Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

BMW reply to Swedish test.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 01:57 PM
ipp
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Here is Teknikens V?rlds movies:

This board's software adds http:// in the link. Before you can see the clip, you have to remove http:// in the address bar.

High Quality: mms://qstream-wm.qbrick.com/04755/BMW/0522_bmw_high.wmv
Low Quality: mms://qstream-wm.qbrick.com/04755/BMW/0522_bmw_low.wmv

Click, or in Windows mediaplayer: File -> Open URL...

The first run is with DSC on and the second with it off. They are running the car with maximum load.

I think the result is ok, as allways with BMWs; little over steering. Maybe they should program the DSC system to work a little harder when it's on. I mean, if you wanna play you can allways disable it.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 05:57 PM
Here is Teknikens V?rlds movies:

High Quality: mms://qstream-wm.qbrick.com/04755/BMW/0522_bmw_high.wmv
Low Quality: mms://qstream-wm.qbrick.com/04755/BMW/0522_bmw_low.wmv

Click, or in Windows mediaplayer: File -> Open URL...

The first run is with DSC on and the second with it off. They are running the car with maximum load.

I think the result is ok, as allways with BMWs; little over steering. Maybe they should program the DSC system to work a little harder when it's on. I mean, if you wanna play you can allways disable it.
[snapback]192079[/snapback]
Why repost these flawed tests? It's over and done with.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:13 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Ok, if you say so... But I'm not that kind of person that swallows everthing without thinking. Just because I bought somthing it doesn't automatically means it's the best/right choice. That BMW makes this big thing out of this; makes it more suspective than if they just ignored it. Will you tell me what was "flawed" with that first test, then I'll sleep good to night...
Old 11-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 07:13 PM
Ok, if you say so... But I'm not that kind of person that swallows everthing without thinking. Just because I bought somthing it doesn't automatically means it's the best/right choice. That BMW makes this big thing out of this; makes it more suspective than if they just ignored it. Will you tell me what was "flawed" with that first test, then I'll sleep good to night...
[snapback]192093[/snapback]

You can not ignore mistakes about your product!!!! The first test shows the car with DSC OFF !!! This feature comes standard!!! Its meant to be on for this kind of maneuvering!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:36 PM
ipp
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' date='Nov 2 2005, 12:28 AM
You can not ignore mistakes about your product!!!! The first test shows the car with DSC OFF !!! This feature comes standard!!! Its meant to be on for this kind of maneuvering!!!?
[snapback]192108[/snapback]
I think I'm better at understanding swedish than you (correct me if I'm wrong). The first test is with DSC on, the second with it off. (He says it)

I know it's a well balanced car, but I also think that the DSC system is allowing too much drifting to be safe. If I'm driving with 4 passenger and some load, I don't want my car to behave like that.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 07:36 PM
[quote name='katheikia' date='Nov 2 2005, 12:28 AM']You can not ignore mistakes about your product!!!! The first test shows the car with DSC OFF !!! This feature comes standard!!! Its meant to be on for this kind of maneuvering!!!?
[snapback]192108[/snapback]
I think I'm better at understanding swedish than you (correct me if I'm wrong). The first test is with DSC on, the second with it off. (He says it)

I know it's a well balanced car, but I also think that the DSC system is allowing too much drifting to be safe. If I'm driving with 4 passenger and some load, I don't want my car to behave like that.
[snapback]192109[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, sorry, I must have seen the tests in the wrong order. I cant understand any swedish (so that didnt help me), I can speak fluent greek
Old 11-01-2005, 03:40 PM
ipp
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:14 AM
Oh, sorry, I must have seen the tests in the wrong order.? I cant understand any swedish (so that didnt help me), I can speak fluent greek
[snapback]192128[/snapback]
Old 11-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 06:13 PM
[snapback]192093[/snapback]

I don't swallow everything without some thought either. I guess you're right... perhaps I've placed too much credence on the BMW video? Or perhaps I've assigned too much weight to the vivid imagery of the original tester's refusal to drive the course with BMW present. Oh wait, no - it was the fact that there's a better test that's ISO certified, the VDA test - and the number of times the 5 has successfully passed it in the hands of automotive journalists.

It looks to me as if the driver in the original video swerves and then maintains a straight path a bit longer before turning in than the BMW driver in the BMW video. The course was navigated differently. I think this variation is what caused the car to swerve. As to the assertion that the VDA test expunges non-uniformities such as these, I'll have to defer. Certainly the ISO backing lends credence to the claims that VDA is a superior test.

Forgive me, but I can't help but suspect you are resistant to swallowing more than just the BMW data... a bit of nationalistic pride perhaps?

I've readily admitted my bias in other threads on this matter. It's against the media. American media has had at least two very high-profile blunders connected to auto safety testing. We're no better, probably worse so please don't see this as hypocrisy.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:03 PM
ipp
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:46 AM
I don't swallow everything without some thought either.? I guess you're right... perhaps I've placed too much credence on the BMW video?? Or perhaps I've assigned too much weight to the vivid imagery of the original tester's refusal to drive the course with BMW present.? Oh wait, no - it was the fact that there's a better test that's ISO certified, the VDA test - and the number of times the 5 has successfully passed it in the hands of automotive journalists.?

It looks to me as if the driver in the original video swerves and then maintains a straight path a bit longer before turning in than the BMW driver in the BMW video.? The course was navigated differently.? I think this variation is what caused the car to swerve.? As to the assertion that the VDA test expunges non-uniformities such as these, I'll have to defer.? Certainly the ISO backing lends credence to the claims that VDA is a superior test.

Forgive me, but I can't help but suspect you are resistant to swallowing more than just the BMW data...? a bit of nationalistic pride perhaps??

I've readily admitted my bias in other threads on this matter.? It's against the media.? American media has had at least two very high-profile blunders connected to auto safety testing.? We're no better, probably worse so please don't see this as hypocrisy.
[snapback]192136[/snapback]
All I'm saying is that BMW's re-run doesn't mean anything to me; they are very much a part in this case. And to me it looks like the TV-driver has a very aggresive driving style and maybe he is provoking the car to do this...
Old 11-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 08:03 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:46 AM']I don't swallow everything without some thought either.? I guess you're right... perhaps I've placed too much credence on the BMW video?? Or perhaps I've assigned too much weight to the vivid imagery of the original tester's refusal to drive the course with BMW present.? Oh wait, no - it was the fact that there's a better test that's ISO certified, the VDA test - and the number of times the 5 has successfully passed it in the hands of automotive journalists.?

It looks to me as if the driver in the original video swerves and then maintains a straight path a bit longer before turning in than the BMW driver in the BMW video.? The course was navigated differently.? I think this variation is what caused the car to swerve.? As to the assertion that the VDA test expunges non-uniformities such as these, I'll have to defer.? Certainly the ISO backing lends credence to the claims that VDA is a superior test.

Forgive me, but I can't help but suspect you are resistant to swallowing more than just the BMW data...? a bit of nationalistic pride perhaps??

I've readily admitted my bias in other threads on this matter.? It's against the media.? American media has had at least two very high-profile blunders connected to auto safety testing.? We're no better, probably worse so please don't see this as hypocrisy.
[snapback]192136[/snapback]
All I'm saying is that BMW's re-run doesn't mean anything to me; they are very much a part in this case. And to me it looks like the TV-driver has a very aggresive driving style and maybe he is provoking the car to do this...
[snapback]192148[/snapback]
[/quote]

Then we agree on those two points at least. My reason for siding with BMW isn't the video, I had already mulled over the plausibility of the various possible explanations before seeing the video or the response. The video certainly is beneficial, but even without that I just think the argument and circumstances favor BMW.

I think BMW's behavior is perfectly defensible. In my world, if we find a problem in the function of a piece of gear from a vendor - whether in a test lab or in the field, the vendor is contacted and they try to replicate the condition. I would imagine that BMW was keenly interested in determining if the car was built to spec and operating properly, so it was sent back and tested. Once its state was determined, the next step would have been to try to replicate the conditions and test to see if the problem would reappear. I see the invitation that was extended to the journalists as an act of openness, probably something that wasn't required. I'm sure some will see such fervor and thoroughness on BMW's part as defensive and possibly suspicious behavior, but I think it is in line with scientific practices.

Quick Reply: BMW reply to Swedish test.