Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

A world made of glass!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Hell, I remember when just 10-15 years ago there was an electronics store I visit (a bit like best buy for the range of stock but a bit more upmarket) here in Germany and a 40" plasma back then was about $30k, never mind $15k. Like you said, now a 40" can be had for about $500. It had to be only the [stupid] millionaires buying them back then.

You let me know where all those stupid millionaires hang out - I've got a great business for them

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I would like to see the proof of this. NOTHING in the video is available right now. There are things that are similar that are being worked on, such as surface computer and interfacing with cellular device, otherwise, everything else is not.

I am hoping you can prove me wrong, but I doubt it.
Not exactly "wrong", but, Simon, there's plenty of technology that is available now, that could be made to work the way it was in that video. But yeah, I don't think any of these things are actually "available now" at your local Best Buy/Apple store. That stuff is pretty cool - I especially love how data is totally shared between all the devices. Although, when I just wake up, I really DON'T WANT to be answering any texts while brushing teeth. Some things are just best left never invented, I guess.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Contributors

So I had some time on my hands (like 10 minutes, at most, really), and I've put together five links of products that were announced on engadget.com over the last three pages. Each of these five products, at least IMHO, is something that either does, or could enable most of the technology in that OP vid:

Deep Shot transfers current state of a site you're browsing on a desktop to a mobile device

-----------------------------------

Apple has a patent to integrate location-based social networking

India came out with a tablet computer that sells for $35 (name is priceless, btw)

Kinect is coming out for Windows

An attachment enables multi-touch on any displays

This is just ten minutes of browsing one blog, so I'm sure there are plenty of posts out there that can prove just about all of the tech in the OP vid is doable right now.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, location based social networking.

That used to be called "talking to people"
Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by craigm1841
haha, location based social networking.

That used to be called "talking to people"
^ lmao
Old 06-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by v_therussian
So I had some time on my hands (like 10 minutes, at most, really), and I've put together five links of products that were announced on engadget.com over the last three pages. Each of these five products, at least IMHO, is something that either does, or could enable most of the technology in that OP vid:

Deep Shot transfers current state of a site you're browsing on a desktop to a mobile device

Apple has a patent to integrate location-based social networking

India came out with a tablet computer that sells for $35 (name is priceless, btw)

Kinect is coming out for Windows

An attachment enables multi-touch on any displays

This is just ten minutes of browsing one blog, so I'm sure there are plenty of posts out there that can prove just about all of the tech in the OP vid is doable right now.
Derr, V, I don't think that it's any way comparable at all. If anything, these would be really ancient ancestors of what the video depicted.

Take the first video for an example. It requires quite a bit of user input to allow transitioning from one device to another. I think that a big part of the wow factor in the video is how the objects and technology are seamlessly integrated with each other. We are pretty far from that.

As for location aware devices, those has been around for awhile. Japan and Korea has been using it for quite some time, and Nintendo actually has that on their 3DS (or something, don't follow handhelds). It's "alright" right now, I don't particularly see it being useful for what it can do at this point, but we'll see.

Lastly, Kinect. I like Kinect and the technology behind it. But there is still some ways to go, though a lot of the problems it has right now can be easily solved by higher res cam or more camera sensors, and more/faster processor.

Again, we are nowhere near what the video depicted. If I have to compare, I would say today we have horse carriages compared to the modern cars in the video.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by craigm1841
this is more like the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0sCCJFkEbE&feature=player_embedded

I would like to see the proof of this. NOTHING in the video is available right now. There are things that are similar that are being worked on, such as surface computer and interfacing with cellular device, otherwise, everything else is not.

I am hoping you can prove me wrong, but I doubt it.
It may or may not be all available to consumers now, but it sure is in the works. Go to http://www.corning.com
Old 06-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Derr, V, I don't think that it's any way comparable at all. If anything, these would be really ancient ancestors of what the video depicted.

Take the first video for an example. It requires quite a bit of user input to allow transitioning from one device to another. I think that a big part of the wow factor in the video is how the objects and technology are seamlessly integrated with each other. We are pretty far from that.

As for location aware devices, those has been around for awhile. Japan and Korea has been using it for quite some time, and Nintendo actually has that on their 3DS (or something, don't follow handhelds). It's "alright" right now, I don't particularly see it being useful for what it can do at this point, but we'll see.

Lastly, Kinect. I like Kinect and the technology behind it. But there is still some ways to go, though a lot of the problems it has right now can be easily solved by higher res cam or more camera sensors, and more/faster processor.

Again, we are nowhere near what the video depicted. If I have to compare, I would say today we have horse carriages compared to the modern cars in the video.
"dear V"? Whoa, buddy, let's take it easy over here

You aren't wrong. I agree that stuff doesn't work as elegantly in real life, and most of it is still a generation or two of devices away. But you can't deny that technology exists - or at least, is in stages of development, where its almost tangible, today. There's more to it too, because you can see evidence of some companies, like Apple, intentionally slowing down the evolution of their devices (iPad 2, iPad 3 - why not bring out the 3, if its almost ready? Because they can make some extra money selling the 2's), or even compromising functionality ("death grip" of iPhone 4 - easily fixed in pre-production, why let it out unattended?). That makes the devices in the commercial more distant yet. Finally, I'm not too sure we need all the devices depicted in that ad - I'd be okay with about 15% of that technology.

But again, we could go on and on about this crap, can't we?