Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Trading the X5 and M5 for an X5M...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Welcome back C. You too, mrfva.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1002745' date='Sep 9 2009, 07:41 AM
My issue with the X5M and X6M is that they're not really SUV's insofar as they're simply incapable of anything other than on-road driving. This month's Car and Driver did a review of the X6M, and while it aced the road tests and turned in some very impressive results on pavement, they tried in on what looked like fairly light off road activity and it got stuck and had to be rescued. Some other high performance SUV's check all the boxes, they are good both on-road and off-road, and my sense is that it's much easier to produce vehicles like this when you ignore things that other manufacturers do build in to their high performance SUVs. What's more impressive, a 5000lb SUV that's stellar on road but can't handle even reasonably light off-road duties, or a 5000lb SUV that's also stellar on-road but remains capable when the going gets tough?

+1, I have to agree here, because after all the point of an SUV is on-road comfort AND off-road capabilities. That said, I don't think C will be doing much off-roading anyway so if you need the space the X5M offers - go for it.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

nice to see you guys around again!!! C, Gene, Mrfva the forums has been quiet and a bit boring w/o you guys hehe
Old 09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Calton,
Why is everyone being so nice to you?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1002340' date='Sep 9 2009, 07:23 AM
That's a poser. Dr Jimmi needs to go see a shrink.

The M goes on the right side and both X5M and X6M have quad exhausts.

Anyway, C, keep the M5 and trade the X5 for an X5M. The Ultimate BMW garage (although adding an M6 convertible would be even better ).

I hope you weren't seriously expecting us to help you save money on cars? So I'm with ECF on this one

I took a friends X5 4.4i V8 out recently and although the V8 was good fun, the drive did nothing for me. I was soooo happy getting back into my E61. I haven't test driven the X5M, so cannot really give an objective opinion on how rewarding that drive would be. But you're effectively talking about trading your tuned M5 in for an SUV, and from a driving passion perspective, that just seems like a big to me. If you're just after another project, well then that's understandable, kind of!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

How many people really do any type of "Off-Roading" anyway? I'm sure if I put some 18" wheels with big, stubby tires and lowered the tire pressure to work on a terrain such as sand or mud, the car would do great. However, do I really want to put the X5M through that? When's the last time you saw a Cayenne Turbo on the plains of Africa? Hahahahaha! I'd have to send the car to FMINUS for a 6 month paint perfection. Hahahahaha! Plus, I already have another truck that I can do that with, if I need it to.

I'm going to test drive it. I was supposed to test drive that and the X6M and the new M3 DCT a couple of months ago, when BMW did their M Tour for M owners. Unfortunately, my daughter decided it would be a great idea to make her way into this world the night before the event. LOL!

I'm just starting to see that the M5 might not be ideal for me anymore. I love the car to death, but it definitely attracts WAY too much attention, puts me in situations that I have a very tough time getting out of (LOL! Everyone wants to race me all the frickin' time), drives my wife nuts (no, not like that ) and has me worried where I park it, every time I go out.

We shall see...

PS - Tony - I'm not as rich as you.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Life is tough, C.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1003227' date='Sep 9 2009, 07:41 PM
I'm just starting to see that the M5 might not be ideal for me anymore. I love the car to death, but it definitely attracts WAY too much attention, puts me in situations that I have a very tough time getting out of (LOL! Everyone wants to race me all the frickin' time), drives my wife nuts (no, not like that ) and has me worried where I park it, every time I go out.

We shall see...
Hard to picture you without a M5 C. Of course, the X5M and X6M can turn 0-60 in 4.5 seconds which is pretty damn impressive for such a large vehicle.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Hmmmm...M5 or X5M? What to do? Whatever to do??

That's a problem I wish I had C!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1003227' date='Sep 9 2009, 04:41 PM
How many people really do any type of "Off-Roading" anyway? I'm sure if I put some 18" wheels with big, stubby tires and lowered the tire pressure to work on a terrain such as sand or mud, the car would do great. However, do I really want to put the X5M through that? When's the last time you saw a Cayenne Turbo on the plains of Africa? Hahahahaha! I'd have to send the car to FMINUS for a 6 month paint perfection. Hahahahaha! Plus, I already have another truck that I can do that with, if I need it to.
Fair point, C, and I suspect you're absolutely right that very few Cayenne Turbo owners would dream of using it to tackle the Rubicon Trail... The point was, though, that it probably could! By the same token, how many of us (at least here in the US) with cars that can do 180+ MPH get to see that side of things (although, in fairness, I guess you do get much closer than most!).

Nice problem to have, my friend! Either way - if it were me, I'd keep the M5 (and particularly yours!)

Quick Reply: Trading the X5 and M5 for an X5M...