Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

BMW the only independant mainstream/(pure) car company

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the announcement of Porsche getting 20% of VW and knowing that the Cayenne is made mostly of parts from the VW Touareg http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflas..._6364_db046.htm

....I'm proud to own a BMW ... when I see Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infinity, Mercedes/Chryler, Ford/Volvo-Jaguar, GM/Saab, Audi-Porsche/VW I wonder...

It seems like BMW is a rebel...what are you thoughts? Is BMW loosing or winning by staying independant?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kia! Kia! Kia!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Dantheman' post='198230' date='Nov 14 2005, 05:09 PM
With the announcement of Porsche getting 20% of VW and knowing that the Cayenne is made mostly of parts from the VW Touareg http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflas..._6364_db046.htm

....I'm proud to own a BMW ... when I see Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infinity, Mercedes/Chryler, Ford/Volvo, GM/Saab, Audi-Porsche/VW I wonder...

It seems like BMW is a rebel...or am I just a snob?..what are you thoughts? Is BMW loosing or winning by staying independant? If they're loosing..who will be the bride?
What about BMW/Rolls Royce/Mini? How are these names related? Are they related in ways different from those you mentioned? Am I right that BMW and Rolls are related in some way?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by donv' post='198235

....I'm proud to own a BMW ... when I see Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infinity, Mercedes/Chryler, Ford/Volvo, GM/Saab, Audi-Porsche/VW I wonder...

It seems like BMW is a rebel...or am I just a snob?..what are you thoughts? Is BMW loosing or winning by staying independant? If they're loosing..who will be the bride?
What about BMW/Rolls Royce/Mini? How are these names related? Are they related in ways different from those you mentioned? Am I right that BMW and Rolls are related in some way?
[/quote]

Talking mainstream here...I didn't mention lambo, aston-martin or ferrari either... I see a big difference..I think we should be proud to own a BMW
Old 11-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

BMW/Rolls-Royce/Mini are all part of BMWGroup.

Lamborghini is FIAT/GM if I am not mistaken.
Bugatti is VAG (VW, Audi, Skoda, Sear, Porsche)
Aston Martin is Ford
Ferrari is FIAT/GM

You could easily say that BMW is one of the last independent ones. I would say the largest independent one.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='198241' date='Nov 14 2005, 05:24 PM

Aston Martin is Ford
Ferrari is FIAT/GM

You could easily say that BMW is one of the last independent ones. I would say the largest independent one.
How do you define "group?" Are none of the others mentioned above part of a similarly defined group? How was the RR/BMW/Mini group formed? And, however you spell it, what about Hundai? Is Hundai all alone? If so, poor Hundai. ~{;^)
Old 11-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='198241' date='Nov 14 2005, 10:24 PM

Aston Martin is Ford
Ferrari is FIAT/GM

Actually Lamborghini is part of VW like Bentley.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW530' post='198254

Aston Martin is Ford
Ferrari is FIAT/GM

[/quote]I think the original poster needs to define what he means by "independant mainstream/(pure) car company."
Old 11-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by donv' post='198258
Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='198241' date='Nov 14 2005, 10:24 PM

Aston Martin is Ford
Ferrari is FIAT/GM

I think the original poster needs to define what he means by "independant mainstream/(pure) car company."
[/quote]

Ok let's define it by a company not sharing platforms or components from a lower class car
Old 11-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW530' post='198254
How do you define "group?" Are none of the others mentioned above part of a similarly defined group? How was the RR/BMW/Mini group formed? And, however you spell it, what about Hundai? Is Hundai all alone? If so, poor Hundai. ~{;^)
It's Hyundai. I think they're not independent now, but I cannot remember which group they're part of.

Hyundai Tucson is the same car with Kia Sorento, if I am not mistaken.

Kia was bought also recently.

Toyota is also independent.

Quick Reply: BMW the only independant mainstream/(pure) car company