Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 21 2004, 07:04 PM
Really??

My sales rep even installed my child seat in the back of an 530i and showed me the air bag deploitment zone with his hands.? The seat bolster of the child seat seems to block the side airbags a bit.? That's why he did not recommend that I buy the rear airbag option.?

It was only like $350 and seems like a good safety insurance if you have kids riding in the back.? Well, too late to add that now.
[snapback]36769[/snapback]
Well, I suppose it's a bit more complicated than I initially implied. It's clear that the biggest issue is that of children leaning on them but it's a bit more gray as to the safety of a properly restrained child.

On this page, it mentions to check with the manufacturer to see what they recommend. (In the case of BMW, manufacturer doesn't necessarily mean dealer, I should add!)

Here's the relevant text from the page I linked above:
Safety Tips for Side Airbag Systems

While side air bags are smaller than front air bags, they must deploy very rapidly. Close proximity of a child's head, neck, or chest to a side air bag may cause serious injury. Therefore, it is important never to lean up against or rest against a side air bag. Seat belts (or child restraints as appropriate) should always be worn to avoid possible injury by keeping enough distance between the occupant and the side air bag module.

If you transport children and are thinking about buying a car with side air bags in rear seating positions, check the vehicle and child restraint manufacturers' recommendations for child restraint use in that vehicle.
I'll bet it all comes down to how far the bag deploys and how big the child seat is. After that, it probably depends on the type of impact, size of child, etc. Most likely, there will be times when the child would be safer with the bag, and there will be times when the child is safer without it...

Let's hope none of us ever have to find out the hard way what is best!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:35 PM

Rudy is not totally wrong about the child properly restrained in a child seat, but the issue for is that while they may be in the seat for a numebr of years, they eventually outgrow it and begin using the regular belt and that is when the side airbag really becomes the issue for children. I saw no point in paying for a feature that I would not be able to use for upwards of 10 years. If there were a switch the driver could operate so that the airbags could be activated when adults were in the back seat, I would have considered it, but then I think BMW would potentially have a liability here in the US, where some jury would still find it BMWs' fault if I failed to activate or de-activate when appropriate.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Sorry, forgot to log in!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Senior Members

I didn' t order the rear air bags because I'll be having grand kids in the next couple of years.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Contributors

Top Gear had a feature on the crash ratings a while ago. Their opinion was that some cars with 4/5 stars were safer to be hit by than to crash in..

I feel these things are slightly taken out of proportion now. Skill, experience and attitude of the driver is a greater deciding factor of accident outcome.
I consider myself behind the wheel of a 2 star rated car a safer combination than the average driver in a 5 star Laguna, even if I'm doing twice the speed.

(pardon the poor grammer, it is bloody early and we're out of coffee)
Old 09-22-2004, 12:42 AM
Senior Members

exact quote from autocar...reading between the lines i would suggest no major cause for concern and BMW will come back with a 5star rating without changing the E60......seems to be the way these tests are done, esp after my other post about Renualt testing the Modus twice before being given 5stars.

Crash woes for BMW 5-series
BMW's new 5-series range has run into trouble in the crucial Euro NCAP crash tests.
According to an inside source, the initial tests would have led to the car being given a low three-star rating. The source claimed that the car's problem was 'structural' rather than a series of minor problems.
BMW denied this but admitted that the 5-series has been crash tested. However BMW has 'agreed' with Euro NCAP that the tests were hampered by 'inconsistencies. The impact tests are likely to be re-run in the near future.
'We genuinely hope for, and expect, a five-star rating' a BMW spokeman told Autocar.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Lets not forget some real world tests. Remember back about a year and a half ago when we were all anxiously awaiting the release of this car, a BMW executive's son who was a fireman was responding to a call and went through a guardrail, down an embankment, and through a house and the car was completely destroyed and he survived. Then there was a user on here, sorry forgot his name, whos wife was in the car when it was totaled and she walked away without a scratch.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:24 AM
Contributors

On the other hand, remember Diana and her S-class? It is still only a car..
Old 09-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Sep 22 2004, 01:37 AM
Top Gear had a feature on the crash ratings a while ago. Their opinion was that some cars with 4/5 stars were safer to be hit by than to crash in..

I feel these things are slightly taken out of proportion now. Skill, experience and attitude of the driver is a greater deciding factor of accident outcome.
I consider myself behind the wheel of a 2 star rated car a safer combination than the average driver in a 5 star Laguna, even if I'm doing twice the speed.

(pardon the poor grammer, it is bloody early and we're out of coffee)
[snapback]36883[/snapback]

I think I will take the train to the next meeting... brrrrrrrrr..
Old 09-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Sep 22 2004, 04:10 AM
Then there was a user on here, sorry forgot his name, whos wife was in the car when it was totaled and she walked away without a scratch.
[snapback]36942[/snapback]
he's bimmeroc .

Quick Reply: EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60