Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

Feeler: Meet/drive UPSTATE NY (About 1.5hrs from NYC)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'll be doing some recon for a possible meet in the area in the coming weekends and just wanna know who's up for a nice mountain serpantine roadtrip.

So far, I've been reading reports that the asphalt on the route that I'm planning taking is excellent, so big rims and low suspensions friendly, but as I said, I'll be doing recon, so I'll also try to map the areas with big bumps (if any) and so on...

PM me with specific questions, but for now - and I don't really have any particular date set - let me know if this is something you might do...

This is a teaser pic of the actual road we'd be taking:

Feeler: Meet/drive UPSTATE NY (About 1.5hrs from NYC)-upstate_meet.jpg
Old 06-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Contributors

WOW. is that in the catskills?

i miss roads like that. FL is so boring.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

wow. i'm def down. but i hope i get my new wheels in time.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='905026
wow. i'm def down. but i hope i get my new wheels in time.
I think I've heard that "I'm def down" once before
Serously though, this is a really fun ride - what's the status on your wheel situation?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Contributors

BTW I don't have a date set for this at all, and I'm totally open to suggestions, so if anyone wants to just start throwing possible dates, the only thing I have to ask is that whatever date you pick, pick a Saturday - this cannot be done on any other day.

I just re-calculated the route and it is 115 miles and google maps is estimating three and a half hours en route - this is NOT counting the time to get to the start of the route (about hour and a half from NYC), any stops, emergencies, waiting for people to catch up, flat tires, lunch breaks and so on. Also, since 115 miles one way is a pretty long run, I doubt we will go there and back the same way. For those of us who live East of the Hudson River, I have a pretty exciting route to get back as well - I ran that way on the way back from the Bear Mtn meet and it was very exciting
Old 06-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='905122' date='Jun 9 2009, 03:24 AM
BTW I don't have a date set for this at all, and I'm totally open to suggestions, so if anyone wants to just start throwing possible dates, the only thing I have to ask is that whatever date you pick, pick a Saturday - this cannot be done on any other day.

I just re-calculated the route and it is 115 miles and google maps is estimating three and a half hours en route - this is NOT counting the time to get to the start of the route (about hour and a half from NYC), any stops, emergencies, waiting for people to catch up, flat tires, lunch breaks and so on. Also, since 115 miles one way is a pretty long run, I doubt we will go there and back the same way. For those of us who live East of the Hudson River, I have a pretty exciting route to get back as well - I ran that way on the way back from the Bear Mtn meet and it was very exciting
I'm interested. A route of that length is an all-day affair but I have an idea where you are talking about and it should be terrific.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I'm down for this. Im only an hour north of there.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

I am driving up to Watkins Glens this weekend for a classic race car event, by coincidence. A friend is running his '57 Aston there. It would be fun to have a "running mate" or two come along. Watkins Glen is 255 miles up near Ithaca. The day after the event, on Monday, the BMWCCA, Patroon Chapter, has an event at the track. That should be an interesting scene as well.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='905025' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:11 AM
I'll be doing some recon for a possible meet in the area in the coming weekends and just wanna know who's up for a nice mountain serpantine roadtrip.

So far, I've been reading reports that the asphalt on the route that I'm planning taking is excellent, so big rims and low suspensions friendly, but as I said, I'll be doing recon, so I'll also try to map the areas with big bumps (if any) and so on...

PM me with specific questions, but for now - and I don't really have any particular date set - let me know if this is something you might do...

This is a teaser pic of the actual road we'd be taking:

Attachment 81517
Is that the Hawk's Nest in Port Jervis? http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/3978463/
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Hawk.doc (279.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by 1600' post='905282' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:19 AM
I am driving up to Watkins Glens this weekend for a classic race car event, by coincidence. A friend is running his '57 Aston there. It would be fun to have a "running mate" or two come along. Watkins Glen is 255 miles up near Ithaca. The day after the event, on Monday, the BMWCCA, Patroon Chapter, has an event at the track. That should be an interesting scene as well.
Wow that sounds like fun Lee. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Feeler: Meet/drive UPSTATE NY (About 1.5hrs from NYC)