Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

When cops harass you for driving a nice car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHOA!!! The last couple posts got pretty nasty didn't they? I don't know anything about this little incident other than what was originally posted, and I assume no one else knows anything else about it either, other than Pkorkis himself. Which is why I just want to say that before we start jumping to conclusions, maybe we should just politely ask him a few clarifying questions first. For instance:

1. How dark is your tint?
2. Where was your license plate when you were pulled over?

I didn't read anything about either of this two questions, so if I missed something, I'm sorry.

The reason I say this is because maybe his tints are legal, I mean, it was 8pm (hence night time) therefore they could have looked darker than they really are. Also, if his license plate mount was broken, but he placed the license plate in his rear window then in my opinion he's not at fault.

Bear with me for a moment. Say someone tried to steal his plate and broke the mount in the process, however they couldn't get away with the plate for one reason or another. What are you supposed to do with the plate then? Leave it dangling, I'd take it off and put it in my rear window. Now, I know this was not the case, but how do the police officers know that this is not the case? They don't. Granted, things like this don't happen that often, but I'm sure they happen a little bit more often in California, which is where he's from, so they might buy it. Regardless of how or when it was broken, the police officers don't know that information unless you give it to him. He has no right to harass you, or in my opinion, give you a ticket if you did everything possible to display your plate under the given circumstances. Whether you did that or not, I don't know, but I say if your tints are legal and you displayed the plate in the back window you should fight it, unless of course you spilled the whole story to the police officers and now have no chance of winning.

Oh, and I assume you were, but just to make sure. You were joking about the Crown Vics, right BERM? Yeah you'll get him from 0-60, but he's not just going to stop after that. Those things are insane, they'll catch you. And I don't need to mention they have radios, it's not going to be hard for them to get you.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

The fact is, he did not have a front or a REAR license plate on. Being young had nothing to do with him being pulled over. It is quite possible the cops pulled up along side to see how many people were in the car because they considered it stolen and might have needed backup? I don't think age had anything to do with this incident.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='258709' date='Mar 22 2006, 07:36 PM
The fact is, he did not have a front or a REAR license plate on. Being young had nothing to do with him being pulled over. It is quite possible the cops pulled up along side to see how many people were in the car because they considered it stolen and might have needed backup? I don't think age had anything to do with this incident.
I agree with that
Old 03-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Cool

Originally Posted by BERM' post='258697' date='Mar 22 2006, 09:25 PM
Dodge = "Death Overcomes Driver's Generous Ego"
Dodge = "Drips Oil, Drops Grease, Everywhere"

Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 550i (5.4.06 pickup in Munchen) '01 740i (on the block) '03 325i (wife's) '02 330i (retired and missed) '93 325is (the one that started it all)

A couple exerpts from the California Governmental Code, Vehicle Code:

Section 5200(a): When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front, one in the rear.

Section 5201: License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued...

Section 26708(a): (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.
(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view
through the windshield or side windows.

______

In the instance of 26708, tint is included as it is a film "applied upon" the windows. Later in the section it eliminates the requirement for windows behind the driver. The loophole here, by the way, is to install tinted glass which has the tint "in" the glass, not as a film "on" the glass, but who wants to spend money on that?

Bottom line, the citations were given for valid reasons. Yes, I believe it is very rare (and somewhat chickenshiite) to get cited for these things, which takes us back to one of the main points...some cops are dicks.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Black/Black, Premium, Steptronic, 28%tint

I had a similar problem. I am 18 and have a 530i. I was in a designated left hand turn lane and floored it so i could get in the right lane which continued straeight. I was not going over the speed limit and two other cars did the same. As i was passing the cars i also passed a cop. So she sees all of us passing and then she sees me. She lets the other 2 drivers go and pulls me over. She starts to yell at me that its because drivers like me accidents happen and i apologized to her saying i had no idea what i did was illegal( i really did not know) after 20 minutes she comes back and says i have a clean record and gives me a warning. If i was driving a civic this would not have happened, but nothing drives lie my 5 series so it was worht it.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

So what does the California Government Code, Vehicle Code tell you to do if your mounting bracket is broken?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 550i (5.4.06 pickup in Munchen) '01 740i (on the block) '03 325i (wife's) '02 330i (retired and missed) '93 325is (the one that started it all)

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='258733' date='Mar 22 2006, 08:30 PM
So what does the California Government Code, Vehicle Code tell you to do if your mounting bracket is broken?
Nothing, I'm sure, but see the last line of my post.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

missing licenses tags are common in Los Angeles -- since there are SO MANY new cars. Most police officers just assume the car is new -- if it is well kept.

charley
Old 03-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by 700700' post='258492' date='Mar 22 2006, 12:32 PM
come to my country... if you drive here without a licence plate theyll shoot at the car
People in the US have it so good, they don't know what's it like in other countries where the road is own by cops.

Quick Reply: When cops harass you for driving a nice car...