Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1019185' date='Sep 28 2009, 12:22 PM
Bought 2 X-25M G2 160GB SSDs. One for the Macbook Pro and one for the Mac Pro.
Can't wait.

Yeah, those are the best!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1018771' date='Sep 27 2009, 07:25 PM
Apple was the major force behind FireWire! They developed the technology in the first place!

I agree they are very slow on BluRay (but that is coming), but here they are making a very smart move in getting Intel behind LightPeak. Apple alone isn't necessarily going to force the adoption of the technology, but Intel is of course able to do so through its chipsets.
A direct quote from Steve Jobs: "Blu-Ray is a bag of hurt."

Due to its complex licensing issues, I doubt Blu-Ray will ever come standard on a Mac.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1019785' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:33 PM

Due to its complex licensing issues, I doubt Blu-Ray will ever come standard on a Mac.
Well, Jobs says a lot of things that suit at the time, but are later found to be him being a little economical with the truth as he hedged his position knowing what was in development back at the lab. Apple has indeed maintained that licensing issues are at the heart of the BluRay issue, but it's a problem that would be no less challenging for other hardware manufacturers - and they seem to have been able to overcome the problem. There's refreshed iMac is about to be released, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if BluRay was indeed standard on the new model. Time will tell!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='1019102' date='Sep 28 2009, 05:20 PM
Apropos this discussion, Apple gave us possibly the worst security hole in the entire IT industry when it bestowed the miracle of Firewire on us (insert sarcasm here). This vulnerability persists today and is at such a deep hardware level, it affects -all- OSes and can even bypass Full Disk Encryption.
Yes UUronL i can't argue with you on that, but show me a single mass problem of the correlated issues.

People have been using USB and Firewire alongside for years and i never heard or personally experienced any problems with one or the other.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1019804' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:46 PM
Well, Jobs says a lot of things that suit at the time, but are later found to be him being a little economical with the truth as he hedged his position knowing what was in development back at the lab. Apple has indeed maintained that licensing issues are at the heart of the BluRay issue, but it's a problem that would be no less challenging for other hardware manufacturers - and they seem to have been able to overcome the problem. There's refreshed iMac is about to be released, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if BluRay was indeed standard on the new model. Time will tell!
+1, I too am anxiously anticipating the release of the new hardware perhaps as early as next month, notes have it that snow leopard has support for bluray, and the latest version of toast also supports writing discs from what I've read. The license issue is bs now, you can buy commercial BR players for under $300 now, so there is no hidden costs that make it prohibitive. Let's hope they finally release it, and let the games begin!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='1020043' date='Sep 29 2009, 07:03 AM
Yes UUronL i can't argue with you on that, but show me a single mass problem of the correlated issues.

The mass problem as you say -is that the vulnerability exists-.

The nature of this is not like a worm or a trojan where you might see thousands of people spontaneously affected... but that doesn't lessen the danger. Laptops are lost and stolen in staggering numbers. In US airports alone, the number of lost laptops is more than 630,000 per year. The numbers on a whole are simply staggering, with each lost or stolen laptop representing potentially mis-handled sensitive information.

The threat from Firewire is:

-If someone can gain physical access to your machine, they can use the Firewire port to hack into it - even if the disk is encrypted with the majority of FDE and file/folder solutions.

Heck, someone in a cleaning crew could perform this hack on a server that isn't in a data closet or cage at night when all the employees are gone.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1019785' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:33 PM

Translation:

Sony wouldn't let Apple bend them over and license it on the cheap.

I'm glad Sony held firm - they paid a lot of money to develop and then market their format effectively. It wasn't cheap to win the format war, and licensees need to pay their share for innovation - Apple of all companies should damn well know and respect that.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by m630' post='1020051' date='Sep 29 2009, 04:21 AM
+1, I too am anxiously anticipating the release of the new hardware perhaps as early as next month, notes have it that snow leopard has support for bluray, and the latest version of toast also supports writing discs from what I've read. The license issue is bs now, you can buy commercial BR players for under $300 now, so there is no hidden costs that make it prohibitive. Let's hope they finally release it, and let the games begin!
OS X plays Blu-Rays beautifully. with 3rd party software and hardware of course.
Yes, Toast Titanium does write to Blu-ray.
Final Cut Studio now exports to Blu-Ray format as well.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Don't forget the second, and often overlooked, part of Jobs' "bag of hurt" statement - ?we?re waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace.? People quote the former but forget the latter. I think it's fair to say things have settled down and BluRay has indeed taken off.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1020082' date='Sep 29 2009, 08:46 AM
Don't forget the second, and often overlooked, part of Jobs' "bag of hurt" statement - ?we?re waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace.? People quote the former but forget the latter. I think it's fair to say things have settled down and BluRay has indeed taken off.
Right - that thinking really makes me chuckle. The format war was declared "over" quite a while ago.

Also, let's not forget that bolstering physical media for content (HD or otherwise) is at odds with Apple's iTunes business model. You might even infer some anti-competitive intentions in Apple's delays to introduce BluRay. I can see not making it standard, but to not even sell it as an -OPTION-...?

Quick Reply: Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X