Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Why Apple rocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009 | 05:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='955378' date='Jul 27 2009, 07:45 AM
Although, we wont see any real support for it till October 22nd.
Sorry man, but you are spreading some bad information. There's -tons- of real support RIGHT NOW. This isn't the days of old. Vendors have had real Windows 7 drivers for months. I have been running it for months and it's perfect - as is support for it. There isn't a single thing missing, and I run a ton of odd peripherals and devices. Please don't spread bad info based on the old days.
Old 07-27-2009 | 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='955400' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:01 AM
Sorry man, but you are spreading some bad information. There's -tons- of real support RIGHT NOW. This isn't the days of old. Vendors have had real Windows 7 drivers for months. I have been running it for months and it's perfect - as is support for it. There isn't a single thing missing, and I run a ton of odd peripherals and devices. Please don't spread bad info based on the old days.
I have to say having used and seen the Windows 7 beta it does indeed look like a very significant upgrade and it is probably the OS that Vista promised to be but fell short. Mind you, Apple has Snow Leopard due for release shortly and that moves the game forward too. OS 10.6 offers very robust support for multi-core processors and with Open CL etc the machine will be able to take advantage of the incredibly fast processors in the GPU to perform regular computing tasks.
Old 07-27-2009 | 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Apple should finally get the best SSD drives as an option soon... The new Intel "gen 2" SSDs don't have any halogen in them, which is why green companies like Apple wouldn't touch them previously.

The new ones are incredible, and cheaper also.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3607
Old 07-27-2009 | 07:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='955457' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:36 AM
I have to say having used and seen the Windows 7 beta it does indeed look like a very significant upgrade and it is probably the OS that Vista promised to be but fell short. Mind you, Apple has Snow Leopard due for release shortly and that moves the game forward too. OS 10.6 offers very robust support for multi-core processors and with Open CL etc the machine will be able to take advantage of the incredibly fast processors in the GPU to perform regular computing tasks.

Yeah, we'll see - that's all stuff Windows can do already, but Snow Leopard should be a nice improvement for Mac users.

I wasn't saying we'd have apples to compare to apples (no pun intended). All I was saying was that Apple has been enjoying the comforts afforded by an adversary with non-competitive products (at least non-competitive where Apple finds success in the marketplace). XP is ancient and lacks features, Vista has a bad reputation and is a bit clunky.

The battlefield is changing.
Old 07-27-2009 | 08:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='955145
Love Apple's products and service which is why I own the stock as well.
+1!!!
Old 07-27-2009 | 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='955478' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah, we'll see - that's all stuff Windows can do already, but Snow Leopard should be a nice improvement for Mac users.

I wasn't saying we'd have apples to compare to apples (no pun intended). All I was saying was that Apple has been enjoying the comforts afforded by an adversary with non-competitive products (at least non-competitive where Apple finds success in the marketplace). XP is ancient and lacks features, Vista has a bad reputation and is a bit clunky.

Yeah and mouths say that with the rumors of the future Google OS, Microsoft would have to completely rethink and rewrite Windows. Now why this didn't happen already for MS is beyond my understanding but i assume they would simply not be Microsoft if that was the case.

Will post source tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2009 | 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='955378' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:45 PM
@BetterMakeWay: I'll get to you later. I have to shower. Keep working on the fan-boy speech tho <3 <3 <3
You'd better bring arguments to discussion. I brought mine. That's what separates a mature and intelligent discussion from one based on expressions like "Fan-boy", which btw i don't even understand if that was supposed to affect me in any way.

From wikpedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_(pe...nboy.2Ffangirl
The term (fanboy) is usually used by and applied to people in their teens or 20s; an age group which is typically found pursuing geeky hobbies obsessively.
Now i know which people use the term and which people are targeted by the term and hence here goes away the "mature and intelligent discussion" i was talking about earlier.
Old 07-27-2009 | 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='955478' date='Jul 27 2009, 08:00 AM

Just a couple of things - Mac OS X already supports and leverages multi-core processors too, the new Grand Central technology just takes this to another level. With respect to offloading to the GPU, Open CL is an Apple developed technology which they made open source in partnership with the video card manaufacturers (Intel, AMD/ATI and NVidia are involved). I'd not seen much else out there other than technology demos using some NVidia cards that support CUDA which, like OpenCL, is still largely a new technology. I may have missed it but I didn't think that this was a mainstream component in the current versions of Windows?
Old 07-27-2009 | 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Eh, I work in IT so basically I just work with whatever is required. Both MS and Apple have their quirks, give me a CLI any day of the week and I'm a happy camper. Gotta love it when you can do all config in a text file, upload and done
Old 07-27-2009 | 11:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

Originally Posted by theXman' post='955156' date='Jul 26 2009, 11:52 PM
Love Apple's products and service which is why I own the stock as well.
I agree!!! I've been using apple producst since the 80's and have never had a problem with them thus far.. My office uses Vista and its always crashing so we are in the process of getting everyone a 20' Mac Intel which I have two of at home so we can run our mac programs and pc programs on the same machine..

Quick Reply: Why Apple rocks