Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Y'all Be Careful Out There, Ya Heah?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:24 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While driving on four lane Central Expressway out of downtown Dallas this morning, I was following a new pickup with a ladder in the back at 75 mph. I moved over one more lane to exit at the next, when the ladder stood up and flew out. I had room and immediately moved right to let it by -- reflex, not knowing what it would do. It stood on end, flopped down flat, and skidded alongside as I passed it.

In that scenario, if I had not changed lanes, I believe I would have been able to brake enough to wait for the ladder to lay down and straddle it. But, if it had cartwheeled, it could have done some real damage even while I was in the right lane. It was an aluminum ladder so the light weight helped. I think the draft from the pickup helped it lay down.

It was a good reminder as to how fast things can happen in four lanes of traffic moving at 75 mph which is not that unusual. I thought it might serve as a cautionay reminder for all who expose their pride and joy to the hazards of mulitlane traffic every day.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

JDN, good to hear you're OK.
That is the exact reason why I've been in the drivers training for the second time allready!
You can't practice emergency situations enough. Sometimes you do react perfect as a reflex, but practice helps and is LOTS OF FUN !
Old 08-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Contributors

How's the ladder?

Old 08-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

WHen i took traffic school.. the Highway Patrolman told us that the #1 object found on California Freeways are ladders, not tires, not hubcaps, not clothes.... but Ladders..haha.. odd huh? u'd think someone would notice the loud crash as their ladder fell onto the freeway..................................... or at least realize later and call it in or something.... imagine the damage that could be done if someone was to hit it at freeway speeds at night w/o ever seeing it....!!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I had to extra drivers trainings and a friend of mine races on Zandvoort and I occasionaly go on there with him for a few rounds. I am sure the things I've learned from him combined with the two trainings have saved my life in my accident. The truckdriver that saw everything told me afterwards that he was suprised how well I was holding the car in that situation and if I wouldn't have hit the truck in the emergencylane I would have made it.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

i had a similar situation last month. i was driving the most left lane (closest to the median) during rush hour in eastbound. and all of a sudden i saw a "black thing" bouncing from the most right westbound lane. i was thinking, "i ain't in australia. what the hell is a kangaroo doing here?" that "thing" was bouncing and rolling from the most right westbound lane to the middle to the most left lane...and did i mention the speed...i think it's about 50 mph ! it's a tire felt off from a older 3-series being tow by a tow truck. obviously the truck driver didn't have a clue about the wheel is "out to lunch" . anyway, the tire kept rolling and it jumped over the median...and yes, it was heading to my direction ! and yes, it was rush hour and i couldn't move to another lane. but luckily i managed to move the car away from it a bit and it didn't hit me but it was extremely close...about an inch off . i know it did hit some car in the back of me but i couldn't see it because there was a big van behind me blocking my view . anyway, lucky me and unlucky for the 3-series' owner :'(.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Ok, you have been fined 50 bucks by the smiley police..

<_<
Old 08-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

Ok, you have been fined 50 bucks by the smiley police..
ouch :'(!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Contributors

Old 08-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Y'all Be Careful Out There, Ya Heah?