Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Consumer Reports Best and Worst

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='198843
One breakdown with flatbed, 6 visits to dealer, still multiple unresolved issues and all that in 14 months of ownership.
These are more problems that I had with all other BMWs I owned together in the past 20 years...
But of course, this is just one datapoint.

Btw., I can't find the story.
Here you go: http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?con...=LP%20Passenger

My 2005 545 let me down only once but I still consider it unreliable. Basically speaking a new car should always start, run and get you where you want to go. Small things like burned head lamps are acceptable. Not starting - not. My 545 failed the test. Will probably trade it to a 550 early next year.
[/quote]
So you consider a car built by BMW to be unreliable, yet you're still willing to stay with the manufacturer. Amazing, someone at BMW is doing their homework.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='198877
Originally Posted by drjochen' post='198816' date='Nov 15 2005, 10:05 PM
One breakdown with flatbed, 6 visits to dealer, still multiple unresolved issues and all that in 14 months of ownership.
These are more problems that I had with all other BMWs I owned together in the past 20 years...
But of course, this is just one datapoint.

Btw., I can't find the story.
Here you go: http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?con...=LP%20Passenger

My 2005 545 let me down only once but I still consider it unreliable. Basically speaking a new car should always start, run and get you where you want to go. Small things like burned head lamps are acceptable. Not starting - not. My 545 failed the test. Will probably trade it to a 550 early next year.
So you consider a car built by BMW to be unreliable, yet you're still willing to stay with the manufacturer. Amazing, someone at BMW is doing their homework.
[/quote]

I think each manufacturer caters to a different demographic/group of buyers.

I mean, honestly, nobody really bought a BMW for its ergonomic engineering like the handy front loading in-dash CD changer (oops, nevermind) or the easy to use cupholders (ok, maybe not). We bought BMWs because we enjoy the driving experience a bimmer offers.

Relatedly, people who buy an MB because they want a softer and more plush ride. Buy a Lexus if the biggest thing you want to worry about with your car is not whether your car's front/rear weight distribution will allow you to carve up the road like the M5 Ring Taxi, but whether the seat message has an automatic setting for drive times that last longer than 1 hour.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:17 AM
Senior Members

The V8 comment is a little strange. They have to be basing this on old data. Has anyone had a problem with their engine? I remember hearing about 1 I think. There is no difference in the rest of the car.

I do think, on average, an E60 (particularly 2004) is less reliable than other similar BMWs. Which on average are less reliable than a Honda or Toyota. But there is no way that CR really has data on the V8 that we don't have access to. That is the beauty of the internet and e60.net. We know more than the dealers and certainly more than CR.

Anyone have problems with their V8? Not me. What do we have 500 V8s here?

My reliablility check. CPU was DOA (or 2 hours later). Had anti-trap window issue and oil change service counter not working - not fixed with software update. Visited dealer 3 times total in 14 months, 18k miles. One visit was dealers fault for not believing me that oil change counter didn't work.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

Cant believe that 2xLandrover products still feature in the most unreliable list.
How many years is it going to take before they learn?
Naturally I am a bit biased!!

My Landrover Horror Story
Old 11-16-2005, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by donv' post='198871
Originally Posted by jochet' post='198784' date='Nov 15 2005, 06:25 PM
MSN is running an artical featuring consumer reports most reliable and least reliable cars, BMW leads the pack in most unreliable with V8 5 series and 7 series cars.

I know we are a picking bunch but my 545 is anything but unreliable even though the car was not made in Japan. Iv'e got 16,000 miles on this car with not one breakdown, a few bugs maybe but nothing my dealer couldn't handle.

So, how about it? does the E60 545 belong on consumers reports most unreliable list?
I definitely consider the E60 unreliable.

But it's all relative. The E60 is unreliable compared to, for example, the Honda Accord or the Toyota Camry. But the E60 is rock solid compared to, for example, a Lotus Elise or a Lambo Gallardo.
I'll have tea with 2 lumps of unreliability please.
[/quote]

Aha, changed your handle I c
Old 11-16-2005, 04:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

This seems to be BMWs approach right now - who cares if their cars are unreliable if they are so much damn fun to drive.

Seriously, I would expect such issues with a Kia or such, but not a $60,000 car in the first year of ownership.

My neighbors have 2 BMWs and it seems that at any given time one of their 2 cars is in the shop for electric problems. Their X5 in particular is a huge pain, but they still love it.

Another friend just bought a new 325i and was in the shop twice in the first 4 weeks of ownership....

My comparison is Subaru - my wife had 3 new Subarus in the past 8 years, NONE of them ever had any problems and was in the shop outside of regular maintenance. Her new B9 has navigation, touchscreen, DVD entertainment system, IPOD interface, etc., so quite a bit of electronics, but it just works, no glitches, software updates, freezing computers, power windows reversing, creaking anything, rattles,... but then, would I want to drive this thing to work every day - probably not!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='198917' date='Nov 16 2005, 05:17 AM
The V8 comment is a little strange. They have to be basing this on old data. Has anyone had a problem with their engine? I remember hearing about 1 I think. There is no difference in the rest of the car.

I do think, on average, an E60 (particularly 2004) is less reliable than other similar BMWs. Which on average are less reliable than a Honda or Toyota. But there is no way that CR really has data on the V8 that we don't have access to. That is the beauty of the internet and e60.net. We know more than the dealers and certainly more than CR.

My reliablility check. CPU was DOA (or 2 hours later). Had anti-trap window issue and oil change service counter not working - not fixed with software update. Visited dealer 3 times total in 14 months, 18k miles. One visit was dealers fault for not believing me that oil change counter didn't work.
Well think about our forum only. The only engine problems I can remember reported is the V8. Valve taping noise, requiring adjustments, software updates for rough idle, at least one SIB for 4.4L engine and possibly two. That SIB called for some major work (albiet it was only for a certain build date range). While the V8 numbers seem small in relation to population, zero reports on the I6 engine would make the V8 more ?unreliable?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='198938

Well think about our forum only. The only engine problems I can remember reported is the V8. Valve taping noise, requiring adjustments, software updates for rough idle, at least one SIB for 4.4L engine and possibly two. That SIB called for some major work (albiet it was only for a certain build date range). While the V8 numbers seem small in relation to population, zero reports on the I6 engine would make the V8 more ?unreliable?
[/quote]

You are definitely right.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

If "unreliable" means "having it in the shop more than I'd like to," then yes, the e60 is a fairly "unreliable" car.

Generally, if you buy a new car, you don't expect it to start having multiple problems, even minor ones, for at least 20-30k miles.

That being said, I'm not buying a Japanese car. EVER.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Consumer Reports's reliability ratings are based on surveys of owners, unlike their own tests. That said, I don't know if their sampling of BMW 6s and V-8s is significant. I don't know how many BMW owners read CR (I do). Yes they did rate the 2005 V-8s and 7 series worse than average, but I think I recall seeing (I don't have the mag in front of me) that the six-cylinders moved up from worse to average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Best and Worst