Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

What would you do with 5 million dollars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

although dropping burning dollar bills from a helicopter over a ghetto would be the funniest, i would inact my 5 million dollar plan.

buy 20 250,000 dollar condos/homes. rent each one for $2K a month. that is a profit of $40K a month. even after paying a property manager and taxes/insurance, you would still pocket at least $30K a month. keep in mind, you bought them outright so 1. no mortgage, 2. property is fairly liquid at the right price, even in this market. over the years while you build equity on your original investment, you will be earning a substantial income enabling you to continue investing.

what would you do?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

First, I'd buy me a mansion with 10 car garage then buy all the car of my dreams then the rest hmmmm.......dunno, maybe a condo sounds profitable!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Members

It reminds me of a Canadian joke...Quebec was given a $250 million dollar balance to improve their city. They said we want to be seperated from the rest of Canada as a seprate country, we want to build a wall all around Quebec seperating us from everyone else. This wall was 20' high and completely surrounded the entire province of Quebec. Ontario was then given a budget of $250 million dollars and asked what they want to do with it. "fill up water over the wall"

Seriously..I would buy a street, build a moat and guard tower. Drive around in my e60 on my street.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Contributors

i was kinda being serious guys. now investment tycoons on here? am i expecting too much from fellow BMW drivers??
Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Payoff all debt for me and immediate family. Buy myself a list of fancy cars totaling 500k - 1M. 1M real estate investment. 1M in cash reserves. The rest I'd leave up to my finacial advisor. Or maybe just give it to Craig. He seems to know what he's doing too.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

like that dude from Office Space eloquently put "I'd do two chick at the same time, man! And if I had a million bucks, I think I could hook that up, cuz chicks dig dudes with money" hahahaa

But seriously speaking, I think 50% will go into RE projects almost immediately. Income-producing properties. Not trying to mimic you, bro - but it is a great way to invest, bc people will need to live somewhere, no matter the economy.

I'd use 25% of it as speculative trading capital - I'm a trader, so for me its kind of a no-brainer.

And the remainder 25% I'd keep in brick and mortar business local to whereever I'm living - a successful restaurant, bar or even a gas station - something with a good cash flow, low overhead and high mark ups. I've not looked into brick and mortar businesses lately, but I have a few different ideas of what could be done even in Brooklyn today with pretty much a minimum of investment that has potential to take off.

I don't believe in donating money to organizations that decide how to distribute it - I'd rather do it through opening successful businesses and stimulate localles by providing jobs to people that can perform and deserve to be paid good salaries...

and now, back work for me
Old 06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='897523' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:22 AM
i was kinda being serious guys. now investment tycoons on here? am i expecting too much from fellow BMW drivers??
Well if you want serious I don't think dropping money over a ghetto is not funny at all. And for your condo idea it would be highly unlikely that you would be able to rent all the condos your proposing for $2000 a month, especially in this economy.

With your plan it would take you a little over 13.8 years to recoup your 5 million at 30,000 a month and imagine the headaches alone the way if you don't sell the prop.

How about a modest 5% a year yield in a money market account. With 5 million you'll see a true profit of $3,450,000 for the same time period and the risk is minimal. Just my opinion. Take your interest on the 5 mil which would be $250,000 a year and divide that by 12 months and you'll realize a true $20,833 profit a month.

I hope my math is correct....
Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='897575' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:26 AM
Well if you want serious I don't think dropping money over a ghetto is funny at all. And for your condo idea it would be highly unlikely that you would be able to rent all the condos your proposing for $2000 a month, especially in this economy.

With your plan it would take you a little over 13.8 years to recoup your 5 million at 30,000 a month and imagine the headaches alone the way if you don't sell the prop.

How about a modest 5% a year yield in a money market account. With 5 million you'll see a true profit of $3,450,000 for the same time period and the risk is minimal. Just my opinion. Take your interest on the 5 mil which would be $250,000 a year and divide that by 12 months and you'll realize a true $20,833 profit a month.

I hope my math is correct....
1. why am i trying to recoup my 5 million? i still own 5 million in property, which is building equity. point is moot.
2. Sure I could rent the condos. buy properties that already have tenants. very common.
3. headaches if i dont sell the property? why, I dont have a mortgage payment and i am surely not strapped for cash. My property manager handles that crap anyway. it is a paper investment for me.
4. risk is minimal in real estate when the economy is down. 20K is less per month not to mention the profit lost on built equity. I will take the 10-15K a month extra over your plan and put it in a high yeild money market account if it makes you happy. modest 5% return though? doubtful in this world at this time.
5. the dropping dollar bills was a joke. that was implied.

...next?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Contributors

Old 06-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525I

first thing buy an m5 baby!

Quick Reply: What would you do with 5 million dollars?