DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60/61 pre-LCI M-ASK bluetooth module installation guide

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: E61
Default E60/61 pre-LCI M-ASK bluetooth module installation guide

Hello

Once again I installed something, but couldn’t find a comprehensive guide anywhere, so hopefully this helps.

Introduction

This guide is for installing a (Chinese) bluetooth module to a pre-LCI E60/61 (up to 09/2005) with M-ASK, no CCC (small screen), no navigation and no AUX.

This is the bluetooth module we are talking about:

Yours may look different, but the important part is the black connector that goes behind the M-ASK.

I know what I’m doing

If you’re like me and have an idea what you’re doing, then here you go - I predicted the questions you may still have and answered them like a genie!

1) Correct wiring of the BT module connector:

2) If you didn’t have AUX previously, you need to enable it via coding:
a) Add +NAUX to FA.
b) FA_WRITE for CAS and LMA.
c) SG_CODIEREN for MASK.

3) - Red wire from the module goes to white-purple wire in the huge connector behind the M-ASK unit.
When reading different guides, I noticed that the pin numbers didn’t always match, but the colors always did.

You should find the white-purple wire somewhere there, so connect to that.
- Black or black-red wire from the module goes to the thick brown wire (GND).

4) If your module also came with absolutely no instructions like mine, then don’t worry:
- Yes, it will turn on and off automatically so you can hide everything behind the dash.
- Yes, you will be able to pair and connect without entering passwords or pressing buttons. Mine had a name „Car Kit“, I just had to connect my phone to this device and it worked immediately.

Step-by-step instructions

Stuff you will need:
1) Precision flathead screwdriver set (for opening the connectors and removing the pins)
2) Torx set and a regular screwdriver
3) NCS Expert and OBD cable for coding
4) Basic knowledge on splicing and connecting wires using your preferred method

Removing the M-ASK unit, installing the BT module and putting everything together:

1) Follow this tutorial to remove the M-ASK unit:
https://5series.net/forums/attachmen...eplacement.pdf
Steps 13-20; 32-39.

2) Take your BT module and have a look at the black connector. It has 3 small wires – red, white and black. The wires need to go in those pins:

If they do not, use a small precision flathead to disassemble the connector and then the same small flathead again to remove the wires from their current location and pop them to the correct pins as shown in the picture. They need to click in place.
If you’re done and the wires are firmly in place, put the connector back together.

3) Now have a look at the huge connector you removed from the M-ASK unit – it will look something like this:

In the area circled in red you will find a small white-purple wire (white with a thin purple line) – connect the red wire from the BT module to this wire using your preferred method.

4) Then locate the thick brown wire. This is the ground (GND) and you need to connect the black (or black-red) wire from the BT module to this wire.
Make sure to isolate the wires well.

5) Then put the BT module’s black connector inside this huge connector. There are two possible places at the bottom, but it only fits in the right one so you can’t go wrong there.

6) If your BT module also has a mic input (can be seen on the 1st picture), connect the mic and find a good place to install it. I put it near the driver’s footwell cover, but it will definitely be better to install it somewhere higher so it would be level with your mouth.

7) Once you are done and happy, connect and put everything back in reverse order of removal.

Enabling AUX input via coding:

1) Open NCS Expert and choose a profile (File – Load profile), Default or Expert is fine.

2) F1 and enter your VIN code, calculate checksum

3) F3 and select E60 and CAS module

4) Enter FA, calculate checksum again and you should see a list with „attributes“ e.g. all option codes your car has.

5) Now add +NAUX to this list and close it, then press BACK.

6) Click on „Process ECU“ and select CAS

7) „Change job“ to „FA_WRITE“ and click on „Execute job“. It needs to show „job active“ and then „job ended“ – if it’s something different, then you didn’t follow the instructions correctly.

8) Click on „Change ECU“ and select LMA

9) „Change job“ to „FA_WRITE“ and click on „Execute job“.

10) Click on „Change ECU“ and select MASK

11) „Change job“ to „SG_CODIEREN“ and click on „Execute job“. It needs to show „coding active“ and then „coding ended“.

Now turn the car off, back on and you should see „AUX (audio)“ available:

Scan for Bluetooth devices with your phone and you should see your BT module in the list. There were absolutely no instructions with mine, but I found something called „Car Kit“ so I connected to this and it was the correct device 😊

And you’re done! Music should now play over Bluetooth and your phone should automatically connect to it every time you get in the car.

Last edited by Raghza; Yesterday at 11:51 PM.