Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

What to do while on vacation in HI

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 (01/05 Build) Titanium Silver Metallic 530i, Black Dakota Leather Interior w/Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Cold, Premium & Sport Packages, Steptronic, Bluetooth MODS: OEM 166's (M5 Offset) on General's (245/35 & 275/30), 15mm H&R Spacers, Auxiliary Audio Input, 6000K Xenon Headlights and Matching HID Fogs, AIB v3.0, SprintBooster, OEM LED License Plate Bulbs, Smoked LED Side Markers, Matte Black Kidney Grills

Anybody have personal suggestions on what courses to play while in Oahu & Kauai? I don't mind a challenge but am eager to play some beautiful and picturesque courses. Pictures don't do justice while i'm looking at all the different courses online and figured many of you have some insight

And if there are any other suggestions for things to do while not on the course, I certainly don't mind the input as well. Just keep in mind this is a family oriented trip

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: The family ride: Stock '95 525i. Black on tan.

Originally Posted by Idonkare' post='849325' date='Apr 16 2009, 10:00 AM
Anybody have personal suggestions on what courses to play while in Oahu & Kauai? I don't mind a challenge but am eager to play some beautiful and picturesque courses. Pictures don't do justice while i'm looking at all the different courses online and figured many of you have some insight

And if there are any other suggestions for things to do while not on the course, I certainly don't mind the input as well. Just keep in mind this is a family oriented trip

Thanks!

Hawaii...how exciting! I just went there about a month ago for a week. How long are you staying there?? Make sure you rent a car so you can drive all over the island.

I don't have any golf course recommendations but for the other various family-oriented activities, you can go to Hanauma Bay (East side of Oahu) for snorkeling (great place but make sure you go earlier or when the tide is calmer/lower). I was able to see a sea turtle there.

Waikiki beach isn't that much to see, but you can do your whale watching, para sailing, jet skiing, and learning how to surf there. I would say the better beaches on Oahu would be in North Shore.

Make sure you stop by some of the side-of-the-road shrimp trucks if you head west or north in Oahu. You can also go to the Dole plantation (the pineapple company) and go through their tours or go through the pineapple maze (largest maze in 2008).

You can always go to the historical things like Pearl Harbor, etc. You can also go to Paradise Cove (west side of the island) for the luau. There are several ranches you can go horseback riding and see where they filmed some episodes of Lost or Jurassic Park.

These are just a handful of the things I did in the week I was there, but I hope this helps with your family trip and I'm sorry I don't have any golf course recommendations. Good luck, have fun, and bring a camera!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Grow a moustache, rent a red Ferrari 308, and drive like a maniac. Sorry, when I think of Hawaii, those Magnum P.I. re-runs jump to mind.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I'm in Oahu as we speak, and I think Sourphish has it about right. The best beaches do seem to be on the North Shore. We visited the ranch Sourphish mentions on Monday (Kualoa Ranch) and we recommend the jungle tour (in a six wheel Pinzgauer) rather than the movie tour. You get to see the movie locations anyway (and finishing up with the spectacular valley where the initial stampede scene in Jurassic Park was filmed - truly an awesome sight). Also look at a trip to Diamond Head (a massive volcano crater just east of Honolulu, although it take a while to hike to the top). Went to Pearl Harbor yesterday, it's a very humbling experience. The tour takes you out on a boat to the wreck of the Arizona, where over 1100 men still lay to this day. The Dole plantation is worth a trip, as is the waterfall on the North West of the island. It's just a great place to drive around (we drove around the entire island on Monday, and the scenery is just spectacular). We're taking a boat out today to go snorkeling over a couple of reefs so we're looking forward to that. Enjoy your trip!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by sourphish' post='849348' date='Apr 16 2009, 12:15 PM
Hawaii...how exciting! I just went there about a month ago for a week. How long are you staying there?? Make sure you rent a car so you can drive all over the island.

I don't have any golf course recommendations but for the other various family-oriented activities, you can go to Hanauma Bay (East side of Oahu) for snorkeling (great place but make sure you go earlier or when the tide is calmer/lower). I was able to see a sea turtle there.

Waikiki beach isn't that much to see, but you can do your whale watching, para sailing, jet skiing, and learning how to surf there. I would say the better beaches on Oahu would be in North Shore.

Make sure you stop by some of the side-of-the-road shrimp trucks if you head west or north in Oahu. You can also go to the Dole plantation (the pineapple company) and go through their tours or go through the pineapple maze (largest maze in 2008).

You can always go to the historical things like Pearl Harbor, etc. You can also go to Paradise Cove (west side of the island) for the luau. There are several ranches you can go horseback riding and see where they filmed some episodes of Lost or Jurassic Park.

These are just a handful of the things I did in the week I was there, but I hope this helps with your family trip and I'm sorry I don't have any golf course recommendations. Good luck, have fun, and bring a camera!
Ahhhh, brings back memories. My wife and I were in Oahu 2 years ago. In addition to what sourphish has mentioned, you can also drop by at the Polenesian Cultural Center.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Kauai List:
Waimea Canyon
Napali Boat tour
Hamura's Saimin- My favorite noodle place in Lihue.
Smith's Wailua River Tour
NO Helo tour please

Enjoy your vacation in Kauai.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I've only played the courses on Maui and Lanai. I played the Plantation Course countless times on Maui, which is where they play the Mercedes Championship each year. This is the first tournament of the year, every year, on the PGA Tour. I've played the Challenge at Manele and the Experience at Koele a few times too. These two courses are on Lanai.

The 12th hole at the Challenge at Manele is very famous. Why? This par 3 on the ocean, has you hitting over the ocean to a green on a bluff. It is also where Bill and Melinda Gates were married in 1994. That would be Bill Gates of Microsoft. I think I replayed this hole 5 times, the first time I played it. It was one of the most stunning holes I've ever played in golf. Very similar to that of #7 at Pebble Beach.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

wassup Idonkare!

as you well know, golfing in hawaii is a must if you are visiting. and you are right, the pics in golf magazines do not do justice to the numerous picturesque course on the islands. I can only speak of courses on oahu since that is my hometown (born and raised in Honolulu). the only other course i have golfed outside of Oahu is the Kaanapali (North and South) courses on Maui (sorry, that didn't help). The north being mountainside (hills and ravines)and south (flat course). just in case you were to revisit

there is one course i highly recommend on Oahu:

The Koolau Golf Course. this course will humble even the pro's. with deep and wide ravines, large sand and deep bunkers, lush vegetation, this course was once considered the toughest in the country. if you want a challenge, this is a must. bring extra balls located in kaneohe along side the koolau mountain ranges. 20-30 minute from waikiki. call early in your trip to book a tee time. this course is very picturesque so bring a camera and take alot, i mean alot of pictures. trust me, it'll be worth it.

other notable courses i have golfed and recommend are Luana Hills golf and country club (another mountainside g/c in Kailua), Turtle Bay g/c (fairly flat with wide fairways) on the north shore approx. 40-50 min from waikiki and Waikele and Kunia courses (central Oahu overlooking Pearl Harbor)

enjoy your vacation and throw in a little surf while you're there , and most importantly don't forget the suntan lotion!!

ac
Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

HI? = Scuba diving!

Whale watching is something for the winter months, BTW.