Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Feedback Required: The E60 Information Network

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Okay, I'm not an official BMW historian but shouldn't "2000" be "2002" in the second paragraph on the opening page?:

"Production of sibling models, named the BMW 1800, the BMW 1600, the BMW 2000 and BMW 2000tii, followed until 1972. At the end of production, "The New Class" had become the most successful BMW model series."
Old 07-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Doubt it.. I copied that straight from BMWNA unless they made a mistake on their own.

As for the engine codes I emailed a contact I have at BMWUK. He's away until August 2nd but there's no rush. I'd like to make sure I get the correct information before changing around the engines page.

PS. I've completed re-organizing the forums. Created some new sub-forums and moved some topics around. Hopefully everyone likes the new organization.

As I was moving things around I thought of how great it is to have everything so nicely placed. Then I thought what a pain in the butt it is to have to go through each of the sub-forums to read new topics. Ahh... but then I saw the "View New Posts" link on top in the menu car which displays all new posts regardless of the forum.

The E60 Discussion will certaintly always be the main forum but hopefully the other forums get used too. I don't plan on turning this into a police state where any postings I think should go somewhere else will get moved immediately (aside from this initial period). Hopefully everyone will appreciate the new organization and utilize it properly.

And we're still always looking for comments so keep them comming. Don't be shy!
Old 07-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Jul 26 2004, 10:25 PM
Doubt it.. I copied that straight from BMWNA unless they made a mistake on their own.
Well then there you go! I told you I wasn't a historian -- I never heard of the 2000tii but had heard of the 2002tii.

A quick Google on the 2000tii brought up enough hits to make me crawl under a rock now!

P.S. - I emailed you some pics if you feel like adding them...
Old 07-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Jul 26 2004, 11:50 AM
It would be nice to post options sheets and package for all the various countries but this would be hard to maintain.
Moderators can be assigned to each section . Maybe they can help maintain certain sections instead of one person trying to do it all. If you look at bmw-forums.com you will see how this works.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Senior Members

I prefer the current software to the type on e60.net. Unless v2.0 has major improvements, it's too cumberson to use.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Jul 27 2004, 01:44 AM
I prefer the current software to the type on e60.net. Unless v2.0 has major improvements, it's too cumberson to use.
What software are you referring to? I don't think the forum software is setup yet on the new site. I'm pretty sure that what you see when you click forums isn't what it'll look like when they migrate from this site to the new one.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 27 2004, 05:34 AM
[quote name='Jimbo' date='Jul 27 2004, 01:44 AM'] I prefer the current software to the type on e60.net. Unless v2.0 has major improvements, it's too cumberson to use.
What software are you referring to? I don't think the forum software is setup yet on the new site. I'm pretty sure that what you see when you click forums isn't what it'll look like when they migrate from this site to the new one. [/quote]
Lomag, the information below in the FAQ section is not entirely correct. Currently, E60 is also built in China but it is for the China market only.

Where is the E60 built? At what factory?
The new BMW 5 Series is built exclusively at BMW's largest production plant, the BMW Dingolfing Plant, approximately 100 kilometres away from Munich, Germany.
Top - Forums: Click for more info!
Old 07-27-2004, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

I think the China plant isn't exactly the same as the plant in Dingolfing.

I remember reading somewhere that the car is sent to China from Germany in some sort of kit form where it is simply assembled over there. I think doing it this way gets by some import taxes, etc. since the cars are assembled there and not brought in already built.

If I'm right, then technically the cars all come from Dingolfing.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Jul 27 2004, 04:25 AM
PS. I've completed re-organizing the forums. Created some new sub-forums and moved some topics around. Hopefully everyone likes the new organization.

As I was moving things around I thought of how great it is to have everything so nicely placed. Then I thought what a pain in the butt it is to have to go through each of the sub-forums to read new topics. Ahh... but then I saw the "View New Posts" link on top in the menu car which displays all new posts regardless of the forum.

The E60 Discussion will certaintly always be the main forum but hopefully the other forums get used too. I don't plan on turning this into a police state where any postings I think should go somewhere else will get moved immediately (aside from this initial period). Hopefully everyone will appreciate the new organization and utilize it properly.

And we're still always looking for comments so keep them comming. Don't be shy!
Lomag,

it looks good. You did a great job on re-organizing the forums and creating subforums! I just hope that "view new posts" link works...

So far I can say I appreciate the good work you and DAS are doing on this forum. Thanks! It is by far the best source of information about the e60!

And now, just to confuse you a little...

When searching the internet I found the following on HP, BHP, etc....

I have posted this in another thread allready:

PS = PferdeSt?rke ("Horse power" in German )

It's the continental version of hp, but to make it into convenient units (75 kilogramme metres per second) it has a slightly smaller value than one horsepower. It's commonly used by all manufacturers now, although magazines etc. tend to use PS and BHP interchangeably.

ps = bhp x 1.01387

BHP = Brake Horse Power

Engine power is often quoted in PS.
* 1PS=0.9863bhp.

HP = Horse Power. Horse power is defined as torque (in ft.lbs) multiplied by RPMs divided by 5252. Do a search on the 'net for an explanation about Watt and horses and why it's called what it is.

BHP = Brake Horse Power. Horse Power that is measured from the crankshaft via an engine brake (dyno). This implies that the motor is running and thus accounts for accessories.

PS = Pferdest?rke. Basic translation from German is Horse Power. It is virtually the same as HP, but multiplied by 1.01 (think Metric HP).

kW = Kilowatt. True metric representation of power. HP divided by 1.341 will yield kW output.

Since BMW is in Germany the figures they give are HP (PS), continental version. It's not BHP. So an "emmy" (M5) would have 507 PS (HP) and a 545i 333 HP (PS).

But since this might confuse some more people than just you and me I think you have found a real good solution.

Old 07-27-2004, 06:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I'm leaving the kW with americanized HP in parenthesis. I think its the perfect compromise

So far so good!

Quick Reply: Feedback Required: The E60 Information Network