Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

my 130i E87

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='222711' date='Jan 11 2006, 10:43 AM
Hi,

no, thats what I am saying, the 130i has no chance next to any M5 or any Porsche. I dont want to argue who is faster, it really doesnt matter.

My friend?s 130i was built one day before mine, we have actually the same acceleration times, we drive side by side. In the meanwhile he added a compressor, crazy guy. His 130 was on the power test stand: before compressor (normal serial 130i) 279 HP, after compressor 319 HP I think it was.

One thing I know for sure regarding diesels, maybe the 535d will also make 270 km/h, but considering the high rpm?s it is at at that high speed, further acceleration comes much slower than a comparible gas engine, it just looses power as the rpm?s go up. A lot of people are not aware of that, but just look at your torque/power diagramm. Every td has its max torque at only 2000 rpm, then it really goes downhill.

Given the fact that power=torque x rpm, ones sees its impossible to build up more power since the curve goes down more than the higher rpm?s can compensate.

Lets not argue which car is or is not faster, lets enjoy our bmw?s!!
Sorry if i was or i let it to be percived as an agressive comment. I am by far trying to argue on who's car is faster. I'm just saying it would be a nice race for me as i didn't find too much competition here. Well at this time of year it's almost impossible and un-natural. From bmw i would like to compete with a:130i, if not then a 330i, 540i,545i, E46 M3.
You have a point with the power curve. And i am sure a petrol is more suited for top speeds. It's a fact. The diesel acts better at lower speeds. I would really want to see the hp/torque curve for the 535d. From what i know also there is a general rule: many hp=high top speed and much torque=fast accelerations. That's the reason for the fact that american muscle cars are so good on straight line or drag. They put out alot of torque. They have many hp also but torque always seems to be almost double (corvette, viper, mustang...).

I dunno how to give a good explenation, but from my experience and knowledge i know that torque gets u there fast and hp help reaching high speeds. Also i know there is a relation between hp and torque and if there is one then why some cars have such a gap? It exceeds my understanding...
Old 01-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

Please dont apologize, you were in no way aggresive, neither was I trying to be.

You really cannot say much torque = fast acceleration, physics is more complicated then that.

Your engine outputs a certain amount of torque, measure it in Nm or lbs/ft., whatever. What is this? It has nothing to do with power for the first. Power is, in words, work by time. Time! Where is time in torque? Its not there. Imagine like this, through the combustion process your crankshaft gets "hit" by so and so much torque. To make this power, you need a factor which considers time (power= work in a certain period of time). Where do we get the time from? No, its not your 0-100 its your rpm. Rpm says how long (per minute) your crankshaft gets hit, how many times does it rotate being hit.

So, Power=torque x rpm, now we?ve got HP, finally. But, unfortuneatly only engine HP, means nothing in real life. Moving the power to the wheels we need to get over 2 things: gearbox and the differential (hope its also called that in English!). All gears and the differential have certain translation ratios, then you finally have the amount of power which is actually transported to the wheels.

Even more important for concluding what a engine or a vehicle can do is WHERE is the max. power? Lets look athe diagramm, typical diesel (no I am not trying to ruine the reputation of diesels, I am just a gas engine fan, no offense please). Wheres the power? Wow 200 kw! When do you have it? Actually you almost never do! At ~ 4200 rpm (thats a lot for diesel already) for just one second you have 200 kW. Where is all that diesel torque? Wow, 560 Nm, but only for a second, look at the curve before and after the max. Its gone, the higher the rpm, the lower the torque. The max. power is at 4200 rpm, this is your point of highest acceleration (provided your gear ratio alows this), than you need the next gear. But for comparison, at 4200 rpm the gas engine is just building up power, its max is still to come, usually around 6000 rpm +/-, but much more constant before and after the maximum.

Just wanting to say, torque is nothing, it needs rpm to make it to power. Also the max. torque and power is not really important, its about how the curve goes, in a gas engine the power curve will increase with rpm, the torque curve is relativ constant, only has a low max-peak.

You can calculate all this stuff, its actually not quite hard. Takes about 5 min to calculate how much power you really need if you want to go 270 km/h or whatever speed. The only additional info one needs, is translation ratio of the highest gear and the differential, tire size and Cw-Value (aerodynamik gets more important with increasing speed, the mass is only important for acceleration, not for top speed).

Take it easy!
Attached Thumbnails my 130i E87-bmw_6zyl_diesel_motor.jpg  
Old 01-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='222794' date='Jan 11 2006, 06:10 PM
You can calculate all this stuff, its actually not quite hard. Takes about 5 min to calculate how much power you really need if you want to go 270 km/h or whatever speed. The only additional info one needs, is translation ratio of the highest gear and the differential, tire size and Cw-Value (aerodynamik gets more important with increasing speed, the mass is only important for acceleration, not for top speed).
well he doesnt know how to do that, remember the m5Xm3Xporsche thread , where he claimed the porsche was a lot less then it actuall is
Old 01-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

Originally Posted by 700700' post='223377
well he doesnt know how to do that, remember the m5Xm3Xporsche thread , where he claimed the porsche was a lot less then it actuall is
[/quote]

@700700
I do find your comment somewhat unproductive, I was just thinking that one thread earlier also.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='223381
Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='222794' date='Jan 11 2006, 06:10 PM

@700700
I do find your comment somewhat unproductive, I was just thinking that one thread earlier also.
[/quote]

You find that comment somewhat unproductive, mate i think all he's trying to tell you is that you talking a load crap (shit )..
Old 01-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 535D Sport' post='223414
Originally Posted by 700700' post='223377' date='Jan 12 2006, 01:23 PM
[quote name='dude_in_germany' post='222794' date='Jan 11 2006, 06:10 PM']

@700700
[/quote]

You find that comment somewhat unproductive, mate i think all he's trying to tell you is that you talking a load crap (shit )..
[/quote]
Finally!
Anyway...despite what i can do or can't... ...well not all of us are so smart like u. I only said in that thred that porsche is somewhere between 550-600bhp. So i was closer than u think 700700. The guy before me said he must be running 700+. And you said it is around 630 or so after your brainstorm calculation...so i was closer to the answer even by speculating as u arrogantly told me. You called also, if i recall, my car in a way but i don't want to remember. If u continue in this manner i will find a way to block your replys.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='223437
you i got the german drift
Attached Thumbnails my 130i E87-313_ifyoucanreadthis.jpg  
Old 01-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='220420' date='Jan 7 2006, 11:21 AM
My new BMW 130i

You got any pics?

The 130i has done great in tests, many say it is the best GT small car!