Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

Do you like it when someone "low balls" your product?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

I don't necessarily use the term, "Low Ball," but what's your opinon when someone offers you a really low price for your "USED" or NEW product? What do you feel about listing the price upfront instead of "PM for price?"

My take is that if the item is new or used, I would not get offended if I listed the item for say, $140 with market price of $90-150, and someone wants to pay $50.00 for it. It's their right to offer what they feel is worth to them, and it's my right to sell it at whatever price I want to sell, right? No offense with the super low offer . . . nothing personal. If you really want to buy and I really want to sell, let's negotiable. Afterall, that's what business is all about, right? Negotiable to make both parties happy.

Now that leads me to the "PM me for price." Why? Does one have something to hide? Is it against manufacturer's policy? Does the price fluctuate that much on an item? I'm truly curious because I look at Best Buy, Ebay, Craigslist list, and everyone is listing the price upfront?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

depreciation sucks.

I sold my springs for a VERY cheap price. the problem is a few here on this forum really mods their car. People won't splurge on their car unless its necessary.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

I don't mind the low offering once, but if the person keeps insisting on selling at that price, then i wouldn't like it.

Also, your subject for some odd reason looks like Blow balls, not low balls. hahaha. sorry, had to say it.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

I agree with your commentary. I don't get offended when someone low balls, because the buyer has no idea what's in the seller's mind in terms of real need for the cash or percieved value of the product.

Also, I don't like 'PM for price', it gives me the perception that the seller may offer the same product at different prices. Probably not a fair assessment in all cases, but just my gut opinion on PM for price.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

I think the sellers should always list the price, not "PM me for a price". I have never been to any store, car lot, online site, where a seller's offer price is not public. The price they list has to be high enough that if someone lifts their offer, they are happy. Much like a "buy it now" price on ebay.

Now the price that the item actually sells for after some negotiation should not be public. That info hurts the sellers ability to sell to the next guy at their public offer price.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Klepper' post='524870' date='Jan 30 2008, 03:08 PM
I think the sellers should always list the price, not "PM me for a price". I have never been to any store, car lot, online site, where a seller's offer price is not public. The price they list has to be high enough that if someone lifts their offer, they are happy. Much like a "buy it now" price on ebay.

Now the price that the item actually sells for after some negotiation should not be public. That info hurts the sellers ability to sell to the next guy at their public offer price.
I agree. Additionally, the buyer may try to convince the seller the market price or lower price, but if the seller doesn't want to sell, no offense should be taken on either side.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

The past few products I've had on hand, I've given away to other members for free. I even paid for the shipping too. I'm just that nice of a guy.

Who wants my car for free?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='524924' date='Jan 30 2008, 02:22 PM
The past few products I've had on hand, I've given away to other members for free. I even paid for the shipping too. I'm just that nice of a guy.
He also sucks D*** for coke.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='524825' date='Jan 30 2008, 03:05 PM
I don't necessarily use the term, "Low Ball," but what's your opinon when someone offers you a really low price for your "USED" or NEW product? What do you feel about listing the price upfront instead of "PM for price?"

My take is that if the item is new or used, I would not get offended if I listed the item for say, $140 with market price of $90-150, and someone wants to pay $50.00 for it. It's their right to offer what they feel is worth to them, and it's my right to sell it at whatever price I want to sell, right? No offense with the super low offer . . . nothing personal. If you really want to buy and I really want to sell, let's negotiable. Afterall, that's what business is all about, right? Negotiable to make both parties happy.

Now that leads me to the "PM me for price." Why? Does one have something to hide? Is it against manufacturer's policy? Does the price fluctuate that much on an item? I'm truly curious because I look at Best Buy, Ebay, Craigslist list, and everyone is listing the price upfront?
People get the misconception that things don't depreciate in value. They also do not understand that once installed a product is not new or "like new", it is used. I have seen many people try to sell their used stuff for a few dollars less then new or sometimes more then new. These people play on buyer ingorance and their is allot of this going on. Today someone posted a used M5 bumper for $600 when you could get a new one at the dealer for ~$400 (with 25% E60.net at discount Newport or your local BMW). As far as posting prices I think it should be a rule on the forum that a price must be listed for every item for sale. I get tired of pm'ing for prices including the vendors, it is plain stupid and a waste of time and bandwidth.

BP
Old 01-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='525091' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:02 PM
As far as posting prices I think it should be a rule on the forum that a price must be listed for every item for sale. I get tired of pm'ing for prices including the vendors, it is plain stupid and a waste of time and bandwidth.
+1 Items for sale in the classifieds section should have a price listed.

Quick Reply: Do you like it when someone "low balls" your product?