Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

the new 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Why does it seem as if the 04-05 5 series people have gotten screwed, no bluetooth (well some),no sirrius with nav no voice button on the console and hardly any retrofits on the horizon, and most of all the engine.

And now with the new 3 man it has got everthing and it's standard from the push start to,bluetooth, to logic 7 as standard, and comming soon the covieience of not haveing to use the key to open the doors and prob start the car, heck they even have an electric water pump i for one feel cheated.

In the fact that the five is supossed to be the bigger brother looks like little brother invested in a .com or something.

BMW NA saw this comming and could have given us some thing other than looks to differentiate us oh yeah they did BMW Assist.

Just had to vent after reading the BMW magazine this morning SORRY
Old 05-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

I have to agree with you. I didn't want to be a voice of negativity about the E60 but my last two months experience of E90 ownership after trading in my E60 has revealed that the E90 has :-

* an overall impression of good build quality due to the better materials used in the interior (bear in mind my E60 was on Oct 03 car though ones I've seen lately don't appear much better)
* nil faults with i-drive, voice activation, bluetooth etc
* superior handling due to it's smaller size
* better choice of interior colours/trims IMHO
* more options available at launch

I guess a lot of lessons have been learned with the E60 which have made the E90 launch much smoother. It seems that the initial E65 owners were the guinea pigs, early E60 owners the lab rats and early E63 owners were lab mice Trade down to an E90 and enjoy trouble free BMW ownership
Old 05-14-2005, 04:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, bi-xenon adaptive lights, PDC, rear sun shade, rear heating, cold weather package.

Logic 7 is only standard on 330.
But there is a clear indication that it supports MP3 on all the models.
I was looking for E90 as my first BMW. but it is kind small and no discount.
I got a great deal on 2006 E60, so I opt for the E60.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:53 AM
Senior Members

In the end a loaded 330 will probably cost $49k - right? I just built one and that is how I would configure it. Includes Nav and Sat Auto.

The 5 series one can't be done right now but I would guess that a loaded 530 is about 56k (similar options)

It isn't that much difference in price. Active roll stabilization is amazing and only available on the 5 series (and up).

I for one wanted comfort seats and HUD which I can't see yet for the 3.

While we are at it - bluetooth and Nav/Sat combo works fine for 2005. The only remaining gripe is MP3 - but hopefully that is a few months away for Nav vehicles. The start button is neat but that's about it.

Oh yeah - the 3 series does have BMW assist - sorry
Old 05-14-2005, 05:08 AM
Members

[quote name='buddy' date='May 14 2005, 05:07 AM']
Why does it seem as if the 04-05 5 series people have gotten screwed, no bluetooth (well some),no sirrius with nav no voice button on the console and hardly any retrofits on the horizon, and most of all the engine.

And now with the new 3 man it has got everthing and it's standard from the push start to,bluetooth, to logic 7 as standard, and comming soon the covieience of not haveing to use the key to open the doors and prob start the car, heck they even have an electric water pump i for one feel cheated.

In the fact that the five is supossed to be the bigger brother looks like little brother invested in a .com or something.

If you are buying today, the 5 of course has Bluetooth and Sirius available along with Nav, and it all works together great. The 5 sport package includes anti-roll stability which the 3 doesn't, a great plus. The looks of the 5 are advanced and outstanding, where as the 3 is no-where-near as striking. Sure the 5 is more money (The 330i is close to $50,000 loaded, not cheap by any means) but is is larger. If it comes down to what you can afford, than so be it, but if you can go for a few grand more, the 5 is more than worth the extra bucks. BMW now has it all together on the 5, and it works beautifully. No contest
Old 05-14-2005, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by netjazz' date='May 14 2005, 07:08 AM
[quote name='buddy' date='May 14 2005, 05:07 AM']

If you are buying today, the 5 of course has Bluetooth and Sirius available along with Nav, and it all works together great. The 5 sport package includes anti-roll stability which the 3 doesn't, a great plus. The looks of the 5 are advanced and outstanding, where as the 3 is no-where-near as striking. Sure the 5 is more money (The 330i is close to $50,000 loaded, not cheap by any means) but is is larger. If it comes down to what you can afford, than so be it, but if you can go for a few grand more, the 5 is more than worth the extra bucks. BMW now has it all together on the 5, and it works beautifully. No contest
[snapback]128384[/snapback]

Yeah what he said....
At the end of the day, the most impressive things about my car is the comfort seats, logic 7 (I wonder if the 3 will be exactly the same) and Active roll stabilization.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='May 14 2005, 08:20 AM
I guess a lot of lessons have been learned with the E60 which have made the E90 launch much smoother. It seems that the initial E65 owners were the guinea pigs, early E60 owners the lab rats and early E63 owners were lab mice? ?
[snapback]128370[/snapback]
I agree the 04-05 E60 owners have a reason to feel ripped off. 04 had no bluetooth. 530 engine has been replaced. 545 is being replaced to 550. When you buy the car at the start of the model year you expect to have a car that won't go out of date for atleast another 4 to 5 years. but one year of ownership and your engine is out of production?
Old 05-14-2005, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

The engine isnt really a significant difference in my opinion, you can always expect changes in cars b/c thats the marketing to keep people wanting to buy a new car.

Dont be surprised if in a couple of years they dont make some minor cosmetic changes to the E60

Personally my car seems like it has most of the features that the new 3-series has except for the remote start button, and with the history with the 7 Series in the past couple of years I would just assume not have push button start for a while.

The new 3 Series are really nice cars, but not as nice as the 5 Series and as someone already pointed out, a loaded out 3 Series is getting close to the price of a 530 which makes me feel as if the 3 Series are alittle pricey.

The new 3 series are great cars and look good, but just the other day I was at a redlight beside a brand new 330 sedan and found them checking out my 545

All in all both are great cars but I personally do not feel as if I was cheated on my 545i I love it !!!
Old 05-14-2005, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

The three does have some nice standard equipment (especially the Logic 7...that's an expensive option), but with that said, I want to ask everyone something. I've always felt that the looks of BMWs got better as the series model decreased...so the 3 was better looking than the 5, which was better looking than the 7 (just my opinion).

With the new designs (all are pretty current), I think the 5 stands out from both is little brother and big brother. The lines, the shape, the stance, everything. I used to think they made their compact model better, but in this case, I think the 5 beats them all. Yeah, some of you 2004/2005 owners should be upset, but you have the best of the bunch. And lastly, most people on here praise the drive more than anything, so those of you with 545's have the best option that the 3 will never have...that big V8!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='May 14 2005, 06:38 AM
so those of you with 545's have the best option that the 3 will never have...that big V8!!! ? ? ?
[snapback]128424[/snapback]
Wait for the E90 M3.