Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005
Thumbs up

Here's the story, I sold my working 6 disc cd changer to a member here on the forum back in November 2007. The unit was taken out when i upgraded to an ipod adapter kit which was done by my local bmw, Peter Pan BMW. Recently he just pmed me to tell me that the cd changer does not work? After nearly 7 months he's now telling me that the cd changer does not work.. now he's asking for a refund.. what do you guys think?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

He wants a refund for an item purchased used via a private party over 5 months ago???

Tell him that the 90 day warranty you provided expired 60 days ago, and unfortunately, you are not authorized to pay for his stupidity. Guide him to the definition of caveat emptor, and hope that, as an adult, he learns to be responsible for his actions (or, inactions in this case).
Old 04-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Too bad because the guy probably just didn't get around to installing it but I agree- that's just too long (actually 30 days is too long) in my book...
Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Members

I think he is out of luck. btw, I had the same thing done at the same dealer and I didn't get my CD changer back... hmmmm... maybe they gave you mine back. (it was broken) what month did you get yours done? (i got this done back in december/Jan)
Old 04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

i would not pay him back. it has been to long.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Contributors

Correction.. It has been 3 months since he had purchased the unit. Misread his pm, he was waiting on a part from germany since nov. 7. Regardless, the transaction had been done quite long ago and now asking for a refund. As a member, I'll let the board be the judge for a refund or not.

"I explained to you that we were waiting for a part from Germany. When it arrived, we also scheduled a transmission reprogam and the installation of the changer."

What do you guys think?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

If you were aware of the problem , then you should take it back ,if it was working fine when you sold it to him then I think the onus is on him to repair it and not make life difficult for you (especially here). 3 months is past the "unspoken warranty" I would think. BTW I think posting this issue here proactively is a real heads up move on your part !!

Cheers
Old 04-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='568296' date='Apr 25 2008, 04:56 PM
If you were aware of the problem , then you should take it back ,if it was working fine when you sold it to him then I think the onus is on him to repair it and not make life difficult for you (especially here). 3 months is past the "unspoken warranty" I would think. BTW I think posting this issue here proactively is a real heads up move on your part !!

Cheers
The unit worked 100% fine before i did an ipod adapter install at my local bmw, Peter Pan BMW. After reading previous pms it sounds like he tried doing the install himself, not sure if he did though, then i think he brought it into the dealer for an install.

"r9ndy,
Received the changer a while back. Finally installed bracket (pita). Plugged in the white plastic plug in the back (power?) I hear a noise but, when attempting to eject cartridge it doesn't come out.

Are there other connections that have to be made (optical) Where are they?
Is there a cartridge release other than the arrow that you know of? (under the faceplate?)
Did you have any similar problems?"
Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

I agree with WestCoast550, if you knew of any problems with the changer before hand, then I would send his money back in exhange for the item, but if you knew it was working, and he waited all this time to install it and then found out it didnt work, then thats on him.

For you just to post this issue on this forum, shows you care about the folks on here and their opinions of the situtation. Thats a pretty honest move on your part.

Originally Posted by r9ndy' post='568206' date='Apr 25 2008, 03:53 PM
Here's the story, I sold my working 6 disc cd changer to a member here on the forum back in November 2007. The unit was taken out when i upgraded to an ipod adapter kit which was done by my local bmw, Peter Pan BMW. Recently he just pmed me to tell me that the cd changer does not work? After nearly 7 months he's now telling me that the cd changer does not work.. now he's asking for a refund.. what do you guys think?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='569128' date='Apr 27 2008, 11:45 AM
I agree with WestCoast550, if you knew of any problems with the changer before hand, then I would send his money back in exhange for the item, but if you knew it was working, and he waited all this time to install it and then found out it didnt work, then thats on him.
+1