Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

Feeler: Meet/drive UPSTATE NY (About 1.5hrs from NYC)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='911474' date='Jun 14 2009, 07:07 PM
Did some driving yesterday... well, a LOT of driving - found a few nice roads... well, enough for a few meets...

Let me get to the point: I have a question that I'd like everyone to give me their opinions on: how long (time or mileage) do you think a meet should be? I've spent about 9 hours behind the wheel of my car yesterday and was ready to do another 12, but I'm probably more of an anomaly, so chime in. In the meantime, here's a couple pics from my yesterday's ride:

Attachment 82029

here's me thinking "this could be done":
Attachment 82030

I love to drive so I am fine with an 8-9 hour meet. But I am first to admit that I'm a freak when it comes to driving. For me, the more the better.

I think that it is fair to say that the longer the distance of the meet, the fewer members are likely to go. Those of us who went on the June 6th Poconos/Sussex/Harriman meet had an absolute blast. It began at 9 am and ended at about 4:30 pm. But there were only six cars.

While, given the solid reviews of the six members who went (thanks Gregg for calling it "the run of all meets" , I expect a bigger turnout for the July 25th repeat of the meet, I am not expecting anywhere near the 60 car Bear Mountain meet turnout of April. And I expect that because some members want to show off their cars and drive a bit but don't want to commit to a full day and a 300 mile drive. Different strokes for different folks.

Bottom line: if you do a long, upstate NY meet, I'll show and you will get some of the members who really like to drive long distances in their rides. You will not get a 60 car turnout. But for a long drive, that's probably better anyway because it is so easy to lose members on a long route.

My advice: schedule it and those who want to come will come.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='911514' date='Jun 14 2009, 07:52 PM
I love to drive so I am fine with an 8-9 hour meet. But I am first to admit that I'm a freak when it comes to driving. For me, the more the better.

I think that it is fair to say that the longer the distance of the meet, the fewer members are likely to go. Those of us who went on the June 6th Poconos/Sussex/Harriman meet had an absolute blast. It began at 9 am and ended at about 4:30 pm. But there were only six cars.

While, given the solid reviews of the six members who went (thanks Gregg for calling it "the run of all meets" , I expect a bigger turnout for the July 25th repeat of the meet, I am not expecting anywhere near the 60 car Bear Mountain meet turnout of April. And I expect that because some members want to show off their cars and drive a bit but don't want to commit to a full day and a 300 mile drive. Different strokes for different folks.

Bottom line: if you do a long, upstate NY meet, I'll show and you will get some of the members who really like to drive long distances in their rides. You will not get a 60 car turnout. But for a long drive, that's probably better anyway because it is so easy to lose members on a long route.

My advice: schedule it and those who want to come will come.
Thanks for input Scott. I'm counting on you leading the 8+ cylinder pack, btw - are you up for the job?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='911622' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for input Scott. I'm counting on you leading the 8+ cylinder pack, btw - are you up for the job?
I'm always up for the job! We'll have to see how many of our 10 cylinder breathren show. It's always a blast to try and hand with a M5 in the twisties. The twistier the road, the more I can stay even with the M5 as it becomes a traction game. Of course when the road straightens, 550 can't keep up with M5.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='911627' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:49 PM
I'm always up for the job! We'll have to see how many of our 10 cylinder breathren show. It's always a blast to try and hand with a M5 in the twisties. The twistier the road, the more I can stay even with the M5 as it becomes a traction game. Of course when the road straightens, 550 can't keep up with M5.
I'll PM you with some info later - need your advice about mapping the route.

Possible dates:

August 8th
August 15th
August 22nd
August 29th
September 5th
September 12th

I'm sort of reluctant to do it in August, bc its really hot and cars run better in cooler weather. On the other hand, if we really have to do a meet in August, Catskills are prolly a great place, as it is high up and it is cooler there...
Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='911634' date='Jun 14 2009, 10:09 PM
I'll PM you with some info later - need your advice about mapping the route.

Possible dates:

August 8th
August 15th
August 22nd
August 29th
September 5th
September 12th

I'm sort of reluctant to do it in August, bc its really hot and cars run better in cooler weather. On the other hand, if we really have to do a meet in August, Catskills are prolly a great place, as it is high up and it is cooler there...
September 5th is probably out because it is Labor Day weekend.

Lots of people are on vacation the last 2 weeks in August. Accordingly, I would avoid August 22 and 29.

Once you are more certain as to where the route will be, I'd take a poll with the August 8 and 15 and the September 12 dates. The Catskills offer some great roads. But again, due to distance, a Catskills meet would probably be a 10-15 car meet at the maximum given that it would consume an entire day -- which is fine with me.

PM or call me about mapping the route.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='911639' date='Jun 14 2009, 10:18 PM
September 5th is probably out because it is Labor Day weekend.

Lots of people are on vacation the last 2 weeks in August. Accordingly, I would avoid August 22 and 29.

Once you are more certain as to where the route will be, I'd take a poll with the August 8 and 15 and the September 12 dates. The Catskills offer some great roads. But again, due to distance, a Catskills meet would probably be a 10-15 car meet at the maximum given that it would consume an entire day -- which is fine with me.

PM or call me about mapping the route.
Yep, I think 10-15 cars is just about perfect. Not that I'll mind if it'll be more - the more the merrier!

I'll PM you with a few ideas later on.