Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

US Military Pays $400 A Gallon For Fuel In Afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by JETBLACK530I' post='1036285' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:45 AM
Then you put a price on your freedom.
its free in HK
Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JETBLACK530I' post='1036285' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:45 PM
I served for 7 years and still work for the federal government, and I have volunteered for a deployment to Afghanistan as a civilian. I don't need to put a price on it, I work for it.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='1036288' date='Oct 19 2009, 08:48 PM
its free in HK
The downward spiral of the female population due to abortions and other means of removing the non male births in china has already started an interesting trend. Read up a while back on some korean blogs that chinese farmers were buying korean wives for about 200-500$ from north korean families. This may stem the tide for a while but eventually if the male birth only tradition continues they may have to resort stranger methods of acquiring wives. Or the China of 2050 may be a nation of horny bachelors with nowhere to turn.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Members

My Ride: V

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1035436' date='Oct 18 2009, 11:15 PM
This ranks right up there with the $800 hammers and $300 toilet seats. Please, rest assured your military is not that stupid. These budgetary anomalies are actually a great way to conceal funding for black ops (of which there are thousands).
Very interesting.. never thought about that before but def seems like something that could be happening. I like that idea much more than losing the money in bureaucratic BS like our state money disappears into.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by BluedMan' post='1036631' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:41 AM
Very interesting.. never thought about that before but def seems like something that could be happening. I like that idea much more than losing the money in bureaucratic BS like our state money disappears into.
These types of things happen all the time, the DoD budget is public record, as such they cannot realistically reveal how the dollars are ACTUALLY spent. Only the senators approved for this type of info are briefed as to the true expenditures for a given operation (them and the GAO - but they aren't talking either).

It isn't a matter of the price of freedom - as a veteran myself, even one young and capable American life is too great a cost for me, but it is a cost that must be paid by the very good and brave young people who serve. This discussion focuses on supposed stupidity in the military regarding paying too much for fuel - which I don't think is happening.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JETBLACK530I' post='1036285' date='Oct 20 2009, 06:45 AM
Funny, as i thought the war in Afghanistan was more about the freedom of the locals from the suppressors as the war in Iraq was about to "free the Iraqi people" of Saddam's evil regime.

In the US history i don't remember of a single act of war that would threaten the freedom of the US citizens.

Having said all that i wouldn't really bother too much if i were an American citizen as i think the war in Iraq has provided some relative but very real 'fruits of war'. Too bad for the cost of lives !!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='1036980' date='Oct 20 2009, 04:12 PM
Funny, as i thought the war in Afghanistan was more about the freedom of the locals from the suppressors as the war in Iraq was about to "free the Iraqi people" of Saddam's evil regime.

In the US history i don't remember of a single act of war that would threaten the freedom of the US citizens.

Having said all that i wouldn't really bother too much if i were an American citizen as i think the war in Iraq has provided some relative but very real 'fruits of war'. Too bad for the cost of lives !!

Threats to American freedom:

Revolutionary war

War of 1812

Civil war (if you happened to be a slave)

WWII

Other than those, yep none "historically"
Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1036984' date='Oct 21 2009, 02:16 AM
Threats to American freedom:

Revolutionary war

War of 1812

Civil war (if you happened to be a slave)

WWII

Other than those, yep none "historically"
IMHO Civil war should not be on the list as for the other two i can't comment.

It's true that my history is quite limited but i don't to see how WWII was a threat to US, in fact the real reasons(s) US joined the war are still debated and speculated considering the US has remained neutral for quite some time. Also the surprise attack of the Japanese still remains a dilemma.

Anyhow my point was that from WWII (aprox 70 years ago) till today US fought how many wars? From those wars how many of them were a threat to the US freedom?

Later edit: Ok let me put it in another way: Like it or not, let's face it: As the title in a way suggests the US military is a war machine, a money making machine with lots of other implications. But most and foremost it's a money making industry. Truth be told US can't or should not be seen as an invading country, even though it is capable of such a thing, but tons of money are invested in the military industry, money that have to bring a return. Since money is pumped in the war machine, bullets have to be fired from time to time and missiles have to be launched so to avoid overstocking and to further improve R&D. So if some 'existing threats' are not really threats but more or less a pain in the a@@, as was the case of Saddam Hussein which let's be honest wasn't capable in any way to threaten the mighty US, the US military is surely quick on the trigger. The US military has always been seen as the "police of the world" and i don't know if since they are capable of such a thing this gives them right to act as such.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='1037002' date='Oct 21 2009, 07:37 AM
IMHO Civil war should not be on the list as for the other two i can't comment.

It's true that my history is quite limited but i don't to see how WWII was a threat to US, in fact the real reasons(s) US joined the war are still debated and speculated considering the US has remained neutral for quite some time. Also the surprise attack of the Japanese still remains a dilemma.

Anyhow my point was that from WWII (aprox 70 years ago) till today US fought how many wars? From those wars how many of them were a threat to the US freedom?

Later edit: Ok let me put it in another way: Like it or not, let's face it: As the title in a way suggests the US military is a war machine, a money making machine with lots of other implications. But most and foremost it's a money making industry. Truth be told US can't or should not be seen as an invading country, even though it is capable of such a thing, but tons of money are invested in the military industry, money that have to bring a return. Since money is pumped in the war machine, bullets have to be fired from time to time and missiles have to be launched so to avoid overstocking and to further improve R&D. So if some 'existing threats' are not really threats but more or less a pain in the a@@, as was the case of Saddam Hussein which let's be honest wasn't capable in any way to threaten the mighty US, the US military is surely quick on the trigger. The US military has always been seen as the "police of the world" and i don't know if since they are capable of such a thing this gives them right to act as such.
this is how I think too, they need to use the old stuff to make way for new 1s
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='1036238
$400 a gallon doesn't add up, for any fuel type, for any type of vehicle, regardless of amount of armor on the vehicle. period.

Originally Posted by JETBLACK530I' post='1036285
The downward spiral of the female population due to abortions and other means of removing the non male births in china has already started an interesting trend. Read up a while back on some korean blogs that chinese farmers were buying korean wives for about 200-500$ ...
yeah, but at these prices, its a shame to let it go, bro

Originally Posted by JETBLACK530I' post='1036314' date='Oct 20 2009, 12:21 AM
...from north korean families. This may stem the tide for a while but eventually if the male birth only tradition continues they may have to resort stranger methods of acquiring wives. Or the China of 2050 may be a nation of horny bachelors with nowhere to turn.
Is that like a way of saying that we're all about to get fvcked by the Chinese or something?

Quick Reply: US Military Pays $400 A Gallon For Fuel In Afghanistan