Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

Local NYC, Brooklyn Meet

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by 530iii' date='Feb 17 2005, 04:31 PM
OK, for now who's up for Brooklyn the next Saturday (02/26/05?) or Sunday around noontime that's sunny and at least 50 degrees?

Bring a pretty girl with ya! (mistress, hoochie, whatever)

White Plains area Meet TBA. Hey, what about you Staten Islanders for BK?
[snapback]91462[/snapback]

I can probably make it, but solo. The wife just does not understand this obession with the car.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 525i SilverGray/Black Step/Nav/Cold/Premium/Xenons

I'd be down for any get together in Westchester, could meet at Purchase & then cruise on over to the Turtle or Finns for a few cold ones
Old 02-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Members

we have alotta white plainer's, what do we do? , lol. i also kinda can't get my other car for this weekend, the civic is in the shop for electrical issues. hmm.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by robg' date='Feb 17 2005, 06:22 PM
I do not belive them Rudy.? BMW has stated this is the technology of the future.? The only (maybe?) tranny to be offered in the new flagship M5.? I think it would be quite embarrasing if they pulled the SMG.? Would also open them to liability to all of us who have itl.

Maybe they will just stop covering the cluth/tranny as part of the maintenance like they did with the M3
[snapback]91514[/snapback]
I really don't believe them at this point. I, too, believe it's the future of manuals. The only thing that worries me is that they may decide to stick with only one type of SMG system instead of offering two. It's possible that the one we have on the E60 (as well as the one offered on the Z4 and most likely on the new 3) will be dropped so they can concentrate on the more advanced SMG III unit that is coming in the M5. I guess the question is whether or not they can make it work well with the lower output 6 cyl engines since the article talks about keeping it only for high output, high rpm cars (i.e. "M" cars).

If they don't offer an SMG on the V8 5-series, I'll be bummed out because there's no way I could go back to a clutch pedal now (and I don't want a steptronic -- guess I'll be forced to get an M5!)
Old 02-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i: Mystic Blue, Auburn Dakota leather Premium and Winter Package, Xenons

I'd be willing to come by from Jersey..but after a few months ...just way to much work at the moment
Old 02-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 17 2005, 10:49 PM
I guess the question is whether or not they can make it work well with the lower output 6 cyl engines since the article talks about keeping it only for high output, high rpm cars (i.e. "M" cars).

If they don't offer an SMG on the V8 5-series, I'll be bummed out because there's no way I could go back to a clutch pedal now (and I don't want a steptronic -- guess I'll be forced to get an M5!)
[snapback]91635[/snapback]
i really would throw out the comments on that article as false, sure SMG will continue to evolve for all non-Ms, but i dont think it has anything to do with "lower output 6 cyls" .... the 630i offers it and will continue to, the new E90 330i is offering it, there is no way that the E60 will not have as an option when it too will have the same engine in the new 530i R6...

besides, can you imagine the negative publicity if they pulled it from the 5 when the ///M5 is soley SMG (outside of the US)...????

...i will be forced to get an E63 if they did that anyway cause im done with the clutch, and the step is fun, but it makes you wish you had SMG....
Old 02-18-2005, 06:27 AM
Members

alrighty, so whats going on for saturday?, who's coming and where are we going?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 17 2005, 10:49 PM
[
I really don't believe them at this point. I, too, believe it's the future of manuals. The only thing that worries me is that they may decide to stick with only one type of SMG system instead of offering two. It's possible that the one we have on the E60 (as well as the one offered on the Z4 and most likely on the new 3) will be dropped so they can concentrate on the more advanced SMG III unit that is coming in the M5. I guess the question is whether or not they can make it work well with the lower output 6 cyl engines since the article talks about keeping it only for high output, high rpm cars (i.e. "M" cars).

[snapback]91635[/snapback]
[/quote]

If they go with a single SMG, the III from the M, my guess is that it will become an option you have to pay for - like the 1st generation M3. From what I have read about the SMG III - with its 7 gears and multple settings - it must be more expensive than the SMG II. I cant see BMW just giving it away as part of the sport package on the non-M's.

I personally would pay for it (assuming it to bea 2K or less option) especially for the new and improved version. I have driven the SMG I in the M3 and find it superior to the SMG II in most regards, especially the faster response/shift time. The only thing I prefer about the II is that both paddles to the same things
Old 02-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by robg' date='Feb 18 2005, 10:51 AM
I have driven the SMG I in the M3 and find it superior to the SMG II in most regards, especially the faster response/shift time.? The only thing I prefer about the II is that both paddles to the same things
[snapback]91773[/snapback]
I think you have the SMG versions backwards...

The M3 has the SMG II. I imagine that the E60 version might be the "I" version...
Old 02-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 18 2005, 11:38 AM
[quote name='robg' date='Feb 18 2005, 10:51 AM']I have driven the SMG I in the M3 and find it superior to the SMG II in most regards, especially the faster response/shift time.? The only thing I prefer about the II is that both paddles to the same things
[snapback]91773[/snapback]
I think you have the SMG versions backwards...

The M3 has the SMG II. I imagine that the E60 version might be the "I" version...
[snapback]91788[/snapback]
[/quote]

Boy, we really hijackedthis thread. I thought the M# would be I becasue it came out first. far too logical for BMW.

Back to the thread topic, do we have a final date, time, location for a Brooklyn meet?

Quick Reply: Local NYC, Brooklyn Meet