Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oreo' date='Nov 25 2004, 03:47 AM
Now the EURO-NCAP results are official:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...p?id1=6&id2=208

The E60 received a 4 star rating after rather significant changes to steering column, footrest, door trim, door latch, airbags and software. How bad is then the car before these changes? What will be done to improve the safety of the cars manufactured before these changes were made??
[snapback]60577[/snapback]

Well I think the only thing we can and should all do is email/telephone BMW until they act upon this. It is quite frankly disgusting that a car like the E60 has had to be modified significantly to achieve only a 4star rating this is p*ss poor. If a recall is not forthcoming then my E60 will most definitely be getting traded in against something else VERY soon.

Old 11-25-2004, 03:38 AM
Members

Wow, this is bad. I wish it had scored higher but I guess I just have to live with it. Maybe its the surface curves which cause the weakness? (kidding ) I wouldn't trade my curves for an extra star. But that's just me.

Oh well, I guess I just have to be a safer driver .
Old 11-25-2004, 04:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d, Silver Grey, Beige Leather, PDC, Sun Blinds On Order LCI 523iA, Jet Black, Beige Leather, Heated Seats, Rear Sun Blinds, Bluetooth, M Steering Wheel

These results are asthonishing!, if you compare the E39 results:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...hp?id1=4&id2=49

with the E60 results they appear to have made a step backwards in frontal protection for both driver and passenger

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...p?id1=4&id2=208

Surely heads will roll at BMW's safety department...
Old 11-25-2004, 04:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Surprising that the 5 series didn't do as well as the 1 series and the new A6:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...tings.php?id1=6
Old 11-25-2004, 04:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Keep in mind that the cars structure is sort of like an external airbag, its design is to spread an impact over time. This lowers the maximum energy transfer to an occupant. If you punch someone with a 60 lb force it would hurt, if you slow down that punch and spead that over 3 intervals of time, its 20 lbs maximum force but over a longer period of time (20 lbs x 3 units of time = 60 lbs). So the cars front deforms and slows down the impact by spreading the energys dissipation over time, in this case over fractions of a second. The airbag and seatbelt do the same thing, so between all the delays in impact todays cars are much safer than previous cars lacking this tecnology.
Mercedes had a similar issue a few years ago where it cars did not do well in a full frontal crash test. Mercedes designed the best energy absorbtion from an offset crash where only part of the front end had to absorb the impact so the front had to be made stiffer. Well when you tested the same car under a full frontal impact test, its front ends were to stiff and transfered energy to quickly to the occupants. Mercedes maintain that their own data showed most lethal crashes were offset and that they were not changing their design just to score well on a test.
Cars designed to perform well under certain circumstances do not necessarily do well under all conditions.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Nov 25 2004, 01:59 PM
Cars designed to perform well under certain circumstances do not necessarily do well under all conditions.
[snapback]60639[/snapback]
I'm not convinced the NCAP tests should be treated as the definitive guide to how safe you'll be in a crash... I reckon manufactuers will make cars just to achieve the highest rating

There's so many factors that can never be tested in a lab.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:48 AM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver E60 530i, MY2004.

A car purchase is a big item purchase and I have read somewhere that most big item buying decisions are made based on impulse.

I am one of those guys who buys cars based on feel. I had several Subaru turbos before and I bought them because they made me feel young. I now drive a BMW because I feel more mature and in control in it. I also feel safer too.

As for crash tests & critics..well I never pay attention to what the critics say, be they film critics, car critics, stock brokers, investment consultants or whatever. These things are for references only and I certainly place enough confidence in my own decisions that I don't need third parties to make up my mind for me or influence me one way or another.

The safety factor (according to crash tests) was NEVER a consideration when I decided to buy my car. I test drove the car three times, in different weather, in different E60 models (520, 545, 530) and I liked the feel, the sense of comfort and control, the stability, and the whole overall experience.

I've looked at other makes, but didn't get the same sense of feel good.

How the e60 did & will do in past, present and future crash tests, or other tests, and whatever kinds of reception it gets from critics, will not alter the way I feel about my car.

I am just too old for that.

Oliver
Old 11-25-2004, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Nov 25 2004, 08:59 AM
Keep in mind that the cars structure is sort of like an external airbag, its design is to spread an impact over time. This lowers the maximum energy transfer to an occupant. If you punch someone with a 60 lb force it would hurt, if you slow down that punch and spead that over 3 intervals of time, its 20 lbs maximum force but over a longer period of time (20 lbs x 3 units of time = 60 lbs). So the cars front deforms and slows down the impact by spreading the energys dissipation over time, in this case over fractions of a second. The airbag and seatbelt do the same thing, so between all the delays in impact todays cars are much safer than previous cars lacking this tecnology.
Mercedes had a similar issue a few years ago where it cars did not do well in a full frontal crash test. Mercedes designed the best energy absorbtion from an offset crash where only part of the front end had to absorb the impact so the front had to be made stiffer. Well when you tested the same car under a full frontal impact test, its front ends were to stiff and transfered energy to quickly to the occupants. Mercedes maintain that their own data showed most lethal crashes were offset and that they were not changing their design just to score well on a test.
[snapback]60639[/snapback]
Speaking of the offset test, the E60 did quite well in that one:
http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratin...e/html/0409.htm
Old 11-25-2004, 07:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Has anyone looked carefully at the links posted? </span>The one which said BMW resubmitted the car is a 1998 E39.

The E60 seems to have done well.

I would be interested in links that show where the E60 was re-tested and what modifications were made.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Nov 25 2004, 04:51 PM
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Has anyone looked carefully at the links posted?? </span>The one which said BMW resubmitted the car is a 1998 E39.

The E60 seems to have done well.?

I would be interested in links that show where the E60 was re-tested and what modifications were made.
[snapback]60718[/snapback]
The link I saw is definitely E60 and mentions allowing mods...

Quick Reply: EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60