Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

When cops harass you for driving a nice car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So yesterday I'm driving on Garnet Ave. @ 8pm in San Diego. I don't have a back license plate for certain reasons. I pull out of a Chipotle with a girl I'm seeing and driving back to my house when I see a cop behind me. Eventually we pull up a stop light and the cop pulls into the left hand turn lane next to me and I'm going straight. I see the cop in the passenger seat scope out the car and then me driving (a 20 year old White kid wearing a hat - what does the cop think? "spoiled punk"). The light turns green and I drive away and I see the cop jump back out of the turning lane, come behind me and pull me over. They then ask if I'm the primary driver b/c the car is under my dad's business. I say no, that my dad leaves it in San Diego every now and then and I drive it, the cop from the passenger seat says "Oh so his dad DOESN'T even know he's driving it". Then ask why I don't have a back license plate and I say that it is b/c the piece the plate attachs to is broken. The cops are being condescending and just plain rude to me as I am being as nice as possible. Even the girl I'm dating in the passenger seat says when they walk away that the cops are being such assholes and that she couldn't believe how rude and inappropriate they were acting towards me. After sitting in the car for over 20min., the cop finally comes back and gives me my ticket. And then asks me to step out of the car to show him what is wrong w/ my back plate and why I can't attach it to my car. I go back there and explain it to him and he doesn't seem to understand that a license plate actually attaches to something rather than directly to the car. Doesn't believe me, makes me get the license plate as I again try to explain it to him. Overall this whole process took over 25min., I have to fix a front & back license plate, & fix my front tint. The thing that pisses me off the most isn't the ticket, its the fact that they were going to leave me alone until they saw that it was a young guy driving the car. Some cops are invaluable to society, and some are just plain pigs that give the rest of them bad names...

Thought I would vent, thanks for reading...
Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this fixed easily w/out having to deal w/ removing and reapplying the tint. Also, anyone know of a way I can get a front license plate on my car without actually doing any drilling into the car b/c I plan on removing it after I clear the ticket.

-Thanks
-Phil
Old 03-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

You are right and they shouldnt treat you that way. Just fix the plate and they wont bother you again !
Old 03-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Members

Is there any way I can just pay the fines w/out having to remove tint and put on front license plate?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by Pkorkis' post='258486' date='Mar 22 2006, 01:08 PM
Is there any way I can just pay the fines w/out having to remove tint and put on front license plate?
Is there any way that one can pay the fine without having to waste 25 mins in idle chatter with the cops?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Sounds like you just got the wrong "dynamic duo". If it's any consolation, you -will- get respect as you grow older.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Members

I hope so. And I understand that I should have had a rear license plate, but once they found out the vehicle was my car, I don't think pulling me out of my car was justified...
Old 03-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

come to my country... if you drive here without a licence plate theyll shoot at the car
Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

I encountered a similar thing when I had my 3 series. The cop was unbelievably rude and just a jerk. Don't let it get you down. Just think that he'll probaly never get to drive a 5 series.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Just the basic 525.... premium package, xenon headlights

Originally Posted by Pkorkis' post='258491' date='Mar 22 2006, 10:28 AM
I hope so. And I understand that I should have had a rear license plate, but once they found out the vehicle was my car, I don't think pulling me out of my car was justified...
my wife got pulled over also in the city of glendale....cop said the tint was too dark he cant see wether the driver is a male or female..ive had the tint for over a year now and when i am driving the car i would drive along a CHP car in the freeway but never stopped me. I guess its because my wife was driving a nice car that triggered him to pull her over and my wife said that the cop added that she doesnt have to fix the tint by the due date she just have to simply appear on that due date at the glendale municipal hall and pay the $10 fee......if i take off the tint i would expect city of glendale to be free of cars that has tint on the front driver and passenger cars or else i would complain to the city of glendale....
Old 03-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

i cant believe the attitude towards number plates in the usa is so lax, if it was my choice no car should be on the road without proper front and rear plates

Quick Reply: When cops harass you for driving a nice car...