Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Why Apple *doesn't* always rock...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaiten408' post='962281' date='Aug 1 2009, 08:15 PM
I say the hell with AT&T, I bought me a PRE

But seriously, I was reading about this earlier this week. I think Shadezero hit the nail on the head. At&t has bandwidth problems and instead of upping their network, they just postpone it and tell apple: No SMS, No VoIP, etc. etc.

I'm interested to see this "apple/verizon" notebook that people have been speculating.
I'm not used to someone actually reading my posts, lol (at least the tech ones).

Anyways, they did the same thing to the "slingbox" app. They forced them to Cripple the app so it would only run on Wi-Fi.

Originally Posted by AT&T
Slingbox, which would use large amounts of wireless network capacity, could create congestion and potentially prevent other customers from using the network. The application does not run on our 3G wireless network. Applications like this, which redirect a TV signal to a personal computer, are specifically prohibited under our terms of service. We consider smartphones like the iPhone to be personal computers in that they have the same hardware and software attributes as PCs.

That said, we don't restrict users from going to a Web site that lets them view videos. But what our terms and conditions prohibit is the transferring, or slinging, of a TV signal to their personal computer or smartphone.

The Slingbox application for the iPhone runs on WiFi. That's good news for AT&T's iPhone 3G customers, who get free WiFi access at our 20,000 owned and operated hot spots in the U.S., including Starbucks, McDonalds, Barnes & Noble, hotels, and airports. AT&T is the industry leader in WiFi.
As far as the Mini goes, there aren't many updates for it yet.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Senior Members

As long as Verizon is on CDMA I will not use them. It's old technology that can't even properly manage multiple calls not to mention has very little reach globally. As bad as ATT may be it's still better than the number three (also a CDMA carrier). For me that leaves either ATT or TMobile.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Contributors

sorry everyone. i have shared some knowledge before, but I shouldn't have. My apologies. forget i said anything. there are a few people here that have an idea of what i do and can understand why. From this point forward I will refrain from commenting on topics like this.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='962615' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:59 PM
As long as Verizon is on CDMA I will not use them. It's old technology that can't even properly manage multiple calls not to mention has very little reach globally. As bad as ATT may be it's still better than the number three (also a CDMA carrier). For me that leaves either ATT or TMobile.
CDMA will be replaced by LTE. AT&T is also expected to roll out a LTE network sometime 2011. An all new version iphone will run on 4g LTE networks on both providers. Well that is the speculation.

Verizon is reported to be racing to get 20-40 markets up and running on their 4G LTE network by Q1 2010 to coincide with an iPhone and iTablet launch.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Regarding Slingbox... I use it on my AT&T Motorola Q. We all know the arguments, but like the Google Voice app, you can run the Slingplayer mobile client on other platforms with AT&T.

I use the mobile web interface for Google Voice on my Q. It works fine, and it probably works as well or better with the iPhone. Not having the app isn't a barrier to the use of the service.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='963711' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:50 AM
Regarding Slingbox... I use it on my AT&T Motorola Q. We all know the arguments, but like the Google Voice app, you can run the Slingplayer mobile client on other platforms with AT&T.

I use the mobile web interface for Google Voice on my Q. It works fine, and it probably works as well or better with the iPhone. Not having the app isn't a barrier to the use of the service.
Both of those apps run fine on my AT&T BB Bold...at least for now...
Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='963720' date='Aug 3 2009, 05:59 AM
Both of those apps run fine on my AT&T BB Bold...at least for now...
Exactly - and that seems to be one of the reasons that the FCC is looking into this issue.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Well, Steven, there's a reason I would prefer the next gen Google phone to the iPhone - the open source nature of the Google phone allows for a real plethora of free apps and the ability to create your own. I would have one already except that the G1 is dang ugly and bulky, hence the reason I am considering the HTC Hero as my next phone:

http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/overview.html
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='963806' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:43 AM
Well, Steven, there's a reason I would prefer the next gen Google phone to the iPhone - the open source nature of the Google phone allows for a real plethora of free apps and the ability to create your own. I would have one already except that the G1 is dang ugly and bulky, hence the reason I am considering the HTC Hero as my next phone:

http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/overview.html
That does indeed look like a nice phone... Do you know if it's available yet?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='963806' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:43 AM
I had a Google Andriod G1. All I can say it is no where close to the iphone. After 4 months of ownership I had sold it and picked up another iphone. The whole open source thing isn't all its cracked up to be. The app store was a joke. But I was an early adopter, so things could have changed.

Quick Reply: Why Apple *doesn't* always rock...