Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Consumer Reports Best and Worst

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

MSN is running an artical featuring consumer reports most reliable and least reliable cars, BMW leads the pack in most unreliable with V8 5 series and 7 series cars.

I know we are a picking bunch but my 545 is anything but unreliable even though the car was not made in Japan. Iv'e got 16,000 miles on this car with not one breakdown, a few bugs maybe but nothing my dealer couldn't handle.

So, how about it? does the E60 545 belong on consumers reports most unreliable list?
Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jochet' post='198784' date='Nov 15 2005, 09:25 PM
MSN is running an artical featuring consumer reports most reliable and least reliable cars, BMW leads the pack in most unreliable with V8 5 series and 7 series cars.

I know we are a picking bunch but my 545 is anything but unreliable even though the car was not made in Japan. Iv'e got 16,000 miles on this car with not one breakdown, a few bugs maybe but nothing my dealer couldn't handle.

So, how about it? does the E60 545 belong on consumers reports most unreliable list?
No clue here. How was the list compiled? What is said to be unreliable about the cars?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

One breakdown with flatbed, 6 visits to dealer, still multiple unresolved issues and all that in 14 months of ownership.
These are more problems that I had with all other BMWs I owned together in the past 20 years...
But of course, this is just one datapoint.

Btw., I can't find the story.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Contributors

J.D. Power reported this year that BMW is 3rd best in initial quality (# problems during first 3 months) behind Lexus and Jaguar.

These are problems as reported by thousands of owners per brand and not ratings made by some geek in a lab coat.

The most-cited problems with BMW: cup holders and wind noise.
The most-cited problems with Lexus: noisy brakes and wind noise.
The most-cited problems for Jaguar: noisy brakes, wind noise, and bad windshield wipers.

Which would you rather own?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='198816' date='Nov 15 2005, 07:05 PM
One breakdown with flatbed, 6 visits to dealer, still multiple unresolved issues and all that in 14 months of ownership.
These are more problems that I had with all other BMWs I owned together in the past 20 years...

Unfortunately, I think the things that are causing the bad marks are the electrical systems (what do you expect with so many on board computers), door seals, tire problems. When you push the outer limit, you are going to have more things that can occur.

IMO, the car has not been unreliable or a problem. However, I am going back for my third attempt at fixing the door seals, I had the tires replaced and I will probably have my third CIP update. I am fine with that for a superb handing/driving machine.

But I take consumer reports with a grain of salt. It is a good guide but not a bible. I bought a VCR that they wrote up as being the best buy, most reliable.... It took a dump in 9 months, had it fixed and took another dump in 9 months.

My brother-in-law was trying to tell me how good some tires where that Consumer reports wrote up as a best buy. Sure, the will last 70k miles, but try to stop on them in the rain and see what happens.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='198816' date='Nov 15 2005, 10:05 PM

Here you go: http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?con...=LP%20Passenger

My 2005 545 let me down only once but I still consider it unreliable. Basically speaking a new car should always start, run and get you where you want to go. Small things like burned head lamps are acceptable. Not starting - not. My 545 failed the test. Will probably trade it to a 550 early next year.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='198816
J.D. Power reported this year that BMW is 3rd best in initial quality (# problems during first 3 months) behind Lexus and Jaguar.

These are problems as reported by thousands of owners per brand and not ratings made by some geek in a lab coat.

The most-cited problems with BMW: cup holders and wind noise.
The most-cited problems with Lexus: noisy brakes and wind noise.
The most-cited problems for Jaguar: noisy brakes, wind noise, and bad windshield wipers.

Which would you rather own?
My 545i; it has no problems (yet). Definitely no wind noise or cupholder problems.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jochet' post='198784' date='Nov 15 2005, 06:25 PM

I definitely consider the E60 unreliable.

But it's all relative. The E60 is unreliable compared to, for example, the Honda Accord or the Toyota Camry. But the E60 is rock solid compared to, for example, a Lotus Elise or a Lambo Gallardo.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='198869

But it's all relative. The E60 is unreliable compared to, for example, the Honda Accord or the Toyota Camry. But the E60 is rock solid compared to, for example, a Lotus Elise or a Lambo Gallardo.
[/quote]
I'll have tea with 2 lumps of unreliability please.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' post='198871
Originally Posted by jochet' post='198784' date='Nov 15 2005, 06:25 PM

I'll have tea with 2 lumps of unreliability please.
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Best and Worst