Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Just test -drove a 335i, nice tune up on the steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Is there anyway we could get our transmission to work like this?

When you downshift, it matches your revs, pretty cool, just like SMG does.
When you go on D/S (Sport mode) and then go manual, gear shifts happen instantly.

So much different (and better) than the transmission I've got :thumbsdown: . Can this be fixed with a software upgrade?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='341292' date='Oct 3 2006, 11:31 AM

When you go on D/S (Sport mode) and then go manual, gear shifts happen instantly.

So much different (and better) than the transmission I've got :thumbsdown: . Can this be fixed with a software upgrade?
I'm almost certain a software upgrade would fix this, (but sadly not sure whether we'll ever see it...) The new Jag XK uses the exact same ZF transmission as I have in my 550 and I know that their software also blips the throttle to rev match on downshifts in manual mode so it should be possible!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

From what i've read about the new updated steptronic this can't be done my software upgrading. There is new uprated mechanical stuff in it.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Read post #5 and #6.

Its a new transmission... well not new but mechnically updated... like the old 545 engine and the new 550 engine. basically the same block but has new parts.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=31818
Old 10-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='341302' date='Oct 3 2006, 12:16 PM
From what i've read about the new updated steptronic this can't be done my software upgrading. There is new uprated mechanical stuff in it.
The 335 may well use a new version of the auto box but I'm pretty sure the Jag XK uses the same version of the ZF as the current 550 - but with different software to BMW's and it does have the capability to blip the throttle on downshifts. It does seem to be possible, it's just that BMW's software doesn't currently support it. It does sound like something that could be supported through software updates for the "older" ZF boxes.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='341292' date='Oct 3 2006, 02:31 PM

It is noticeably quicker and smoother.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Members

ok, all you smg guys, you know how it feels like you are driving a manual, (eg...you can feel the clutch engage and disengage? it feels like some really acurate race car driver is actually shifting for you at the flap of a paddle) and how smg blips ont he downshifts...oooohweee pleasure to my ears. So, in this new automatic, does it disengage the tq to allow for blips? I remember on my old 5 series (e34 525i 271K 4 sp. auto) the tq disengages from 3-2 downshifts, but no other gear -- i would be able to rev math the gears...is this kinda what this new transmission foes in every gear? Cuase im really sick of downshifting into first in ANY automatic...its just like someone slamming on the brakes...does this new auto tranny sort this out by acting like an smg?

i think now, my friends, we havecome to a point in time where an automatic actually rivals any form of smg...unless you are a Mercedezzz with only auto's for pu55i35 (slr is auto...wow)

-jason

any thoughts, opinions?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Went along to my local dealer for a 1-hour test-drive of the 335d Coupe this morning, and ... ended up placing an order.

Yes the E92 really is that good; the 335d engine is (as expected) superb and new Steptronic is very impressive. The car comes with steering wheel paddles, but I would almost go as far as to say that you mostly don't need them - though it's always nice to be able to drop down a gear, in anticipation of an overtaking move, for example. I really like the way you can use the paddles to go up and down the 'box, but after a while it goes back into auto mode - nice touch.

Even the ride (with sports suspension and 19" wheels on the demo car) was really good - a great balance between sportiness (very little roll) and comfort.

Looks like BMW have really got their act together, and I hope they migrate the same improvements across into the E60 - in fact if they do, I might even be tempted back in a couple of years (after struggling with no back doors and a growing teenage son).
Old 10-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by red-max' post='346294' date='Oct 18 2006, 07:05 PM
Went along to my local dealer for a 1-hour test-drive of the 335d Coupe this morning, and ... ended up placing an order.

Yes the E92 really is that good; the 335d engine is (as expected) superb and new Steptronic is very impressive. The car comes with steering wheel paddles, but I would almost go as far as to say that you mostly don't need them - though it's always nice to be able to drop down a gear, in anticipation of an overtaking move, for example. I really like the way you can use the paddles to go up and down the 'box, but after a while it goes back into auto mode - nice touch.

Even the ride (with sports suspension and 19" wheels on the demo car) was really good - a great balance between sportiness (very little roll) and comfort.

Looks like BMW have really got their act together, and I hope they migrate the same improvements across into the E60 - in fact if they do, I might even be tempted back in a couple of years (after struggling with no back doors and a growing teenage son).
Don't! I'm tempted!!! Kinda of convinced myself I should get a 535i with all the goodies but the 535d is tempting too... (Both updated versions of course...)

However, would love the E92... (Two kiddies under 3 though)
Old 10-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by red-max' post='346294' date='Oct 18 2006, 07:05 PM

did you also drive the 335i .... back to back i mean ??? any comparison please much appreciated

Quick Reply: Just test -drove a 335i, nice tune up on the steptronic