Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

M3 and 135i US Debut!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US debuts at the LA Auto Show include the new M3 and 1-series, C63 AMG, GT-R, GT2, Vantage N400, Jaguar XF.

North American Debuts
Aston Martin V-8 Vantage N400

Audi A4

Bentley Continental GT Speed

BMW 1 Series

BMW M3

Buick Riviera concept

Chevrolet Aveo5

Dodge Journey

Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Jaguar XF

KIA KND-4 concept

Lamborghini Revent?n

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG

Mercedes S400 Hybrid concept

MINI Cooper Clubman

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Nissan G-TR

Porsche 911 GT2

Porsche Cayenne Hybrid concept

Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1

Spyker C8 Laviolette LWB

Subaru WRX STi

Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Volvo ReCharge concept

Volvo V70

Link to LA Auto Show (Starts this Friday, the Nov. 16th):
http://laautoshow.com/2007/Home/Debu...5/Default.aspx
Old 11-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Contributors

Hmm....what are they doing? For as long as I could remember the LA Auto Show had always started the first weekend in January, then last year they moved it to December, and now November? I liked it when it started the first weekend of January because it was another thing to look forward to once Christmas and New Years had passed. I guess the Detroit Show is more important and they did not want the LA Show to be only one or two weeks prior to the Detroit one (like it had been for decades).
Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

I'm gonna go to it..take my gf too...anyone else planning on going?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

They had it early last year and it sucked most Big names didnt have the new models. Hopefully the aftermarket area wont have the same stuff. Im about 50/50 on going when you guys going?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='493786' date='Nov 13 2007, 11:41 AM
They had it early last year and it sucked most Big names didnt have the new models. Hopefully the aftermarket area wont have the same stuff. Im about 50/50 on going when you guys going?
Maybe friday or thinking sunday
Old 11-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='493786' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:41 PM
The show this year will featureat at least 14 World debuts and nearly 30 North American debuts. It looks to be the best one yet.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here's a little press copy on the US debut of the M3:

THE NEW BMW M3 COUPE AND SEDAN TO MAKE NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT AT LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW
11/13/2007

The Fourth Generation Benchmark Performance Car - Now with a V-8
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - November 2, 2007... BMW will unveil one of the most anticipated new cars of the year as it raises the performance benchmark once again with the North American premieres of the 2008 M3 Coupe and Sedan at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The all-new 4th generation 2008 M3 Coupe and the all-new 4 door M3 Sedan will arrive in the spring of 2008 and will feature a high-revving V-8 engine developing 414-horsepower at 8,300rpm, a first in a series-production BMW M3 and the highest-performing M3 ever offered by BMW's M division.

The BMW M3 Coupe will feature a unique carbon fiber roof panel that reduces weight by 44lbs versus the optional steel roof panel with moonroof. Both the M3 Coupe and Sedan will feature driver-adjustable settings for crucial dynamic controls including steering, damping and stability (and an available steering-wheel-mounted "MDrive" button to store the preferences) and a sports oriented interior that can be optimized to a driver's desires. including the comprehensive entertainment/navigation system operated through BMW's latest iDrive controller.

Lightweight, efficient V8 at the heart of the BMW M3
The move to eight cylinders in the fourth generation BMW M3 provides a powerplant offering the seemingly disparate characteristics of more power, increased efficiency and reduced weight when compared with the previous six-cylinder M3 engine. Displacing 3,999 cubic centimeters (4.0 liters), the new light-alloy engine produces 414 hp at 8,300 rpm and 295 pound-feet of torque at 3,900 rpm with 85 percent of the maximum torque available consistently through 6,500 rpm. This power output represents a 17% increase over the six-cylinder from the last generation M3 yet the new engine weighs 7% less and consumes 8% less fuel than its predecessor.

Manual transmission, twin-disc clutch and Variable M Differential Lock

Power from the BMW M3 Coupe and Sedan's V8 is transmitted to the rear wheels through a close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox. The performance parameters of the M3 dictated heat management as a key design factor for both the transmission and clutch. The transmission features integrated temperature-dependent oil cooling management, while internal ventilation maximizes heat dissipation for the twin-disc clutch.

The new final drive comes with a Variable M Differential Lock generating up to 100 percent locking action with fully variable action whenever required, ensuring optimum traction on all road surfaces.

Latest-generation of Dynamic Stability Control
The electronic Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) monitors driving conditions and intervenes through the application of brakes and reduced engine power to stabilize the BMW M3 and help avoid major over- or under-steer situations.

In addition to engine controls and the ABS, other systems integrated in the DSC are Automatic Stability Control (ASC), which prevents the wheels from spinning on surfaces with reduced traction; the Start-Off Assistant, which prevents the car from rolling back when setting off on a grade, as well as Cornering Brake Control (CBC), which prevents the car from spinning or swerving out of control when applying the brakes in a bend.

The latest version of DSC includes additional functions for even greater driving safety. Whenever the driver is likely to apply the brakes in full within the next few seconds, the system builds up pressure in the hydraulic brake circuit and pre-loads the brake pads to ensure an immediate response. The Dry Braking feature removes water film from the discs in wet conditions, thus reducing the chance of water interfering with the braking process.

Electronic Damper Control recognizing the driver's style of driving
The optional Electronic Damper Control (EDC) allows the driver to tailor the vehicle's chassis dynamics to his or her preference through one of three modes: Sport, Normal and Comfort.
The response of all dynamic driving systems is carefully tailored to the power and performance of the new BMW M3, with electronic intervention of the various systems naturally taking the dynamics of the car into account. Indeed, the driver even has the option to individually configure specific parameters, thus adjusting the response of the car to his personal preferences.

Interior design oriented an active driving experience with luxury
There is no question as to the heritage of the vehicle upon opening the door of the new BMW M3 thanks to the M car logo in the door sills. The unique nature of the vehicle carries to the dash where the dual circular instruments typical of BMW - the speedometer and fuel gauge as well as the tachometer and oil temperature display - are in specific M style. A feature typical of BMW M cars is the variable warning zone on the tachometer that informs the driver of the recommended engine speed depending on the engine oil temperature.

The M3's leather steering wheel, with its thumb contours resting firmly in the driver's hands, provides an optimum grip for precise movement of the steering wheel. The spokes within the steering wheel incorporate the remote control buttons for the audio system and mobile phone, as well as the optional MDrive button. An additional auxiliary button may be programmed through the optional BMW iDrive system.

A premium AM/FM/single-disc CD audio system comes standard with an auxiliary input jack. Individual entertainment options include SIRIUS satellite radio, HD radio and a USB-enabled port for control of an Apple iPod or iPhone media player. These three options can be bundled together in the Technology Package, should one choose to have them all together.

For vehicles equipped with Navigation, the comprehensive information and entertainment systems are controlled by the refined BMW iDrive. Selecting the Navigation/iDrive option also brings the performance-oriented, steering-wheel-spoke-mounted Mdrive button.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

And here's some press copy on the 1 Series US debut:

NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT FOR NEW BMW 1 SERIES COUPE IN LOS ANGELES
11/13/2007

2008 is Year 1 of the 1
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - November 2, 2007, 6PM EDT... The BMW 1 Series Coupe, which draws inspiration from the iconic BMW 2002 of some 40 years ago, will make its North American debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show. By combining sporty rear-wheel-drive dynamics, agile handling, powerful engines and seating for four, the 1 Series Coupe will reinvent the niche created by the legendary BMW 2002.

On sale in the spring of 2008, the 1 Series Coupe will be available in two versions; the 128i and the 135i. Powered by a 3.0-liter, 230 horsepower inline 6-cyinder engine that generates 200 lb-ft of torque, the 128i Coupe will feature Valvetronic valvetrain management and aluminum/magnesium contruction-core elements of BMW's EfficientDynamics.

The powerful 135i Coupe features BMW's twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine that produces 300 horsepower and an incredible 300 lb-ft of torque from as low as 1,400 rpm. With its direct piezo gasoline injectors, twin low-mass turbochargers and air-to-air intercooling, optimum performance and economy is achieved with no loss in engine response. For the 135i Coupe, acceleration from 0-62 mph is accomplished in 5.3 seconds and top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph. Both engines feature on-demand engine coolant pumps that improve fuel economy and reduce parasitic losses for increased output.

Handsome looks with sporting intentions
The new 1 Series Coupe combines unique, dynamic and unmistakable design elements with a powerful and muscular body. The greenhouse with its characteristic "Hofmeister kink" is moved rearward and offers a particularly nimble look with its long hood. The short overhangs, long wheelbase and large frameless doors sit on a body with a striking shoulder line for a modern interpretation of BMW's characteristic look. On the 135i Coupe, an M Aerodynamic Kit is standard.

The 1 Series boasts an aggressive rear end styling. The trunklid has an integrated spoiler chiselled into the rear end of the car to accentuate the short rear section. On the 135i, an additional lip spoiler provides greater downforce on the rear end at high speeds.

Luxurious interior appointments with today's technology
The innovative interior design incorporates high-quality and sophisticated trim elements with luxurious upholstery and color choices. A 60/40 split rear seat is standard. The control console for the entertainment and air conditioning functions is integrated smoothly and harmoniously into the dashboard through its soft radii and flowing surfaces. The controller featured in the iDrive system with the optional Navigation system is integrated in the center console, again following BMW's characteristic philosophy. Galvanized pearl gloss surfaces adorn the interior door handles, the glove compartment handle, the radio's rotary knobs, the knobs of the automatic air conditioning system, the iDrive Controller, and the ornamental trim strips featured on the sports steering wheel.

The BMW 1 Series Coupe is available with a choice of two upholstery options-sporty and comfortable Leatherette or rich Boston Leather. Boston Leather upholstery adds further style to the high-quality impression of the interior. And as a practical feature, map pockets are integrated in the lower part of the doors. The optional Sport Package includes sports buckets seats with enhanced side support and are finished in highly distinctive leatherette materials or Boston leather.

Enhanced iDrive and integration of an external MP3 player
BMW's iDrive is included with the optional navigation system. It enables the driver to control all secondary and comfort functions such as communication, air conditioning, entertainment and navigation functions easily and conveniently.

This latest version of iDrive is equipped with six Programmable Memory Keys that allow the driver to program functions that are used particularly often such as navigation destinations, radio stations or specific telephone numbers. Touch-sensative sensors on these buttons preview the function on the iDrive screen before the button is depressed. This allows the driver to choose the stored function safely and conveniently, keeping his or her eyes on the road in the process.

A wide choice of audio and communication are also available, never before seen in the compact performance market. These features include SIRIUS satellite radio, HD radio, Premium Sound system and Bluetooth interface. For simple and straightforward connection of an MP3 player, an Auxiliary input jack is standard, and a USB port for direct control of an Apple iPod or iPhone media player is available as an option.

High-tech suspension with newly-developed differential
In typical BMW style, the new BMW 1 Series Coupe transmits the power of the engine to the rear wheels. This design concept and configuration - engine at the front, drive wheels at the rear - guarantees optimum traction, good weight distribution front-to-rear, excellent directional stability, and predictable handling.

The new 1 Series Coupe has a sophisticated suspension system with an aluminium double-pivot front suspension and a five-link fully independent rear suspension in lightweight steel. BMW's Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) also includes a Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) function that provides electronic intervention to prevent loss of vehicle control, but at a higher threshold before activation. Active Steering, a variable ratio steering system exclusive to BMW, is available as an option.

M-inspired performance for the 135i Coupe
The 135i Coupe offers more performance and a striking look thanks to M-inspired components. Features include an Aero kit for additional downforce at speed, better brake cooling and enhanced aesthetics while the Sports Suspension offers higher traction and reduced body roll with 18-inch wheels and performance tires. The Sports Suspension also includes with a high-performance brake system incorporating six-piston fixed calipers on the front and two-piston fixed calipers at the rear.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='493595' date='Nov 13 2007, 03:44 AM
Hmm....what are they doing? For as long as I could remember the LA Auto Show had always started the first weekend in January, then last year they moved it to December, and now November? I liked it when it started the first weekend of January because it was another thing to look forward to once Christmas and New Years had passed. I guess the Detroit Show is more important and they did not want the LA Show to be only one or two weeks prior to the Detroit one (like it had been for decades).

Hey Rody, though I agree with you, unfortunately the permanent date for the LA Auto Show will be in November. It was done so that it wouldn't conflict with the Detroit show. In the past, it actually overlapped the Detroit show by a week and it made it impossible to show the one-off prototypes at both shows. Sometimes they would have new prototypes on the second week after premiering in Detroit on the first week. I also recall as a kid that the LA Show used to be the more important show over the Detroit show where they would premier more new cars in LA. Hopefully it's changing back to LA but that makes the deadlines for prototype designs even tighter.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Members

GT-R caught the most attention at the show. The 2 M3's looked okay, they didn't wow me as much as the GT-R.