Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

When cops harass you for driving a nice car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='258848' date='Mar 23 2006, 09:42 AM
If this was in the UK you'd be in big trouble for driving without a licence plate properly displayed.

The immediate assumption would be that you were planning some sort of criminal act (stolen car, robbery, speeding evasion, hit and run, drink driving).

Driving in a car that cannot be identified is a big deal and I think the cops are well justified in pulling you over. They are also probably justified in targetting you cause you are a young male, since young men commit about 90% of these sort of crimes.

I'm sorry that they were rude to you, but the bottom line is that they have a job to do (which includes protecting other motorists) and that you have a duty to make sure you car is road legal.

I say - fix the plates (and the tints although I don't think they were the issue) and move on - just remember how lucky you are to have such a nice car at your tender age and that many people will be envious of that.

I had some incidents with the police when I was younger which felt unfair (I was stopped in a case of mistaken identity. They wouldn't admit to this and then proceeded to try to find something to do me for - in the end a very slightly bald tyre due to a tracking problem).

Life isn't fair though and the law's the law.
While I don't disagree with any of the statements so many have made, and I don't mean any disrespect I think trying to compare the UK or any other place to San Diego is silly.

Many of you have no idea where he is. He's in Pacific Beach (P, and they're not worrying about "high crime" stuff like that there. Really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Beach
Old 03-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='258873' date='Mar 23 2006, 03:48 PM
While I don't disagree with any of the statements so many have made, and I don't mean any disrespect I think trying to compare the UK or any other place to San Diego is silly.

Many of you have no idea where he is. He's in Pacific Beach (P, and they're not worrying about "high crime" stuff like that there. Really.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Beach
It looks like a nice place and I hope it is as crime free as you suggest.

In the UK this is quite a serious offence. You would not get very far at all without being pulled over by the police.

You can be prosecuted and fined up to a ?1000 just for using the wrong spacing or font, or allowing your plates to be obscured by dirt.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Fact is, driving w/o a PLATE ON is illegal, it being a new car or NOT. So you have no room to complain why you got pulled over.

Now, if they pulled you over for no reason other than you were young, then I can see venting about it. I hate it when people "assume" they were called out because they're young, because of their race, etc etc. Don't pull that card unless it's true. In this case, they had every right to pull you over.

That being said, I don't like cops in general and avoid them by obeying the law.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Members

I have a similar problem. I am 17 years old and I was driving 90 MPH on the freeway in my sweet 545 and this cop saw me driving and pulled me over because he was jealous and also because he must have seen that I am young. I don't have plates on my car because I think it looks better and I don't want to get red light photo tickets because I run red lights a lot.

The cop was totally mean because he said I have to have license plates because it's the law. WTF?!? I also have limo tint because it looks sweet and he also gave me a hard time about that (I bet it's because he can't afford tint on his bicycle that he must drive because all cops are poor).

Oh and I don't have a driver's license and he got all bent out of shape about that. It must be because I'm being profiled because I'm young and also because he's jealous of my AWESOME BMW. Especially here in So Cal it's really rare to see a 5 series so I can only imagine how jealous it makes him to see me driving such a rare automobile.

Anyway, I'm sick of all these cops enforcing the laws. Just because our legislature that we elected voted upon and codified these laws is no reason to go enforcing them.

These cops are all clearly poor, jealous slobs who have an axe to grind.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

I don't think this discussion is going to get anyway/any further than it already has. I think a couple people have missed what Pkorkis was trying to say. He never said that he wasn't deserving of being pulled over. In fact, in the long run, I'm sure everyone is glad he did, it means that the police are actually doing their job. Instead of letting an unmarked car go, they actually stopped him to check out what the deal was. What he is saying is that they didn't have to harass him after they pulled him over and after they had already given him a ticket. A simple "Son, do you know that you're missing your rear license plate?" would have been more than enough for Pkorkis to explain his situation. They didn't need to make any remarks about his dad buying the car, or make him get out of the car after he recieved the ticket. Now, if you don't feel they were inappropriate with they're behavior then that's one thing. But he never said he didn't deserve to be pulled over, and he never said that he thought they were just jealous of him. In fact he made another post that said the exact opposite. He is over the entire thing, all he wants to know now is if he has to make the changes to his car by the time he has to pay the ticket. So can we please just help him out with that now instead of going on with this debate.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='258989' date='Mar 23 2006, 12:23 PM
I don't think this discussion is going to get anyway/any further than it already has. I think a couple people have missed what Pkorkis was trying to say. He never said that he wasn't deserving of being pulled over. In fact, in the long run, I'm sure everyone is glad he did, it means that the police are actually doing their job. Instead of letting an unmarked car go, they actually stopped him to check out what the deal was. What he is saying is that they didn't have to harass him after they pulled him over and after they had already given him a ticket. A simple "Son, do you know that you're missing your rear license plate?" would have been more than enough for Pkorkis to explain his situation. They didn't need to make any remarks about his dad buying the car, or make him get out of the car after he recieved the ticket. Now, if you don't feel they were inappropriate with they're behavior then that's one thing. But he never said he didn't deserve to be pulled over, and he never said that he thought they were just jealous of him. In fact he made another post that said the exact opposite. He is over the entire thing, all he wants to know now is if he has to make the changes to his car by the time he has to pay the ticket. So can we please just help him out with that now instead of going on with this debate.

Well if that's the case, then titling your topic When cops harass you for driving a nice car... probably isn't the best choice. How about Do I need to get my violation corrected before the ticket is signed off? Which by the way I have a problem with in and of itself.

Because what's essentially being said here is "I fully understand the law. I choose not to obey it. Can I or can I not get around the law without fixing my tint?" He's TELLING US that he's either not going to take it off, or put it right back on. Why should I respect that? And why should I "help him out"?

Guess what, I think my car would look a lot better with tint or without a front license plate. But I don't put illegal tint on and I have a front plate because it's the law. I may not agree with it, but it's there for a reason. Oh well. Why is that such a foreign concept? Why is this such a ME generation that says "the law is for OTHER people to obey."

The tinting issue is for the safety of the officers themselves. Having dark tint is like a big middle finger to the cops, and then you expect them not to do something about it?

Finally, if the cops were rude to the intial poster, that's not acceptable. I'm sure we can all agree upon that. But to infer that it's because he has a nice car is jumping to conclusions.

There are jerks in every profession, and if someone has a run-in with one of them, that sucks. It shouldn't happen like that. But that has to be with the individual officer being a jerk (probably on AND off the job), not the violator being young, having a nice car, etc.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Scott' post='258992' date='Mar 23 2006, 12:34 PM
Well if that's the case, then titling your topic When cops harass you for driving a nice car... probably isn't the best choice. How about Do I need to get my violation corrected before the ticket is signed off? Which by the way I have a problem with in and of itself.

Because what's essentially being said here is "I fully understand the law. I choose not to obey it. Can I or can I not get around the law without fixing my tint?" He's TELLING US that he's either not going to take it off, or put it right back on. Why should I respect that? And why should I "help him out"?

Guess what, I think my car would look a lot better with tint or without a front license plate. But I don't put illegal tint on and I have a front plate because it's the law. I may not agree with it, but it's there for a reason. Oh well. Why is that such a foreign concept? Why is this such a ME generation that says "the law is for OTHER people to obey."

The tinting issue is for the safety of the officers themselves. Having dark tint is like a big middle finger to the cops, and then you expect them not to do something about it?

Finally, if the cops were rude to the intial poster, that's not acceptable. I'm sure we can all agree upon that. But to infer that it's because he has a nice car is jumping to conclusions.

There are jerks in every profession, and if someone has a run-in with one of them, that sucks. It shouldn't happen like that. But that has to be with the individual officer being a jerk (probably on AND off the job), not the violator being young, having a nice car, etc.

OK you win.

But for the record, I don't think his tint is illegal (35-40%).

If it is, you're telling me that every aftermarket car shop in California is illegal? I'm sure some are, but not all of them. And that means West Coast Customes is breaking the law on MTV every single show. Why is nothing being done about that? Either way, they're rides are hideous and should be illegal just for being hideous.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='259015' date='Mar 23 2006, 01:26 PM
OK you win.

But for the record, I don't think his tint is illegal (35-40%).

If it is, you're telling me that every aftermarket car shop in California is illegal? I'm sure some are, but not all of them. And that means West Coast Customes is breaking the law on MTV every single show. Why is nothing being done about that? Either way, they're rides are hideous and should be illegal just for being hideous.
I can understand why you'd think that being out of state, but as most drivers here know, any tint on the front windows or windshield is illegal with few exceptions. From CHP (http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html):

Tinting the front side windows and the windshield (except for a narrow band at the top of the windshield). Windows behind the driver's head may be tinted. If rear window is tinted, right-side mirror is required (26708 VC).

There are lots of little laws that people don't seem to care about that are listed on that website. It's worth checking out if you're one of the people that actually plan to follow the law (glad that you're out there people).

As for MTV I can't say I disagree with you... there are some pretty ugly rides they create, but I guess it's like ugly clothes at runway fashion shows. They're for display, not practicality.

But remember, it's not illegal to put tint on a car (for example), just to drive it that way on public roads. You can paint your windows black if you want as long as you're just driving it around your private ranch.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Premium Pakage, Weather Package, Navigation M3 Conv Sold!!

I was doing 155mph once in my M3 and the cops pulled me over because they were jealous of me, cause I'm young and beautiful.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i,silver grey metalic, sport/premium package,nav,pdc,chrome style 121,logic7 sound

Originally Posted by Scott' post='258985' date='Mar 23 2006, 12:19 PM
I have a similar problem. I am 17 years old and I was driving 90 MPH on the freeway in my sweet 545 and this cop saw me driving and pulled me over because he was jealous and also because he must have seen that I am young. I don't have plates on my car because I think it looks better and I don't want to get red light photo tickets because I run red lights a lot.

The cop was totally mean because he said I have to have license plates because it's the law. WTF?!? I also have limo tint because it looks sweet and he also gave me a hard time about that (I bet it's because he can't afford tint on his bicycle that he must drive because all cops are poor).

Oh and I don't have a driver's license and he got all bent out of shape about that. It must be because I'm being profiled because I'm young and also because he's jealous of my AWESOME BMW. Especially here in So Cal it's really rare to see a 5 series so I can only imagine how jealous it makes him to see me driving such a rare automobile.

Anyway, I'm sick of all these cops enforcing the laws. Just because our legislature that we elected voted upon and codified these laws is no reason to go enforcing them.

These cops are all clearly poor, jealous slobs who have an axe to grind.
LMFAO....... By the way. All you haters out there who bash the police. You are right! In fact you should boycot them....Next time you need police assistance, don't call.

Quick Reply: When cops harass you for driving a nice car...