Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

Clear Adaptive Euro Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had purchased this set of OEM Euro Headlights without the amber corner grid to retrofit to my 530, but have found out it is not possible..

Everything is full OEM and in great working condition, lights have adaptive feature and come with OEm bulbs/ballasts..

$1000 plus shipping or best offer (or better yet help me retroift them!)...
Old 07-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Wow, it's not possible you say?

What appears to be the problem?

I would expect something like this to be a simple:

1) Remove old headlight assembly and ballasts.

2) Insert new headlight assembly and ballasts.

3) Enjoy!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Members

I apologize, I should have mentioned I have halogen lights now
Old 07-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Members

anyone know a cheaper way to get that orange amber off there is no way impaying 1000 for those lights in germany they are about 300 bux lol
Old 07-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by qtrII6' date='Jul 12 2005, 11:49 AM
anyone know a cheaper way to get that orange amber off there is no way impaying 1000 for those lights in germany they are about 300 bux lol
[snapback]148359[/snapback]

In Germany they are WAY more than 300 bux. You can't even find used halogens for that price (for a pair). If I remember correctly BMW sells these for more than 1500 Euros in Germany. If Hella sells them directly without going through BMW (and I don't know if they do), then they will be cheaper, but still nowhere even close to 300 bux.

If it were possible to take the front cover/lens off (without braking something) then you could try to remove the cover/lens and then remove the amber reflector. But unlike past BMW's the front cover/lens of the E60 has been glued to the rear of the headlight and it would be hard to cut through the glue without damaging or braking something. Maybe a miniature version of the tools that they use to remove windshield adhesives would help, but with just a straight blade it would be hard.

I was thinking of swapping the covers of my non-adaptive Euro lights with the covers of my adaptive US lights, but at this point I would not want to experiment with that since the Euro lights are brand new and I could still sell them and find some adaptive ones to buy. However, if I try to take the cover off and brake the lens or something then I can't sell them anymore. I may try it if I run out of options, but I am not there yet.

If you were able to get the cover off and then remove the amber reflector, then there would be a big hole where the amber reflector used to be, so you would have to put something else there (like a clear lens or reflector that has been cut to the exact shape of the amber one). I don't think that would look good unless you were able to find some thin plastic or plexiglass that has similar ribs or lines as the Euro headlights do. Just finding a clear reflector and putting it there will not look good IMO. So there are several hurdles to jump over before you can do that. Is it possible to cut through the glue and separate the lens without braking or damaging the headlight/lens? Yes, but not having done one yet I can't say how easy or hard it would be.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Members

sounds too much of a hassle ill try to find a way maybe to paint the light smoke it out something that amber is driving me insane and as for germany i found the headlights on ebay.de for 400 bux or so so i dunno whats goin on exactly thanks for the info though uve provided some great insight
Old 07-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by qtrII6' date='Jul 12 2005, 04:17 PM
sounds too much of a hassle ill try to find a way maybe to paint the light smoke it out something that amber is driving me insane and as for germany i found the headlights on ebay.de for 400 bux or so so i dunno whats goin on exactly thanks for the info though uve provided some great insight
[snapback]148460[/snapback]

The lights on eBay are almost all used, you can find some new ones occasionally but 90% are used. This is fine as long as they are in decent condition. A good number of the lights I saw on eBay were the early production ones which had defective mounting brackets which would brake. You could see these broken brackets in the pics of some eBay listings (if they were clear pics). Usually if the lights are in good condition, without any broken brackets, with Bi-Xenons AND the adaptive feature then they definately sell for more than 400 bux (for a pair or used ones, not new). Also 90% of these do not have the ballasts, igniter, and the Xenon bulb, so they need to be reused from your original headlights. I bought my lights from eBay.de in the mid 500 Euro range incl. shipping. However, it turned out that the seller had lied about them being adaptive.....so that is the reason that I now have Euro lights that I can't use on my car.

Even though I was burned this one time I still think that it is best to get them on eBay considering the big price difference with the new ones from the dealer. However, you have to be carefull as there are many headlights that are either just halogens, or Xenons without the adaptive feature, or have broken parts. Also most of the listings are for one side only and not a pair of headlights. If you find a listing that looks like it has everything you need, then you also need one additional thing: an honest seller who does not lie about the items he is selling.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Members

very true........honest sellers are hard to find.........i will be looking around see what i can find if not i might jus paint that one section of the amber.....either the color of my car or tint it black im not sure how it will look but its an experiment..........ive been dying to change the bulb of that eyebrow light on top of the headlight to white its currently amber but im looking to see if i can find a bulb for that if u have any recommendations please let me know thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Members

if you want to seperate the housings of any headlight specifically older (98and older and 2004 on newer) and newer headlight assemblies for bmw's, all you have to do is stick it in the oven.

Yes i'm not kidding, stick it in the oven at 260 for 10 minutes, take it out and put a butter knife in the seperation between the clear section and the black backing, and gently (but quickly the gluedries fast, you have about 1 - 2 minutes) pry them apart it will come right off.

This works because its not truely a glue used, its a butyl rubber (i may be remmebering the wrong kind of rubber forgive me).

The only time this can't be done is when glass headlight lenses are used, they can get very brittle and crack from the heat in the oven.

I've done this on my e36 and e60, but remember like everything else its done at your own risk. Think about this though, You headlight bulbs can heat the plastic and reflectors well above 180* the reflectors alone get above that. On top of that they are in the engine bay which can get in excess of 200* but the outside where the glued section is is usually a tad cooler s to being on the outside of the car. They still get to 180* on the hot days, anyone thats sat in a car with leather on a hot day after 20 minutes in the sun, can attest to that. I can't say i've removed the amber reflector, but for those interested its worth a try. Good luck guys and feel free to emailme with any questions about the baking procedure. Email is philip@deenron.com.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Members

u cant be serious lol u said u did it on ur e60 show me pics of it with clear ambers id love to see them as for the light right on top going across the light... u cant make it clear cuz it does not use a bulb it uses a clip thats an led light installed ive tried everything and to no avail

Quick Reply: Clear Adaptive Euro Headlights