Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Top Gear - 535d v 545i

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Hi Clive

Am in town right now until approx 9th August. I'll be back on the 19th and going to the BMW Car Club GB Festival on Sunday 21st - my car is going on a display stand with SG535d's car!!! I'll leave the UK again at the beginning of Sep. The last weekend of August looks good..... Is there a Bank Holiday as well????

I'll be able to do more or less anyday during that time period .... so when do you want to meet?????

PS. My 545 is Steptronic just like the 535d..

All the Best

Hobi
Old 08-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hey I actually liked that review! Much much better than the M5 one! they had more fun with the cars in that review...

BUT I still want to see more of the 545 and it going around the track. just for comparison sake.

Edit: ok just finished top gear... who said this wasnt a good episode? I found this one to be one of the best this season! OH MAN!!! I need a ATV now! Crikey! They got me all excited! Forget fun on the road... Imma trade in my car for that 900cc ATV! $12.5K pounds... Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by clived' date='Aug 1 2005, 03:03 PM
[quote name='Hobi' date='Aug 1 2005, 09:33 AM']There is no point people saying how "great" a 535d remapped would be over a 545i because the comparison is not fair - unless the 545 was ALSO remapped.

BTW, what is this Santa Pod?? Is it a straight piece of tarmac or what?? If someone wants to compare a standard 535d with my 545, then I could probably do the test anytime in the last week of August
[snapback]155036[/snapback]
Hurrah :-) Tim, the reason that *I* think that a remapped 535d vs 545i *is* a fair test is that the d is still over ?4000 cheaper than the i.... so we're still actually comparing a much cheaper car with a more expensive one. Given how inefficient (bhp per ? ) NA tuning is, I would also say however that it would be ok for the 545i to have had ?750ish of remap for the test to be fair. I've always said that I don't know which will be quicker, but I'd like to find out. The only other issue is that of course we would really need an auto 545i in the mix too as the 535d only comes as an auto, but I suspect that would be too hard to organise

Santa Pod RWYB runs most weekends unless there is a special event. Tim, if you know a weekend you can make, let me know, and I'll let you know if I can make it too and we'll post it up in events :-)
[snapback]155047[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey guys! What it matters if one have this and other that?? One likes mother other like daughter. Yes...? If we want to compete lets do it on the track and stop competing in here. Of course discussion is good, but going around same thing over and over. If some have 100hp less but also less weigh and track slicks... better knowledge of tract, more skill, etc.

There will always be better, stronger and faster.... eventually. Let's enjoy friendly competition. I would like to be at SP too...

Skaffa
Old 08-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

It's just fun Skaffa - a little competition never hurt anybody, and we'd all like to know...
Old 08-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Aug 1 2005, 10:33 AM
A reasonable test would be to compare a standard 535d and a standard 545i from 0 to 155 MPH and see which one is the fastest.? Better still, the 0 to 100 to 0 MPH test....

There is no point people saying how "great" a 535d remapped would be over a 545i because the comparison is not fair - unless the 545 was ALSO remapped.

BTW, what is this Santa Pod?? Is it a straight piece of tarmac or what?? If someone wants to compare a standard 535d with my 545, then I could probably do the test anytime in the last week of August
[snapback]155036[/snapback]
In principle you're right, but in real life that could be quite a fair comparison, because it's a fact that you can significantly increase the performance of your 535d easily and for almost nothing (in Italy a good remap is about 600-700 euros) while it's not possible to do the same on a 545i. It's a well known fact that any remap on gasoline engine achieves very little and do not affect in any appreciable manner real life performance of your car. On turbodiesel, the opposite is the truth.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:20 AM
Contributors

I played around with a 535d (Italian plates) for about 15 minutes last week on the autobahn. We had several runs from 70 mph up to 130 mph and back slowing down for cars pulling out into the fastlane. He could just ever so slightly pull away from me when he was in front and would hang right on my bumper when I was leading. But..... he was by himself and I had 4 adults and a trunk full of luggage.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Aug 2 2005, 11:20 AM
I played around with a 535d (Italian plates) for about 15 minutes last week on the autobahn.? We had several runs from 70 mph up to 130 mph and back slowing down for cars pulling out into the fastlane.? He could just ever so slightly pull away from me when he was in front and would hang right on my bumper when I was leading.? But.....? he was by himself and I had 4 adults and a trunk full of luggage.
[snapback]155310[/snapback]
You miss an importat point: how long was your trip? What I mean is that in a long trip (Munich to Hamburg, to say) the 535d will be able to keep your pace and arrive to the destination WITHOUT any refill, while with a 545i you should stop to refill your tank at least once, maybe two times if you drive very hard. With my 535d I can drive for 650-700 km with one tank being constantly up to 200 km/h or more. No big gasoline engine can do it.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by Lucky' date='Aug 2 2005, 10:45 AM
[quote name='ULtraPLanet' date='Aug 2 2005, 11:20 AM']I played around with a 535d (Italian plates) for about 15 minutes last week on the autobahn.? We had several runs from 70 mph up to 130 mph and back slowing down for cars pulling out into the fastlane.? He could just ever so slightly pull away from me when he was in front and would hang right on my bumper when I was leading.? But.....? he was by himself and I had 4 adults and a trunk full of luggage.
[snapback]155310[/snapback]
You miss an importat point: how long was your trip? What I mean is that in a long trip (Munich to Hamburg, to say) the 535d will be able to keep your pace and arrive to the destination WITHOUT any refill, while with a 545i you should stop to refill your tank at least once, maybe two times if you drive very hard. With my 535d I can drive for 650-700 km with one tank being constantly up to 200 km/h or more. No big gasoline engine can do it.
[snapback]155316[/snapback]
[/quote]

yeah but the V8 sounds better doing it
Old 08-02-2005, 03:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I had to make the decission wheter diesel or gas car (530d vs 530i)......

with almost the same cost and the same cost of gasoline and diesel (so expensive those days and rising.....ufff).... it does not really matter.

The only encounter is HOW MUCH PER year one drives. With around 30000km/year a diesel car will not save you much money anyway. If you drive 60k km / year and up than the diesel makes sense.

Also diesel cars have more costly maintenance (belts around what 120-150k km?) for what 2000EUR?
Old 08-02-2005, 03:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lucky' date='Aug 2 2005, 12:45 PM
[snapback]155316[/snapback]
Like I said 15 minutes - I think we were both having a look Interesting though cause he pulled off at one of those autobahn rest stops.... guess he didn't start with a full tank

Quick Reply: Top Gear - 535d v 545i