Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

***2010 Spring Tri-State Area E60 Meet, Drive & Eat***

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by dentity
My wife and I will get a hotel on the way back...Thats what we usually do for the driving schools as well.
Sounds like a good idea. I'd get one in the Allentown, Pa area.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Sounds like a good idea. I'd get one in the Allentown, Pa area.
You ought to all plan a 1 night stay. Go up the night before, relax, hang out, down a few, and get a good night's sleep for the roads ahead. Then you can hit the roads in the morning before any traffic gets on them. You also have time to explore the area, stop for photos, etc and find a good place for lunch. Then its an easy drive home. That works well for our groups in the NC mountains but we plan for several days.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JOHN
I'll definitely be at the next meet. I didn't get home from work until 5:30am and I woke up to my iPhone alarm beeping on hour 2.5. Next time though I can't wait. Was it as good as the exoticsrally route?

John, I actually spent today driving the Exoticsrally.com Turkey Trot Route with Victor. The routes are very different. The Bear Mountain meet is about twisties going up and down mountains. That kind is my fav as I love the change in elevation and the added element of difficulty, danger and excitement that that puts into twisties driving.

The highlighted road on the ER route is Route 55A which is deep within the Catskill park area. That road runs alongside a river so there is no going up and down mountains. It does have a lot of curves but not hairpins and it has lots of little rises and falls. And it is much much more isolated in an ultra rural area than the Bear Mountain roads. But as isolated as Rt. 55A is, I saw 3 cop cars on it. A great road but, to me, not quite as enjoyable as twisties that go up and down mountains. But I would definitely run it again and next time faster now that I know the road.

To me, Pa SR 125 is far far far superior to either of these roads. Much better twisties including a lot of 180 degree mountain hairpins with steep ascents/descents, wildly rolling hills where you can get air and very very little people or LE presence.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Just wanna say, it was GREAT times! Thanks to Calton! Thanks to Scott! Ralph, Gregg, you guys did your parts Everyone was safe, albeit with a few snags - one fell asleep, 6 got ticketed, I taught a 328Xi how to fly - but what's a good meet without a snag?! And the one "snag" I'm really happy nobody ended up hitting was that orange truck in the middle of the blind corner.

Great times, everyone! Thanks to all the organizers and participants!

We've got the SR-125 drive coming up and there was talk about a BBQ meet too. Also, I've been thinking about a photoshoot/eat/drive meet in Hawk's Nest. I've finally finished mapping that route and its a pretty cool drive through the country - but long. Anyway, this all will get covered in other threads.

Best,

Vlad
Old 06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

when will this meet be coming up? Any info?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

John, I actually spent today driving the Exoticsrally.com Turkey Trot Route with Victor. The routes are very different.
Where did you get the ER TR route card from? It wasn't published...
Old 06-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by JOHN
I'll definitely be at the next meet. I didn't get home from work until 5:30am and I woke up to my iPhone alarm beeping on hour 2.5. Next time though I can't wait. Was it as good as the exoticsrally route?
It was different. I liked both, but then again, it's not often that you get the chance to do runs against Lambo's, Ferrari's, Maserati's and P-Turbo's. You don't get that on our Bear Mtn run.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Where did you get the ER TR route card from? It wasn't published...
I don't reveal my sources...come with my job description. It was a good route but the primier road, Rt 55A, is a trip but does not hold a candle to Pa SR 125.

It was different. I liked both, but then again, it's not often that you get the chance to do runs against Lambo's, Ferrari's, Maserati's and P-Turbo's. You don't get that on our Bear Mtn run.
Very very true. I didn't go to the Turkey Trot last fall but it was fun to run with the exotics on the Spring Sprint. Good people.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 AM
Contributors

I don't reveal my sources...come with my job description. It was a good route but the primier road, Rt 55A, is a trip but does not hold a candle to Pa SR 125.
Trivia time - Name 2 of the roads we took to and around Kingston? How many legs were there? And what was the longest leg (how many miles)?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Trivia time - Name 2 of the roads we took to and around Kingston? How many legs were there? And what was the longest leg (how many miles)?
Don't remember off the top of my head because the route cards (and there are 2 of them) are in my car. But I can tell you that the Citgo with the gravel parking lot where route card number 2 began; just a few miles off of Rt 17 is now a Valero.

Quick Reply: ***2010 Spring Tri-State Area E60 Meet, Drive & Eat***