their postings. That was a bit surprising for us to see and became a problem...
It's not easy to tell someone you just asked to stay to please don't post in that agressive manner, so I thought about measures that would help.
I then remembered a nice
and thought... let's give it a try.

So, after that, I want to thank Lomag for his post and I want to especially thank Rudy, who was in touch with me yesterday... obviously a bit disturbed and surprised about my posting style. I have let EVERYONE in the dark about it, even him, what is absolutely unusual, since we nomally discuss everything and decide together. Thanks for your patience Rudy! I's a pleasure working with you!!!

Now, let's be a friendly community to EVERYONE, even members who got previously banned (if we mods and admins decide to give them another chance).
Watch your posting behavior and PLEASE use the REPORT function whenever you find something that is questionable somehow.
Let us deal with it!
Veterans, please be friendly to the newbs. Answer their questions and help them or just leave their posts alone.
Newbs, try to not be on the nerves of the veterans, by post whoring too much.
And to ALL: RESPECT each other!
Every individual deserves the same respect, as a human. Some of course get more respect for their knowledge or behavior or whatever, but in the end we are all the same. We are car enthusiasts, sharing the passion for our cars. No one is better here because of post counts, time of membership or his job. And if you experience problems with someone, let us know. Don't just go off in public. Allways remember the feeling you had when reading my posts yesterday. If you don't want to be treated that way, don't treat others that way!

Thank you everyone, especially for the feedback. And sorry I was playing my dirty little game with you yesterday, but I thought I had to go this drastic way.
Those that were effected directly... Don't take it too personal. Allthough the content was serious, the posting style was the game I played. Don't feel offended, just think about what you felt yesterday and don't forget this incident and the feeling you had when posting in the future.

Thanks again!

Sincerely Yours,

Andr? "Iceman"
Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

And the "rogue moderator" has spoken...
Old 09-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1020115' date='Sep 29 2009, 06:54 AM
And the "rogue moderator" has spoken...