Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

BMW Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 07:51 AM
zen
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From "Autonews"

BMW won't push diesels in U.S.
FRANKFURT (Reuters) -- BMW will not join forces with German carmakers Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen and Audi to market clean diesels in the United States under the Bluetec name. While Volkswagen and Mercedes already sell diesels in the U.S. market, BMW has no plans to do so any time soon and declines to use the Bluetec name
Old 11-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by zen' post='360463' date='Nov 25 2006, 08:51 AM
From "Autonews"

BMW won't push diesels in U.S.
FRANKFURT (Reuters) -- BMW will not join forces with German carmakers Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen and Audi to market clean diesels in the United States under the Bluetec name. While Volkswagen and Mercedes already sell diesels in the U.S. market, BMW has no plans to do so any time soon and declines to use the Bluetec name
I saw that too. BMW is understood to be doing its own thing, there are diesels already in the US undergoing testing (E60 diesel sightings in CA and MI). There was a suggestion that a number of manufacturers would adapt the MB developed Bluetec emissions control system, some are apparently going to do that but BMW seemingly wants to do develop and deploy its own technology. The main issue is nitrous oxide, but in short none of the current MB or BMW diesels (even the latest MB Bluetec) can pass emissions tests in (particularly) CA and thus fail as well in the other states that follow the CARB regulations. Next year's Bluetec might pass the CARB requirements, until then although MB and VW do sell diesels in the US they aren't 50 state legal and don't sell in some of the bigger markets.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

It's over my head how US is facing the emissions chapter. On one hand they are very strict about the emissions like a diesel, but on the other i bet a new generation diesel with particle filter polutes less than a big heavy V8 found in many american cars. How does that work?! They reject diesels as being not too environment friendly but accept big V8s. Corvettes and vipers chimes into my mind and not to mention all your big suvs. I doubt a 535d polutes more than a Hummer for example. So in those conditions plus the fact that diesels are more economical (meaning they cover more miles with the same quantity of fuel) how is the environment protected?

On the other hand why need diesel when petrol is so cheap?! BTW how much does it cost in those days the gallon at the pump? (on average of course)
Old 11-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='360560' date='Nov 25 2006, 02:12 PM
It's over my head how US is facing the emissions chapter. On one hand they are very strict about the emissions like a diesel, but on the other i bet a new generation diesel with particle filter polutes less than a big heavy V8 found in many american cars. How does that work?! They reject diesels as being not too environment friendly but accept big V8s. Corvettes and vipers chimes into my mind and not to mention all your big suvs. I doubt a 535d polutes more than a Hummer for example. So in those conditions plus the fact that diesels are more economical (meaning they cover more miles with the same quantity of fuel) how is the environment protected?

On the other hand why need diesel when petrol is so cheap?! BTW how much does it cost in those days the gallon at the pump? (on average of course)

The regulations in California don't really distinguish between gasoline and diesel vehicles, the problem for diesels is that unlike in Europe the CARB regulations here mandate the same low limits for *all* greenhouse gases. MB/BMW diesels meet EU regulations, which are very focused on low CO2 emissions, but to do that with currently available technology they have to allow a greater amount of NOx, itself a greenhouse gas. EU regulations allow comparatively high NOx levels compared to CO2 but the CARB regs mandate that NOx most be as low as CO2 - right now the MB/BMW diesels struggle with that and thus fail the emissions tests. The Bluetec and urea based systems that MB and BMW are developing are their attempts to address the CO2/NOx issues. Any new car sold in California (including big V8's from BMW and others) must be able to meet and pass the same emissions tests that the diesels currently fail. Sometimes manufacturers have a little extra hardware on cars sold in CARB states, most now produce cars that are "50 state legal".

Gas here in CA is probably around $2.50 per gallon in the bay area right now . You are right about the inefficiency of certain vehicles and the seemingly strange position that a monster SUV or pick up is OK but a 535d isn't. Emissions aside, that's in large part a federal vs state issue. A lot of the good local work of progressive states like California gets partially undone because some of the bigger less efficient vehicles aren't classed as cars and thus their manufacturer does not have to factor them in to their "CAFE" numbers (a target average MPG across their model range). If they did, I'm sure we'd see less of them, or at least better efficiency. I'm sure your guess is as good as mine as to how this state of affairs may have come about . In all fairess, there is actually a lot of work going on to help make some of the bigger SUV's and trucks more efficient (some of the bigger V8's can cruise on 4 cylinders, for example) - we just need to see more of this.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='360584' date='Nov 26 2006, 02:58 AM
The regulations in California don't really distinguish between gasoline and diesel vehicles, the problem for diesels is that unlike in Europe the CARB regulations here mandate the same low limits for *all* greenhouse gases. MB/BMW diesels meet EU regulations, which are very focused on low CO2 emissions, but to do that with currently available technology they have to allow a greater amount of NOx, itself a greenhouse gas. EU regulations allow comparatively high NOx levels compared to CO2 but the CARB regs mandate that NOx most be as low as CO2 - right now the MB/BMW diesels struggle with that and thus fail the emissions tests. The Bluetec and urea based systems that MB and BMW are developing are their attempts to address the CO2/NOx issues. Any new car sold in California (including big V8's from BMW and others) must be able to meet and pass the same emissions tests that the diesels currently fail. Sometimes manufacturers have a little extra hardware on cars sold in CARB states, most now produce cars that are "50 state legal".

Gas here in CA is probably around $2.50 per gallon in the bay area right now . You are right about the inefficiency of certain vehicles and the seemingly strange position that a monster SUV or pick up is OK but a 535d isn't. Emissions aside, that's in large part a federal vs state issue. A lot of the good local work of progressive states like California gets partially undone because some of the bigger less efficient vehicles aren't classed as cars and thus their manufacturer does not have to factor them in to their "CAFE" numbers (a target average MPG across their model range). If they did, I'm sure we'd see less of them, or at least better efficiency. I'm sure your guess is as good as mine as to how this state of affairs may have come about . In all fairess, there is actually a lot of work going on to help make some of the bigger SUV's and trucks more efficient (some of the bigger V8's can cruise on 4 cylinders, for example) - we just need to see more of this.
Oh thank you for the update and for the NOx vs CO2.
I think their aim is noble not to say necesary. In fact it was proven many times that it can be a step that aproaches the life and death limit. I was impressed by the more frequent heavy storms, hurricanes, floods and other major devastation of the nature in the last years in US, that most of the time lead from few deaths to villages wiped out. In the end it was to be expected. Coincidence?! With my limited experience of US i tend not to think so. Maybe US is paying the price now and who knows what in the future, for being the heaviest consumer in petrol and the mistake encouraging it to the "madness" of starting wars for it. But not only US, the whole world,but when a superpower like USA or any other has such a big impact on environment then the whole world is affected. I'm not saying that US is the seed of evil, petrol consumption is everywhere but US has especially encouraged heavy consumers with low gas prices and big SUVs and big engines (american muscle ) etc. And now it shot back and they struggle to find the cure for it, affecting in the end the consumer who is banned for stupid reasons (stupid because of the past) from rejoicing diesel engines or similar powered european cars (ex: most bmw petrol cars are specially underpowered). At least that's how i see things...