Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Why BMW cannot get it right the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this statement on the window sticker of every BMW....
Old 09-26-2005, 05:29 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by 555' date='Sep 27 2005, 07:02 AM
I agree with part of it.? I do think the Japanese and others seem to have much higher Quality Control systems in place.? I just think it's practical to have most of the bugs ironed out before going to market.? BMW seems to not care and release things anyway.? Then just have you wait before a fix is in place.? Either that or their beta testing programs are just awful.

I just think that if BMW is going to "release anyway", then they should be quicker with delivering fixes.

Ask yourself...? Would you run your own business that way??
[snapback]175378[/snapback]
that is what the the japanese said (he ran a big Japanese car mfg plant before) when he was transferred to put Porsche in Stuggart in placed.

A premium german car plant has to be helped by a Japanese to overcome quality porblems.

Both technology has its pros and cons.

Honestly, i enjoyed both technologies. there is why i have both japs and german cars.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 26 2005, 06:32 PM
Well, the Japs only get it right, because they wait until we have solved the problems, and then they copy the system. They are never at the same level, allways behind.
If they would make the invention and BMW waits two years to bring the feature out, the problems would've been solved in Japan by this time and they would have had the trouble in JP...?
[snapback]175362[/snapback]
Sorry, but I need to disagree here. One example would be hybrids. Another lean NOX aftertreatment. The Japanese (I do research with Toyota, but I do not work for them) are just very detail oriented. I think the copy/paste times are over. But still, their cars are just not as much fun to drive as ours!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Members

Hi,

Believe it or not, GM was the first to experiment with VVT, but failed to get it right.
The first fully functioanl VVT system was developed by Fiat in the 70's, by using hydraulic pressure.
Both Ferrari and Honday were the first to experiment with VVL in the 80'/90'.

DZ
Old 09-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

Japanese cars work very well. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Sorry. Fell asleep for a minute thinking about Japanese cars.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Sep 26 2005, 04:24 PM
why BMW (and other German automakers like M cannot seem to the get the electronic gizmos and bugs out of the system before the car hits the market.?
The answer is simple:

Japan has tons of experience in the electronics industry and is good at producing electronics for the mass consumption. They've got Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, etc who make everyday household electronics. Things like basic TVs, stereos, microwaves, etc. These are products for the masses and reliability is key to success. When you buy a Sony TV, you just KNOW its gonna work.

They apply this experience to cars, and voila!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Well as for Japanese just copying and being one to two years behind... I cant say thats for sure... there are quite a few things that are on Japanese cars (electronics wise) thats not in the E60 and was not developed by the Germans first... at least I dont think...

BUT what makes japanese electronics better is their people willing to spend the money on the technology. Everyone there is all very high tech and are willing to spend the money to get the latest and greatest... But where as the rest of the world... especially in the US we're a lot more hesitant on new expensive stuff and arnt willing to spend the money on it till its either been perfected or have dropped down in price.

Thats of course not speaking for everyone... but a majority of the folks in the US.

Majority of the folks in Japan are willing to spend money on new technology so Japanese companies are not hesitant to spend the money on developing it since they usually make that moeny back.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by jet190rs' date='Sep 26 2005, 09:35 PM
[quote name='ipse dixit' date='Sep 26 2005, 04:24 PM']why BMW (and other German automakers like M cannot seem to the get the electronic gizmos and bugs out of the system before the car hits the market.?
The answer is simple:

Japan has tons of experience in the electronics industry and is good at producing electronics for the mass consumption. They've got Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, etc who make everyday household electronics. Things like basic TVs, stereos, microwaves, etc. These are products for the masses and reliability is key to success. When you buy a Sony TV, you just KNOW its gonna work.

They apply this experience to cars, and voila!
[snapback]175549[/snapback]
[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better myself! I admit, I'm a bit on edge about my first BMW purchase due to all the glitches people keep experiencing. I've driven nothing but Honda/Acura since 1990 and I still wouldn't stray from them because all of them have been trouble-free, even after 260,000 miles ... but hey, a BMW is a BMW! There aren't any V8 RWD Honda products out there for the masses. Plus I've always dreamed of owning a 5. But my garage will always have a Honda product parked right next to the 5... just in case.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Roleez' date='Sep 26 2005, 09:46 PM
But my garage will always have a Honda product parked right next to the 5... just in case.
[snapback]175554[/snapback]

No Toyota?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Sep 26 2005, 09:47 PM
[quote name='Roleez' date='Sep 26 2005, 09:46 PM']But my garage will always have a Honda product parked right next to the 5... just in case.
[snapback]175554[/snapback]

No Toyota?
[snapback]175555[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I have the highest respect for Toyota ... after all, it's the largest Japanese automaker. Great reliable cars, but none of them stir my soul like a Honda/Acura. I'm sure that sentiment will change once my 550i arrives!

Quick Reply: Why BMW cannot get it right the first time?