Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!
View Poll Results: Do you use valet parking?
I would never have someone else drive my car
31.37%
Sure, they are used to parking cars
13.73%
Sometimes, when I have no choices
54.90%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Valet parking

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to leave my car at a valet parking this afternoon..for the first time...not a good feeling!
Old 07-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Hardly any valet parking available this side of the pond, but I can understand your discomfort..
Old 07-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

No Valet parking over here too. Sometimes in an hotel and I never use it.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Members

A lot of the restaurants, cafes, etc. over here require you to leave the car with a valet so I pretty much don't have much choice over here. What's disconcerting is that sometimes when I get the car back from the valet, I can immediately tell that he has been playing with the I-drive, or that on a hot day, he had the car idling with the air condition on (in this instance, I went back to the restaurant and made threats to the manager). Valet parking sucks!!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Members

Does it matter that he had the a/c on when the car was idling? Can't see any problem with that. the car won't mind and I don't mind. We don't really expect the valets to sit in a red hot car without it on do we? Personally I'd be delighted he had chilled the car down for me.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:36 AM
Members

Oh that we had valet parking over here in the first place. Maybe a few more illegal immigrants would help bring labour costs down far enough and then we will.

Mind you I'm not sure your typical illegal immigrant is my prefrred choice of valet.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Members

of course it matters that the valet had the air conditioning on while the car was idling! I was in the restaurant for at least an hour! Would you want your car to idle for an hour with the air conditioning on in 100+ degree heat? I don't think so......
Old 07-29-2004, 01:16 AM
Members

Well, I suppose it wastes a cupful of fuel, and it's not really necessary to have it on for an hour. But ...... I still can't see what the problem is. Are you suggesting that having the a/c on while idling is in some way damaging to the car (as well as the environment). The car is designed to idle for long periods if necessary. The a/c is designed to run while the car is idling so........?

As to the 100 degree heat I can't see why it matters if the temp is 100 degrees or 70 degrees. The hotter it is the more pleased I'd be they left it on for me!
Old 07-29-2004, 04:06 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Although not an expert in how newer cars are built, my E60 (and my '00 E39) are NOT supposed to sit idling for long periods, with or without the a/c on. This is stated in the instruction manual and is repeated by the dealer's service personnel. E.g. waiting at the shopping maill for 30-45 minutes for the wife to shop with the car idling is NOT good for it. Can someone with more technical knowledge on why this is the case please chime in? Thanks.

Sam
Old 07-29-2004, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My bet is that it has something to do with temperature.

An car at idle is not going to benefit from air moving across the radiator and/or the pumping of additional coolant through the system. (Water pump not spinnning very fast.)

There's probably more reasons but for now, that's the only thing I can think of.

Quick Reply: Valet parking