Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Interesting BusinessWeek article on iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BusinessWeek Online

A bit oversimplified, but I thought might be an interesting read.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Interesting article -- where does it say anything about Java?

(Here's a .pdf version of the article in case anyone has the same trouble I had -- Spybot was having fits loading the site due to it's dumping of advertising trackers, etc.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BW_Online.pdf (59.9 KB, 154 views)
Old 09-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

I thought iDrive was written in Microsoft's code. From this article doesn't is sound like it is written in Java?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by firewired' date='Sep 30 2004, 12:12 AM
From this article doesn't is sound like it is written in Java?
[snapback]39575[/snapback]
Where? I must be going blind...
Old 09-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Java is where Microsoft and Sun part ways, and it has been a constant source of strife between the two companies. I thought it was strongly implied by the following paragraphs:

"The TLA allows a car's computer guts to stay current even while the car ages. BMW can continually write updates and add-ons that work together without testing, thanks to the underlying Java. Every time a car owner visits a BMW dealer, new software, like a new navigation system, can be added. Partners that know how to program in Java could also write software to run on iDrive. A rental-car company, for example, could automatically send information such as updated mileage rates to its customer via an on-board computer.

Sun engineers hope their Java will do for cars what it has already done for corporate computer networks. First developed in the early 1990s by famed programmer James Gosling and a group of Sun engineers, Java was intended for interactive TV. Needless to say, that didn't turn out to be the Next Big Thing. But the World Wide Web was.

Not long after Netscape Communications popularized the Web browser, Sun introduced Java as an ideal way to program for the Internet. It allowed for better security than traditional programming languages, yet it was more flexible and could run on many different kinds of computer operating systems.

VALLEY OUTPOST.? Today, nearly every major software company other than Microsoft uses Java to program everything from PCs to giant financial systems for multinational companies. Java also has found its way into cell phones, allowing customers to do things like download new ring tones or check e-mail. It adds similar flexibility to a car's computer system.

I was surprised because I thought Microsoft did the programing for the iDrive and they would never use Java. Java is a great choice because it plays well with others.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 30 2004, 12:19 AM
[quote name='firewired' date='Sep 30 2004, 12:12 AM']From this article doesn't is sound like it is written in Java?
[snapback]39575[/snapback]
Where? I must be going blind...
[snapback]39577[/snapback]
[/quote]

Rudy, It looks to me that you are linking to a different article, thus the blindness .
Old 09-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

That's the ticket! The article I found was the one I attached the .pdf of.

Obviously the other article mentions Java enough to explain where DaveR was coming from.

(I couldn't click his link directly -- the page wouldn't load due to Spybot blocking something that was being pushed down -- so I had to go at it from a different angle.)
Old 09-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by firewired' date='Sep 30 2004, 12:26 AM
I was surprised because I thought Microsoft did the programing for the iDrive and they would never use Java.? Java is a great choice because it plays well with others.
[snapback]39580[/snapback]
I'm not sure if Microsoft did the programming for iDrive -- all I've heard is that the system runs on some flavor of Windows (CE, or PocketPC I think). Most likely one of the versions that is streamlined enough to run directly from firmware so there's no need to boot from a disk drive, etc.

Whomever actually did the programming simply wrote things with Java running on the Windows platform, I guess.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 30 2004, 07:36 AM
Whomever actually did the programming simply wrote things with Java running on the Windows platform, I guess.
[snapback]39601[/snapback]

I guess you're right!
Old 10-01-2004, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 29 2004, 11:36 PM
[quote name='firewired' date='Sep 30 2004, 12:26 AM']I was surprised because I thought Microsoft did the programing for the iDrive and they would never use Java.? Java is a great choice because it plays well with others.
[snapback]39580[/snapback]
I'm not sure if Microsoft did the programming for iDrive -- all I've heard is that the system runs on some flavor of Windows (CE, or PocketPC I think). Most likely one of the versions that is streamlined enough to run directly from firmware so there's no need to boot from a disk drive, etc.

[snapback]39601[/snapback]
[/quote]

Siemens VDO Automotive did the programming in Java, according to the article.

Quick Reply: Interesting BusinessWeek article on iDrive