Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Why Apple rocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames' post='955940' date='Jul 27 2009, 07:33 PM
Threadjack! This thread is meant to be about the awesomeness of Apple! Not cool upgrades from Microsoft

this was the worst thread jack of all.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Contributors

I don't think their customer service is so great. A few months ago I bought a Macbook Pro and less than a month later they had a price drop. On top of that, if you bought it as a student you would receive a free itouch and printer. I called apple to see if they would credit me the difference and or send me the free itouch and printer. They told me since it was past their 14 day return policy they couldn't do anything for me. I do understand they have a return policy but come on, it was less than 30 days. Most places have a 30 day price match guarantee. Hell, I bought an over the range microwave from Home Depot, 3 weeks later I told found the same model at Menards for $90 bucks cheaper. They gave the difference plus 10% without verifying the Menards price. That's good customer service.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='955902' date='Jul 28 2009, 02:05 AM
I still fail to see how Google's entrance into the thin OS market changes the game. There are current players and solutions in that space that do the exact same thing. I have Splashtop installed on my netbook, which is rebranded by Lenovo as "Quickstart". You choose whether to boot into Splashtop or your "real" OS.

http://www.splashtop.com/
Here's the article i promised:
A Google OS is ?something Microsoft has been worried about for a long time,? said Matt Rosoff, analyst with Directions on Microsoft. He called it ?the first significant threat to Windows in a very long time,? although he said the threat may not become fully evident for another 10 years.
Source: http://www.macworld.com/article/141623/200...l?lsrc=rss_main
Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bigwill222' post='955995' date='Jul 28 2009, 03:41 AM
I don't think their customer service is so great. A few months ago I bought a Macbook Pro and less than a month later they had a price drop. On top of that, if you bought it as a student you would receive a free itouch and printer. I called apple to see if they would credit me the difference and or send me the free itouch and printer. They told me since it was past their 14 day return policy they couldn't do anything for me. I do understand they have a return policy but come on, it was less than 30 days. Most places have a 30 day price match guarantee. Hell, I bought an over the range microwave from Home Depot, 3 weeks later I told found the same model at Menards for $90 bucks cheaper. They gave the difference plus 10% without verifying the Menards price. That's good customer service.
I fail to see in your statement how Apple didn't properly care for it's clients. Moreover i'd say that the price drop has nothing to do with customer care, not directly anyway. Indirectly while you were upset that you didn't catch the price drop, many more potential customers enjoyed it when they jumped in.

My sole question is why didn't you ask for the student program when you bought the product and not after you bought it? That's hardly Apple's fault.

About the return policy, i cannot comment to much on it since we don't get here that, or at least i don't know that. Anyway you have to understand that Apple is considered a premium brand in terms of computers, and like premium brands you have to understand you are lucky to even have a return policy, be it even for 14 days (THAT"S TWO WEEKS---i don't know how anyone can't figure out if the product they bought is right for them in that time period!?).
Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Can anyone explain to me why almost every shipped (Windows) PC comes with 64-bit processor and many of them with 4 GB of RAM BUT still runs 32-bit Windows which can neither take full advantage of the CPU or the RAM. Looking at it like that, Apple is very good value for the money!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ipp' post='956526' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:38 PM
Can anyone explain to me why almost every shipped (Windows) PC comes with 64-bit processor and many of them with 4 GB of RAM BUT still runs 32-bit Windows which can neither take full advantage of the CPU or the RAM. Looking at it like that, Apple is very good value for the money!
Well the thing is not only the OS has to be 64 bit, in order to properly address the memory, but the apps/games also have to be made or support 64 bit. If you noticed in a 64 bit PC with Windows very very few apps are installed in the "64 bit" Program files. Most of them are 32 bit and hence there would be little to no difference in an OS being 64 or 32 bit.

With Leopard 10.5 Apple has implemented 64 bit support and with Snow Leopard 10.6 64 bit will become natively. I always like that about Apple, not being forced to choose between a 32 bit OS and 64 bit like one has to with Windows. I also thought that with Windows 7 things will change, however real change isn't smth Microsoft is accustomed to. Windows 7 is still offered in both 32 bit and 64 bit variants and hence all the problems with 64 bit and 32 bit drivers. With Apple i almost literally forgot what driver means and this is another reason why Apple rocks.

With Apple i almost literally forgot what defragmentation means, and this is another reason why Apple rocks.

With Apple i almost literally forgot what antivirus is needed for, and this is another reason why Apple rocks.

...and i can go on for much more but then i may be accused of being a "fan-boy" and/or "all knowing".
Old 07-28-2009, 04:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='956511' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:10 AM

No... I've read all the hype. I'm just saying I just don't see it/agree with it.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='956552' date='Jul 28 2009, 06:54 AM
Well the thing is not only the OS has to be 64 bit, in order to properly address the memory, but the apps/games also have to be made or support 64 bit. If you noticed in a 64 bit PC with Windows very very few apps are installed in the "64 bit" Program files. Most of them are 32 bit and hence there would be little to no difference in an OS being 64 or 32 bit.

With Leopard 10.5 Apple has implemented 64 bit support and with Snow Leopard 10.6 64 bit will become natively. I always like that about Apple, not being forced to choose between a 32 bit OS and 64 bit like one has to with Windows. I also thought that with Windows 7 things will change, however real change isn't smth Microsoft is accustomed to. Windows 7 is still offered in both 32 bit and 64 bit variants and hence all the problems with 64 bit and 32 bit drivers. With Apple i almost literally forgot what driver means and this is another reason why Apple rocks.

With Apple i almost literally forgot what defragmentation means, and this is another reason why Apple rocks.

With Apple i almost literally forgot what antivirus is needed for, and this is another reason why Apple rocks.
64 bit apps are a problem everyone has right now. If you play in Apple's little sandbox you can no doubt have a bit better support. IE has a 64 bit version, and most of the Adobe apps are 64 bit for Windows right now.

As for drivers, that's certainly one way to look at it. Apple doesn't have driver issues because they're super-restrictive (you use their hardware or nothing at all). That's yet another way to look at it.

Even Apple recommends using AV/AS software now. Neglect the recommendation at your own risk.

Defrag? Really? We're there? Get a SSD (get with the current century) and you won't have that issue with any OS. Oh, but you'll want TRIM support in the OS... who has that? Windows 7 has that.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipp' post='956526' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:38 AM
64 bit support (mainly drivers) has been an issue in the past. XP 64 bit was a mess, and Vista 64 bit improved upon that but still had its issues. Windows 7 is poised to be the OS that finally gives 64 bit to the mainstream user. I have been using it and it's vastly improved. There have been several technology articles written on the subject.

One thing to note, 64 bit Windows (of any kind) is more secure, since there are far fewer exploits coded for it - kind of like how OS X is more secure because fewer exploits are coded for it.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='956580' date='Jul 28 2009, 03:21 PM
No... I've read all the hype. I'm just saying I just don't see it/agree with it.
it's ok, i'm a tad skeptical also about the influence of Google OS (IF they ever bring it out). Time will tell though...

But i still think MS should have started from scratch even before the Vista launch.

Quick Reply: Why Apple rocks