Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Why do you pose or fake???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbarossa' post='378715' date='Jan 16 2007, 04:40 AM
Yes, of course, tires and wheels add to the function of the car, but many people don't care about that nor will they actually "use" those upgrades (Going to the track anytime soon??? I didn't think so). Think about how much money car manufactures make off consumers and their four-wheel drive systems when tons of consumers rarely put a their vehicle in 4-wheel drive, if ever!!! People LIKE to say, "It's four-wheel drive." My reply, "Have you ever put it in 4-wheel drive or do you even know how?" My buddy owns a bright Yellow H2...ever been in 4-wheel drive...nope. Does he care if it does 0-60 in 5 five minutes...nope. What's it about? The look, nothing more nothing less. I would say most people care more about the "looks" than the function of the wheels. Why pay for expensive authentic wheels, when you could find replicas that LOOK exactly the same and serve the function that consumer is looking for!

My aunt and uncle have TONS of money...and they are the biggest tightwads i've ever met!!! Why? I have no idea, but they are the type of people that not only would buy replicas, but the cheapest ones possible!! I can't even tell you how often they swtich phone companies to get a "better" deal!!!
You have a point there although i don't find it the same with the fake rims for example. Or even more with the adding of M5 badges on a non-m model. Of course the owner does it for show off only, but that means either that he/she takes everyone for idiots or he is uncouncoius about what he's doing. That's about all there is i guess...
Some indeed may be too cheezy when having to spend 2-3 more k on an orginal but i doubt that on an E60 since the car as ATS said it's not a cheap one to start with.

Later edit: I really would like to see the comments to this thread from posers or fakes from this board.
PS: Good job for this thread ATS. Hope this helps some turn to the right path
Old 01-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

people mod there cars for mostly the same reason.. they want to change the way it looks.... but we are not all can spend 6000$ on wheels and some other dont want to... when it comes down to it.. both types of people do this for the same reason... i have bought a replica ACS front lip and roof spoiler.. and i can tell you this would be the last time i buy replicas... some replicas are exactly similar to the original product which means only saving money, and perhaps having no warranty on a part that doesnt need a warranty...
my first replica was the front lip.. the cut out was uneven and some shop had difficulty painting it.. so they wanted to rush it and they installed in a hurry the result...well it was totaly unacceptable.. told the garage i would comeback tommorow and help with the install... and after alot of grinding..it fit to satisfactory/poor standard.. its the only one in the country and while most poeple say it looks good there are a few who notice that its not properly fit... ok.. bad ending... but its ok all change it later to m-kit so just temp.... next replica roof spoiler, i decided to go with a high end paint shop this time.. his paint jo was excellent far supperior to the first time out... but now another fit problem he told me its not properly ballanced and the double sided tabe out stick properly to windows and it would probably fall out.. he wanted to glue it(silicon).. i was fine with that because it was nice and his job was so good it looked the way it should but i didnt install it because i couldnt leave the car for a few days...

- people buy the best for the money... the people with m-kits agree its the cheapest.. and cetianly a good look, same quality to Hamman, but at a cheaper price...

if it was me, i would in no way buy 6000$ rims.. im sorry but id rathher sell the car.. or even worse go with replicas..
Old 01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I do it because I look so good in a sun dress with my beard, mustache, and hairy legs, arms, and chest.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I found those Hamann, ACS, Hartge etc..... charges a ridiculously high price.

Maybe that drive some people into buying replica. It got the looks, 90% of the time people that see it wouldn't spot the difference. It does have it upside, but I cannot talk myself into getting replica stuff as my philosophy is if you can't afford it, don't use it.

So is all OEM parts on my car and I am happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails Why do you pose or fake???-dsc00313.jpg  
Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I bought replica Breyton wheels for one reason...why pay such a high price for such a wear and tear item like wheels. I for one drive like like a mad man. I would really regret bending/damaging $1000 original wheels. I received a great deal from a member here (Herb) ....1 Breyton wheel would pretty much equal my entire set of (4) wheels.