Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

BMW the only independant mainstream/(pure) car company

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Dantheman' post='198260
Originally Posted by BMW530' post='198254' date='Nov 14 2005, 05:38 PM
[quote name='big_ipaq' post='198241' date='Nov 14 2005, 10:24 PM']
BMW/Rolls-Royce/Mini are all part of BMWGroup.

Lamborghini is FIAT/GM if I am not mistaken.
Bugatti is VAG (VW, Audi, Skoda, Sear, Porsche)
Aston Martin is Ford
Ferrari is FIAT/GM

You could easily say that BMW is one of the last independent ones. I would say the largest independent one.
Actually Lamborghini is part of VW like Bentley.
I think the original poster needs to define what he means by "independant mainstream/(pure) car company."
[/quote]

Ok let's define it by a company not sharing platforms or components from a lower class car
[/quote]
That's a good starting-point def. for what you are getting at. You may need to throw in, say, a numbers sold qualification, to exclude a company like, say, Alpina. And, you can't be a snob since snobs probably don't approve of rebels. ~{;^)
Old 11-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

BMW and Honda are two of the last big independents.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

I think BMW is not really a rebel, but it seems like it because BMW are usually the first to offer many new technologies in cars, especially in terms of driving dynamics, weight savings, electronics aids etc.

BMW are certaintly one of, if not, the most copied car makers....just look at the new S-class!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by eggz' post='198334' date='Nov 14 2005, 08:27 PM
I think BMW is not really a rebel, but it seems like it because BMW are usually the first to offer many new technologies in cars, especially in terms of driving dynamics, weight savings, electronics aids etc.

BMW are certaintly one of, if not, the most copied car makers....just look at the new S-class!
Uh oh, then is he a snob? ~{;^)
Old 11-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Members

What about Honda?
In recent letter to the Tech editor in Roundel magazine the writer requested what to use as a streetable race car as both the recent and current 3 series are proving too unreliable or prone to body fracture at the suspension mounting points!
The tech editor suggested a HONDA!. He also mentioned the MINI...."but it's not a Honda"
. This from the tech editor of the magazine for the BMWCCA!
When I bought my E36 M3 I didn't realize I was getting a disposable car until the rear suspesion fell out.!...How's that for leading edge technology and German engineering purity.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:58 PM
MEX
Senior Members

Hyundai has many connections with Chevrolet, i think chevrolet owns a share of hyundai. At least here they are distributed by them
VW
Old 11-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2001 Z3 3.0, Sports Package, Winter Package, 5-SpeedHard Top [built: pick up in Munich on 5.17.06] ED 2007 550i 6-speed (sapphire black/black dakota leather): sports package; active stearing, hud/nav, logic 7, cold weather package, rear heated seats, rear folding seat, power shades, comfort access, sat radio

We should be clear: if you are going to count BMW; then you must certainly count both Honda and Toyota. The original post sighted Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus. That is pure marketting spin. There are 2 separate companies: Toyota and Honda. In certain markets which are believed by marketers to have narrower brand-price bands Toyota markets their higher end cars as "Lexus" and Honda markets their higher end cars as "Acura". In other markets, these disinctions do not apply.

This makes it very hard to define this question of "pure" companies. In this case, though, there is no question that Honda is only one company and Toyota is only one company. There is no such company as "Lexus" or "Acura".....

.... whatever definition you come up with to define a "pure auto company" I think it should capture the idea of not competing with yourself. Once you see two cars with similar appointments, feature levels, and prices that were manufactured by 2 different companies (either privately or publicly held), then I argue that both of these companies can be called "non-pure".
Old 11-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by kfarouki' post='198432' date='Nov 15 2005, 02:26 PM
We should be clear: if you are going to count BMW; then you must certainly count both Honda and Toyota. The original post sighted Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus. That is pure marketting spin. There are 2 separate companies: Toyota and Honda. In certain markets which are believed by marketers to have narrower brand-price bands Toyota markets their higher end cars as "Lexus" and Honda markets their higher end cars as "Acura". In other markets, these disinctions do not apply.

This makes it very hard to define this question of "pure" companies. In this case, though, there is no question that Honda is only one company and Toyota is only one company. There is no such company as "Lexus" or "Acura".....

.... whatever definition you come up with to define a "pure auto company" I think it should capture the idea of not competing with yourself. Once you see two cars with similar appointments, feature levels, and prices that were manufactured by 2 different companies (either privately or publicly held), then I argue that both of these companies can be called "non-pure".
Lexus is the same as Toyota, you will see a Lexus model in Japan and it will be branded as a Toyota. Same thing for Honda and Acura. Is just a marketing scheme to get more money out of your pocket in America.