Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Night Vision/Beam Assist

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

Haven't posted in a while, but wanted to check the status of those features. Does anyone know as to when they will be made available to order in canada? Will they be available only on the 7 series or the M6/6/5/M5 as well?
Old 11-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The NightVision was actually planed for release on the 7series beginning September this year.
AFAIK it is still n/a.

No official word yet on a possible release for the 5er, nor the 6er.
They have test cars with the system, even with NV on HUD.
Rumours say that there will be a retrofit for NV after the release for the 5series. But this could be 2008...

So, for now, no NightVision available for 5 and 6 series, not available for any M modell and possibly soon available for the 7er. Maybe a retrofit later...

HighBeamAssist is a regular option allready, but the one of the most useless features and IMHO DANGEROUS and DISTURBING for others out there.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Members

As always, thanks for the quick response iceman
Old 11-07-2005, 04:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

Iceman - Why do you say that High Beam Assist is 'useless, dangerous and disturbing' ? That appears to be a little bit over the top for a system that adds to driver safety !!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet' post='194556' date='Nov 7 2005, 08:04 AM
Iceman - Why do you say that High Beam Assist is 'useless, dangerous and disturbing' ? That appears to be a little bit over the top for a system that adds to driver safety !!
I think I smell some fog lights coming this way...
Old 11-07-2005, 04:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

Fully support the fog lamp issue - but this is very different
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet' post='194556' date='Nov 7 2005, 02:04 PM
It DOES NOT add to driver safety!!!

Ppl think it does, but it doesn't! In fact it is a disturbing and dangerous system, and I don't know what the hell those engineers were thinking and how they managed to get this system legalized.

As we know from previous discussions ( ) the foglights are disturbing for SOME ppl allready.
The highbeam assist turns the highbeam off, when there is light detected! So, driving on a street where there is no light, your highbeam assist turns the high beams on! Then suddenly there is traffic coming towards you... Those oncoming lights have to be detected first, before your highbeams can be turned off! The system might be fast, but not fast enough to disturb the driver in the oncoming vehicle.

And finally...

If you can't see enough of the street in front of you when your headlights are working correctly... Then somebody should get his eyes checked.........
Old 11-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Members

Sorry - but have to disagree with you. The system only works when the driver switches it on - which is when the driver considers he/she might need it. When the sensor senses a vehcile coming the other way (or closing on one from behind) it goes back to dipped. Its reaction time is less that mine, so, to be honest I still don't understand where you're coming from. On previous cars I used to find myself switching to dipped when a car appeared around a corner - meaning I had to cope with the corner, not get dazzled by the oncoming vehicle and switch to dipped. The last point is done for me faster than I could do it. Perfect !! And if the lights were staying on for longer than they should, oncoming drivers would make sure I was aware of it by flashing me - this hasn't occured once in over 3000 miles. Sorry Iceman - but your whinging IMO isn't justified. Probably the best option on mine for value for money.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

First off all, dude: I'm ot whining nor crying!

You can think whatever the fuck you want! You don't need to agree with me, OK?

So, MY reaction time is WAAAAY faster, because I can see the light of oncoming traffic up in the sky waaaay before I can see the car! The sensor needs a certain amount of light to switch the highbeams off. This is waaay later than what I see and when I react!

And as I posted allready...

If you can't see enough with regular headlights...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Members

Sorry - I thought this was a forum to debate issues - not something to hurl abuses at people when they disagree with you because you haven't actually experienced the facility. Nice style man... nice style. Great use of the English language for someone from Germany

I'm surprised that your navigation skills aren't better than a GPS satellite - you must be slipping ! :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Night Vision/Beam Assist